Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a delema, I am looking at two Commanders both 2006, one is a limited with Quadra-Drive II and a hemi. The other is a base with the 3.7 and has the Quadra-Trac I, or II not sure which. I have spent countless hours looking through the forums and have been hard pressed to find a simple answer to my question.

My previous Jeep was a 1999 XJ that I lifted and took off road frequently, no rock crawling just mountain trails. I am drawn to the Limited because of the Quadra-Drive system (ELSD's), and could care less about the Hemi. I like the Base because it's about 5k cheaper, has the 3.7 better MPG, and lacks the annoying humm of the Hemi, and I could do a lot of stuff to the commander with 5K.

I need to make a decision Monday and would love any opinion that you might like to share. Either way I will be driving one home this week, and can't wait to get my wrenches on it.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
and lacks the annoying humm of the Hemi
I've owned a Limited with the HEMI for almost two years now and haven't heard any annoying hum from the engine. Prior to installing the CAI, the Engine noise hardly intruded in the cabin at highway speeds. With the CAI, there's a nice burble under acceleration, but under normal throttle, it's nearly as quiet as before.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Difference in gas mileage is going to be minuscule. Especially if you put a small lift and slightly larger tires on... the already anemic 3.7L is going to drink a lot trying to get that vehicle moving whereas the 5.7L won't feel a difference.

$5k doesn't buy a lot when it comes to aftermarket for these vehicles. You'll be farther ahead if you start right with the QDII and 5.7L.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay sounds like its going to be the Hemi then, that brings up another question. That little humm, it only happens when I take my foot off the gas, almost sounds like a turbo winding down. Is this the Multi-displacement System, or is there something else I need to look at?

Thanks for everyone that has replied so far.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thats a good question, you already made your choice but I was gonna say less then one out of every three Commanders on the road have the hemi. I kinda like that the Hemi Limited is truly Limited.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Okay sounds like its going to be the Hemi then, that brings up another question. That little humm, it only happens when I take my foot off the gas, almost sounds like a turbo winding down. Is this the Multi-displacement System, or is there something else I need to look at?

Thanks for everyone that has replied so far.
Have a good mechanic listen to it before you buy. That could be gear whine from one of the diffs. A diff rebuilt will run $700-$1000 depending on what needs to be done.

How many miles on it? MIGHT just need some fresh fluid in the diffs & tcase if the previous owner never changed it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Have a good mechanic listen to it before you buy. That could be gear whine from one of the diffs. A diff rebuilt will run $700-$1000 depending on what needs to be done.

How many miles on it? MIGHT just need some fresh fluid in the diffs & tcase if the previous owner never changed it.
It's got 96k for miles and from the inside it looks like it needs some well deserved love, not to mention a big bucket of soap and water.

I'll definitely have my mechanic look it over real good.

They are going to have it in there service department to look at the breaks I might have the sales guy have them flush both diffs and the tcase. Any idea what this runs to have done, I have beat them up pretty bad on price, and just want to know how much more I am asking them to cough up to close this deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts