Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about picking up a low milage used XK for the wife. There are some pretty good bargains out there right now. I am leaning towards a limited with the Hemi and a tow package.

Question is this:

Is there a year to stay away from? Are there any options or configs that I should stay away from? Also, what highway milage are you guys getting out of the 5.7?

Thanks for the help,

-Eli

·
Registered
183 Posts
There are some pretty significant differences between the 08' and 06-07' commanders...if you can find a used 08' HEMI I'd jump on that and see what you can negotiate.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jeep changed alot of fit and finish on the dash (for the better IMO) and the nav unit was completely swaped out , touchscreen, flip out screen, hard drive to store stongs, the works. Thats why you'll see alot of ppl on this forum trying to upconvert to the new MyGig system. Also note the HEMI has a little more power on the 2009 XK's, if you're looking to buy NEW.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The warranty on the '06 is nearly worthless. Fortunately, my dealer has fought the good fight on a couple of items, but bottom line is go 07 if you can...

KKKKFL

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The warranty on the '06 is nearly worthless. Fortunately, my dealer has fought the good fight on a couple of items, but bottom line is go 07 if you can...
KKKKFL
The basic warranty on all model years is the same--3 years/36,000 miles. After 2006 they all have a lifetime powertrain warranty but I don't know if that is transferable to a new owner on a used vehicle.

·
Registered
953 Posts
After 2006 they all have a lifetime powertrain warranty but I don't know if that is transferable to a new owner on a used vehicle.
No, it is not transferable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a loaded limited 4.7 dealer demo for 28k. My wife loves it and feels safer than in her durango in the snow. The 4.7 seems to have more power and torque than my 4x4 chevy 1500 with a 350v8. good luck with your search. Keri

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 08 Overland 5.7 Hemi and love it. On highways I get about 17-18mpg's and combined highway/city I'm getting 14mpg. Out the door with taxes everything, $32K. Sticker was 27K, but we purchased the lifetime warranty that covers bumper to bumper. I know it may be excessive but we also have a range rover that cost me $1k everytime I have to step into a dealership. I figured if anything goes wrong all I have to pay is a small deductible and i'm good with that. Good Luck! I love my Jeep.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi TJEli,

I really don’t believe you need to worry about any year or model of the Commander. The engines (3.7, 4.7, and Hemi) are tested-designs that Chrysler had had in production for years. These are engines with proven reliability. You decide how much power you need, and then pick any of these engines with no worries.

Quadra Trac (I and II) that Chrysler licenses from a third-party is among the best in the industry with high ratings for durability, reliability, and performance.

The Commander in any configuration is an incredible value that no other car maker can match. The only downside is poor mileage. Well heck, you cannot have everything.

--Spike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys. There are several low milage 07 limiteds around here for under 20K. There is one that I like that is fully loaded (DVD, Nav, Saddle leather, Hemi, tow package, ect ect.) with 15K on it for $19,999.

07 and 08 sports with the 4.7 and under 20K miles are running around 17-18K

Not sure what I am going to do yet. BTW... that Hemi milage is not much worse than my 4.7WJ. And my TJ gets 10MPG. ;)

-Eli

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. There are several low milage 07 limiteds around here for under 20K. There is one that I like that is fully loaded (DVD, Nav, Saddle leather, Hemi, tow package, ect ect.) with 15K on it for $19,999.

07 and 08 sports with the 4.7 and under 20K miles are running around 17-18K

Not sure what I am going to do yet. BTW... that Hemi milage is not much worse than my 4.7WJ. And my TJ gets 10MPG. ;)

-Eli
Don't forget to dicker and deal. Play hard ball, they do. Offer them 16000 for the Hemi.

·
Registered
98 Posts
^^ I just bought a 2006 with the 4.7L engine, Quadra Trac II, 14K miles ...and pretty much loaded for < $13K.

--Spike

·
Registered
170 Posts
Read the Service/Maintenance/Problems section of this forum....You might find that one of the things u need to stay away from is a Jeep Commander.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Read the Service/Maintenance/Problems section of this forum....You might find that one of the things u need to stay away from is a Jeep Commander.
Overall the Commander is an excellent vehicle, some cars (any model) have their fair share of problems. Just becuase a owner ends up with a "friday" vehicle does not mean the whole production line should be avoided.

Buy a Commander, you will love it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Overall the Commander is an excellent vehicle, some cars (any model) have their fair share of problems. Just becuase a owner ends up with a "friday" vehicle does not mean the whole production line should be avoided.

Buy a Commander, you will love it.
Well, I used to say the same thing but the thing is that I'm not the ONLY guy with probs. I also noticed that my dealership service dept had Commanders stacked up for service. Far too many left in the shop for a mere oil change. I'm just sayin.....buyer beware.:grim:

I will say that anyone who buys this vehicle will love it. Enough to put up with any of numerous niggles, but after the first major breakdown, its just not worth it anymore.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I used to say the same thing but the thing is that I'm not the ONLY guy with probs. I also noticed that my dealership service dept had Commanders stacked up for service. Far too many left in the shop for a mere oil change. I'm just sayin.....buyer beware.:grim:

I will say that anyone who buys this vehicle will love it. Enough to put up with any of numerous niggles, but after the first major breakdown, its just not worth it anymore.
That statement sounds dire. Obviously a 4WD vehicle has additional mechanisms so the owner should expect additional maintenance and repairs (not to mention off-road ability and consequential problems).

Do you have any statistics that backup your opinions on the Commander’s reliability?

--Spike

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I don't understand someone who is so dead set against the Commander as a vehicle wanting to stay on a Commander Forum and keep posting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts