Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Dallas TX
112 Posts
Mine is on its way from them. Used to make a few trips annually to Flagler for r/c airplane events!

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 142k miles
194 Posts
So, there are a few of us in pretty close proximity - who'd have thunk it....LOL.

I know, right?! I see a few Commanders on the roads around here now and then (usually not lifted and not in the best shape)... saw a really nice blue one that was lifted, bigger tires,... a couple of weeks back in Orange Park turning south on 17.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
I know, right?! I see a few Commanders on the roads around here now and then (usually not lifted and not in the best shape)... saw a really nice blue one that was lifted, bigger tires,... a couple of weeks back in Orange Park turning south on 17.
Same here, most of the ones I see (and I don't see very many at all) are stock & beat-up;

Very rarely do I see one in nice condition - no less modified.

I'd almost say that sounds like me, but, haven't been in Orange Park....

One of these days, maybe we can set something up where, whoever is within 50 or 60 miles of our area can try & get together some time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm up for it!

Reactions: g_ster

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are salvage PCMs an option (same motoror year), or do they need to be programmed to the VIN?

Sorry @jBurn801 for hijacking your thread

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander Base 3.7 litre V6, 4WD QT-I
24 Posts
Make sure the water pump has been replaced at least once at 180,000+. Give the cooling system a good look and make sure you don't smell anything unusual. Examine the electrical wiring, now is the time to go through that on these models due to their age. I've redone my entire electrical system but mine spent most her time in the Rust Belt.

·
Registered
Dallas TX
112 Posts
I would be afraid of the cost of a salvage PCM may not be worth it compared to one of the "lifetime warranty" shops. Got one for a little over $200 and wont have to worry about it as long as I own it

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had two Commanders, I still have my original 2006. It is my daily driver now at about 246k. I dropped a valve seat at 150k due to a cracked coolant tee that heats the rear seats. My wife didnt notice it overheating. I rebuilt the heads and timing chains. The trans over-temp message and limp home kept happening until I replaced the PCM from a shop on Ebay. That engine got to 215k and had a leaking head gasket. I used Bars HG 1 and was able to get it to 230k before it was just over.

I found a new to me 4.7 out of a 2005 Grand Cherokee that was rear ended. Easy install. I had to do the TPS MAP and I kept playing swap the coils and now im at 246K and going to keep going. Its running great now 17.4 MPG. I suck out and swap three quarts of ATF+4 every six months or so. I just dropped the pan and no metal - last time was about 120k ago so pretty good.

so..
valve seats
PCM Replacements
coolant issues
Sway bar bushings every year.
Fuel door area has also rotted out but i keep patching it.

These seem to be common problems when looking into the 2006 Commander.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
I have had two Commanders, I still have my original 2006. It is my daily driver now at about 246k. I dropped a valve seat at 150k due to a cracked coolant tee that heats the rear seats. My wife didnt notice it overheating. I rebuilt the heads and timing chains. The trans over-temp message and limp home kept happening until I replaced the PCM from a shop on Ebay. That engine got to 215k and had a leaking head gasket. I used Bars HG 1 and was able to get it to 230k before it was just over.

I found a new to me 4.7 out of a 2005 Grand Cherokee that was rear ended. Easy install. I had to do the TPS MAP and I kept playing swap the coils and now im at 246K and going to keep going. Its running great now 17.4 MPG. I suck out and swap three quarts of ATF+4 every six months or so. I just dropped the pan and no metal - last time was about 120k ago so pretty good.

so..
valve seats
PCM Replacements
coolant issues
Sway bar bushings every year.
Fuel door area has also rotted out but i keep patching it.

These seem to be common problems when looking into the 2006 Commander.
Fuel door area rotting out is one issue I have not heard of before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fuel door area rotting out is one issue I have not heard of before.
It may be a New England thing. My silver Jeep had bubbling in the same spot. Its hard to fix because its internal. I cut out what i could and patched it with bondo and fiberglass. I touched it up again this summer.

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander Base 3.7 litre V6, 4WD QT-I
24 Posts
It may be a New England thing. My silver Jeep had bubbling in the same spot. Its hard to fix because its internal. I cut out what i could and patched it with bondo and fiberglass. I touched it up again this summer.
It's definitely prone in the Rust Belt states that pile on the salt in the Winter time!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have had two Commanders, I still have my original 2006. It is my daily driver now at about 246k. I dropped a valve seat at 150k due to a cracked coolant tee that heats the rear seats. My wife didnt notice it overheating.
Just curious, is the Tee you're referring to the one that's located under the hood on the firewall of the passenger side?... The one that commonly "splits" and then starts a slow leak? Or is this a different one with which I should be concerned?
Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just curious, is the Tee you're referring to the one that's located under the hood on the firewall of the passenger side?... The one that commonly "splits" and then starts a slow leak? Or is this a different one with which I should be concerned?
Thanks!
Yes - thats the one. I have had to replace it with a Brass tee on both of my Commanders. Not a lot of room in there but its doable.

Reactions: Arapahoe

·
Registered
Dallas TX
112 Posts
i am going to follow your ATF routine on my wife's CVT infiniti... seems like an easy way to stay ahead of issues.
thanks for sharing your other tips. Apparently a previous owner of my commander decided to bypass the rear heater core, this may explain why. will clean their fix up tho, as the hoses are very close now run very close to the serpentine belt

21 - 40 of 42 Posts