Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in ideas of how to make use of the space under the XK where the spare tire had been mounted. I have oversized tires and the spare doesn't fit there.

Huey has a spare gas tank. Great idea but I probably don't venture as far afield as Huey.

As you know we don't have a lot of storage space and can always use more.

There are a lot of innovators on this site, so I'm sure you can come up with ideas of how to make it useful and accessible.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It would be bad ass to have a mechanical storage box that drops down and out when a button is pressed, but that is probably out of the range your looking to spend. Maybe a water storage tank. Put a small water pump in it and you can do a quick cleaning of shoes and random stuff.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
It would make a great space for an air tank for onboard air as well.

·
1,993 Posts
Good ideas both of them. Maybe with some assist arms like on hatch backs or something and a mechanical release it wouldn't be the hard to fab a box up that drops down and ball bearing drawer sliders to have something slide out that would be cool. I really like the water and pump idea to clean your self off and in my case hose down the kids before they get back in jeep I would love that. Little buggers get dirty just going out to eat don't get me started on the sand when we go fishing and camping.:twak:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fill it with jelly beans and have a contest where people guess how many jelly beans are in there!
Cracked me up! OK, 50 cents a ticket, to guess. Winner takes half!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I could see it as a toolbox - i dont plan on taking out my third row so having a dedicated location for tools and a good jack (not the factory issue) would be nice.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Dual exhaust. I thought of this because local dealer has a 2008 SRT8 they just took in trade. :SM127:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Two votes for dual exhaust. Also on board air is great idea but don't necessarily have to mount there. Spending 50% less time at the gas pump isn't bad either with extra tank like huey.

·
2,248 Posts
55 gallons of gas at 15 mpg = 825 miles

Turning a switch to refill your front tank will put a smile on your face out in the boonies.

Sharing gas with someone who is out of gas and stranded will do the same.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great ideas guys! Thanks!

I've decided to go with the Jelly Beans.......

Seriously, I'm not sure what I want to do, but I do like the ideas. On board air, water, tool chest, more gas ... all would be good to have. I don't think I can afford 55 gallons of gas though...wink, wink.

I don't know how I could get good access to a tool/storage compartment. That's what I was originally thinking of. Cutting the floor out above that area would probably ruin resale value and weaken the body. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
it seems that you are not in need of a big fuel tank, big water tank and big storage,

why not splitting it in three sections:

1-small fuel tank .. for long trips and longer refill duration.
2-small water tank very good to have in picnics and off-road trips in mud
3-storage area for fixed items such as ,, Air-compressor, water pump, recovery strap ... etc

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
it seems that you are not in need of a big fuel tank, big water tank and big storage,

why not splitting it in three sections:

1-small fuel tank .. for long trips and longer refill duration.
2-small water tank very good to have in picnics and off-road trips in mud
3-storage area for fixed items such as ,, Air-compressor, water pump, recovery strap ... etc
Side note Ahmed. I just want to tell you and the other people on this forum that I think it is awesome to have a contributor from the Middle East exchanging ideas with a mainly U.S. forum. In these times where the American public is mislead by our media and mainstream opinion, that Middle Easterners are all fanatics and enemies of our peoples, it is good to have open communication with all peoples. Don't get me wrong, I am a patriot and a staunch supporter of our boys in uniform, but we here in the U.S. get a little zealous (as do all nationalities) especially when the subject of the Middle East is concerned. Anyway, I always thought that the internet and the exchange of ideas with people all over the world, and being in an environment where people can openly, and honestly share feelings and interests, would in time, shatter all prejudices and misconceptions about other human beings all over the globe. I know I am being a little idealogical and off topic, but I think, rather than dropping bombs (which is sometimes needed, don't get me wrong), we should drop cheap laptops and Wi-Fi to encourage communication amongst world citizens, rather than just taking the advice of our individual politicians and reporters. Point being, that if God forbid, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia should become hostile towards each other, I would encourage other Americans to read and meet people on the internet and forms such as this to establish relationships and respect with people on the other side of the world such as yourself and your family. I would not be comfortable, for whatever reason an American plane dropping explosives on or anywhere by you or your family (not that it will ever happen) because thanks to the internet and this type of forum, I know that most people are not inherently evil, just corrupt governments.

Sorry about the rant, but no one else listens.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
X2 on the onboard air idea!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales "People get along"

I had some ideas:
Hinged plate to fold down. Can the tire lowering mechanism be used to
open and close it??
Recovery gear? Well, not if you are going to need it. May not be able to
get to the gear when needed.
Fuel canister or water? Watch for sloshing back there.
Camp gear storage?
Air compressor?
2nd battery?
What ever you put there, but sure it is secured. (Ok stupid comment, but what do you expect?)

·
Registered
62 Posts
A metal box with recovery gear, a nasty logging chain perhaps. I keep a few in my zj in a large plastic box in the rear. They get nasty and normally stay that way a while until I finally clean them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am going to be getting with a guy next week to take a crack at this. I am thinking about a storage box for recovey items and maybe some camping gear. One thing that has got me puzzled is how high of a box can go back there and not be in the way. I do know that if it is more the 17" deep (front to back) you are going to be in the bumper area. I will post some pics when we get it started.

·
2,248 Posts
Here is a picture of the auxillary fuel tank under construction. This will give you an idea of how much space is available where the spare was located.

This tank fit in the area between the frame rails and had a skid plate welded under it and still was not the low point of clearance.

Sorry, I do not have the dimensions but you can estimate from this picture.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Side note Ahmed. I just want to tell you and the other people on this forum that I think it is awesome to have a contributor from the Middle East exchanging ideas with a mainly U.S. forum. In these times where the American public is mislead by our media and mainstream opinion, that Middle Easterners are all fanatics and enemies of our peoples, it is good to have open communication with all peoples. Don't get me wrong, I am a patriot and a staunch supporter of our boys in uniform, but we here in the U.S. get a little zealous (as do all nationalities) especially when the subject of the Middle East is concerned. Anyway, I always thought that the internet and the exchange of ideas with people all over the world, and being in an environment where people can openly, and honestly share feelings and interests, would in time, shatter all prejudices and misconceptions about other human beings all over the globe. I know I am being a little idealogical and off topic, but I think, rather than dropping bombs (which is sometimes needed, don't get me wrong), we should drop cheap laptops and Wi-Fi to encourage communication amongst world citizens, rather than just taking the advice of our individual politicians and reporters. Point being, that if God forbid, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia should become hostile towards each other, I would encourage other Americans to read and meet people on the internet and forms such as this to establish relationships and respect with people on the other side of the world such as yourself and your family. I would not be comfortable, for whatever reason an American plane dropping explosives on or anywhere by you or your family (not that it will ever happen) because thanks to the internet and this type of forum, I know that most people are not inherently evil, just corrupt governments.

Sorry about the rant, but no one else listens.
Thank you so much for your thoughts, I had the same "bad" feelings about U.S people and after dealing with ordinary U.S people especially those in this forum I really noticed that U.S people as very social and generally kind and cooperated (you would see some good examples in "Ahmed's Shipment" thread by HueyPilotVN and supported by alot of members especially robby, cico, GPintheMitten, adamag25 , wmjacobsjr and many others.

and I totally agree with you thats its the political issues that make this world some times bad place to live in

1 - 20 of 31 Posts