Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm looking into buying a used commander and would love your input on things to look for / look out for.

All of the commanders I've seen so far are 4.7 v8, ranging from base to limited edition.

I guess my main questions would be

- Are they reliable?

- Is there anything to inspect outside of the usual (Engine, Transmission, Suspension, Cooling System, Tires)

- What's considered high milage / at what milage would you draw the line on considering purchasing?

- What is Quadra Trac II?

Any help or info would be great as I'm a single father with limited budget and can't afford a money pit, so I'd like to know from experienced owners what to look for.

Thank you all in advance, I truly appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,442 Posts
Hello and welcome to JeepCommander.com! To help make your forum experience as positive as possible, we would like to direct you to some important sections of the site.

A new members are strongly encouraged to make an introduction to the forum thread, which can be posted here - New Member Section | Jeep Commander Forum

You can find all of our Rules and Policies by following this link - Important New Member information, Forum requirements...

All of your notifications (including alerts for Private Messages, labeled Conversations) can be found by clicking your user image at the top right of the site. You will know when you have an alert by the red dot that appears.

If you have any questions, you can reach out to any of our staff members @rblapham , @Big Blue or @jeep5253 found here; (1) Start a Conversation | Jeep Commander Forum

Once again, welcome to the community and have a great day!

-The JeepCommander.com team

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Are they reliable?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yes 176K miles on mine no major engine issues

Is there anything to inspect outside of the usual (Engine, Transmission, Suspension, Cooling System, Tires)
Look for rust if from the north.
What's considered high milage / at what milage would you draw the line on considering purchasing?

Depends what you plan on using it for. Mine is now used for around town trips and an occasional trip to the beach 60 miles each way, one or two times a year that beach is 800 miles away.

- What is Quadra Trac II?
THE BEST

Miles per Gallon sucks 11-15. Less off road. Parts becoming a problem to find.
If you have not driven, I suggest you don't lest you become hooked.

·
Registered
Dallas TX
108 Posts
Seems like the first thing is maintenance records, then I would make sure and get a pre-purchase inspection, there is a lot to cover on 11+ year old vehicles. Typical wear items like bushings, ball joints, and mounts. A lot have been modded so having someone look it over who can tell a bad lift vs a good one would be helpful.

Test drive, listen for any noises, and where its from, clunking can be engine mounts, differential mounts.. hums can be issues with the differentials, or transfer case..

I think the only issue with a 4.7 is that its not a hemi! Seriously, it seems to pull hard enough, can tow medium loads, and does not have the complexity of the MDS system which you can see in the forums posts adds a layer of challenges.

Generally if you are ok with doing some work yourselves, parts are silly cheap, there are some of these in junkyards for parts picking, and the cross compatible parts with the grand cherokee make supporting these a little easier

someone can clarify but the primary difference between the 4wd systems is the QD has locking differentials, the QT system does not..

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have owned a Jeep Commander since 2015, a limited edition, 2WD with all the options from the factory. It had 82K miles when we bought it as a family car.

After about a year and a half of ownership, two valve seats ate it in early 2017. One of them dropped into the engine and shattered. At this point the car sat idle for about 7-8 months until I had saved enough to replace the engine with a new Jasper reman. Ever since then I have reworked and replaced many things in the car myself. I've long suspected that in addition to the valve seats that disintegrated, that the engine could be running hotter than normal somehow, if in certain areas, in order to have caused that. I've never seen the temperature gauge go haywire though so it's a puzzler. I've replaced not one, but four radiators in my time with this car, to the point that my next radiator will be an all-aluminum one. And since 2017 (and another family car purchase) this Commander has not been driven as much as it was before, it went from being my wife's daily driver to my own, you know how that goes.

This history alone sums up my view of the Jeep Commander in general. The valve seat issue is well known around here as a defect of design, and it's almost difficult for me to see how there wasn't a recall, but I can still see how some use or environments may not see the problem happen. The newest Jeep Commander you can find will be all of eleven years old right now. That puts it firmly in what I call "old car mode;" a lot of the original faults that the car may have been made with should have fallen apart by now, if not then it's likely good for being built well enough. But then you also have to deal with stuff that will fall apart on the regular just for being old, and for being used--unless of course you just garage your car and only drive to church on Sunday. The Commander is a car that I like a lot, but I don't advise everyone to run out and get one. If you are someone who doesn't mind rolling back your sleeves and fixing things, if you pay attention to your car and don't let stuff slide when you notice something is wrong, then the Commander is a vehicle that can give you a nice, smooth ride with lots of room for the family, kids, long road trips. It's also very easy to modify for a given use if you want or need certain add-ons. But given the age of the car, even a low mileage vehicle will need some workovers, maybe as soon as you acquire it. It isn't a car I would buy again today for this reason. I went through all this, and my Commander was in excellent condition when I bought it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Electrical gremlins are a nightmare. Just my 2 cents. Between Trans Over Temp and stalling/failing to turn, the dropped seats are a close second for me. Do your homework. I'd stay away from 2006's. Again, just from my perspective...I regret it every day.

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 142k miles
191 Posts
Honestly, It's a roll of the dice... however, any car you buy that's over 10 years old is going to have its issues. I'm the original owner of an 06 4x4 hemi w/ 143k miles and have not dropped a valve seat, nor have I had to replace the radiator. (Figured I mention my bro-in-law's Ram 1500 with the hemi dropped a valve seat at 225k miles after an overheating episode) I did have the "trans temp over" issue back in '15, and after doing some research swapped out my ECU for a rebuilt one for 200$. 6 years later, no issues. I also had my rear diff rebuilt at 128k. Older car issues, they are what they are. Just make sure you get it professionally checked out before you buy it.

Reactions: g_ster and Big Blue

·
Registered
91 Posts
Honestly, It's a roll of the dice... however, any car you buy that's over 10 years old is going to have its issues. I'm the original owner of an 06 4x4 hemi w/ 143k miles and have not dropped a valve seat, nor have I had to replace the radiator. (Figured I mention my bro-in-law's Ram 1500 with the hemi dropped a valve seat at 225k miles after an overheating episode) I did have the "trans temp over" issue back in '15, and after doing some research swapped out my ECU for a rebuilt one for 200$. 6 years later, no issues. I also had my rear diff rebuilt at 128k. Older car issues, they are what they are. Just make sure you get it professionally checked out before you buy it.
@Arapahoe where did you get your ECU from? Wherever i look the Hemi's are usually out of stock and $600-800?

Thanks,
G

·
Registered
191 Posts
@Arapahoe where did you get your ECU from? Wherever i look the Hemi's are usually out of stock and $600-800?

Thanks,
G

I think it was Auto Computer Performance engine computer ecm repair pcm repair ecu performance programming, PCM repair & supply, performance programming Margate, FL . Like I mentioned, it was back in 2015, but I remember the company was out of S. FLA. They sent me a refurbished ECU, I installed it (4 bolts and 4 plugs IIRC... super easy) and then sent my faulty unit back to them. It was 200 back then... prices have probably risen a bit since.
Hope that helps

Reactions: g_ster

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! Thanks for all the input. I looked at several 4.7 v8s here so far and most of them seemed to have been neglected but I found a 07 limited with 350k miles (crazy high mileage) but he has all the service records and it drives great. The owner still uses it as his daily driver and drives it from state to state for his job. All the recalls have been taken care of and it hasn't been modified at all. It's 100% stock. It seems to be a very solid vehicle and I'm considering it.

That being said the mileage is kinda scary but as others say mileage isn't the end all be all of a vehicle.

One flaw the vehicle has is there is rust bubbles around the fuel door. I have no idea what could've caused it though. Not a deal breaker.

He's asking $4,200 for it.

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for all the input. I looked at several 4.7 v8s here so far and most of them seemed to have been neglected but I found a 07 limited with 350k miles (crazy high mileage) but he has all the service records and it drives great. The owner still uses it as his daily driver and drives it from state to state for his job. All the recalls have been taken care of and it hasn't been modified at all. It's 100% stock. It seems to be a very solid vehicle and I'm considering it.

That being said the mileage is kinda scary but as others say mileage isn't the end all be all of a vehicle.

One flaw the vehicle has is there is rust bubbles around the fuel door. I have no idea what could've caused it though. Not a deal breaker.

He's asking $4,200 for it.
That is very high mileage.

Let us know if you pull the trigger.

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
I have owned a Jeep Commander since 2015, a limited edition, 2WD with all the options from the factory. It had 82K miles when we bought it as a family car.

After about a year and a half of ownership, two valve seats ate it in early 2017. One of them dropped into the engine and shattered. At this point the car sat idle for about 7-8 months until I had saved enough to replace the engine with a new Jasper reman. Ever since then I have reworked and replaced many things in the car myself. I've long suspected that in addition to the valve seats that disintegrated, that the engine could be running hotter than normal somehow, if in certain areas, in order to have caused that. I've never seen the temperature gauge go haywire though so it's a puzzler. I've replaced not one, but four radiators in my time with this car, to the point that my next radiator will be an all-aluminum one. And since 2017 (and another family car purchase) this Commander has not been driven as much as it was before, it went from being my wife's daily driver to my own, you know how that goes.

This history alone sums up my view of the Jeep Commander in general. The valve seat issue is well known around here as a defect of design, and it's almost difficult for me to see how there wasn't a recall, but I can still see how some use or environments may not see the problem happen. The newest Jeep Commander you can find will be all of eleven years old right now. That puts it firmly in what I call "old car mode;" a lot of the original faults that the car may have been made with should have fallen apart by now, if not then it's likely good for being built well enough. But then you also have to deal with stuff that will fall apart on the regular just for being old, and for being used--unless of course you just garage your car and only drive to church on Sunday. The Commander is a car that I like a lot, but I don't advise everyone to run out and get one. If you are someone who doesn't mind rolling back your sleeves and fixing things, if you pay attention to your car and don't let stuff slide when you notice something is wrong, then the Commander is a vehicle that can give you a nice, smooth ride with lots of room for the family, kids, long road trips. It's also very easy to modify for a given use if you want or need certain add-ons. But given the age of the car, even a low mileage vehicle will need some workovers, maybe as soon as you acquire it. It isn't a car I would buy again today for this reason. I went through all this, and my Commander was in excellent condition when I bought it.
@HyperionAlpha ;

I bought my '08 4.7L with QT-II 4WD in July of 2014 with 62,000 original miles on the clock as the 2nd owner.

The original owner was, at the time, a 70 yr old woman who traded Big Blue in to a BMW dealership, for a brand new mini-cooper, at that time, she was bone stock.

I won't make this too long-winded, so, you can read about all the little annoying things I had to fix in the 3rd post of the thread below;

Looking to Buy an XK? Read this thread..... | Jeep Commander Forum

I had an open recall & a campaign that came out, shortly after I bought her that I had to take care of.

Fortunately for me, I had none of the major issues that you've had, but, I still shelled out about $3,000 to the dealership in dribs & drabs, through the course of chasing all of the bugs out of her.

I won't even try to guess at how much I've spent in upgrades, but, it's a pretty penny (Probably around $15K, with me paying for shop labor on the major upgrades).

Big Blue was my daily driver for quite a while, with many multi-state road trips under her belt, including driving up & down the East Coast from Virginia to Florida on several occasions & she never left me stuck anywhere;

Now, she is garaged and only goes out on camping excursions & the occasional weekend drive; She just went over 104,000 original miles & still has lots of life left in her.

I would definitely agree with you, that XK's are certainly not for everybody.

·
Registered
Dallas TX
108 Posts
i'd still invest in a pre purchase inspection. I had an expedition up around 360k, it was fine till it got smacked. Just be good to have a little insight into what to be looking for in upcoming repairs..

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
Thanks @Big Blue . Their site says 2006 Hemi is out of stock, which seems to be the norm when I look. I emailed Auto Computer Perf @Arapahoe, since I live in Jax.
Wow, small world.

I'm just down I-95 about 58 miles in Flagler County.

You might give them a call & see if they expect to get any in soon. They are a Florida company as well, located in Homestead, FL.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm in Jax too.

Reactions: g_ster and Big Blue

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts