Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tool do you need (size, etc.) to remove those hex bolts to take off the bezel?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get yourself a Torx set and you'll be on your way...not sure what size but they're sold in sets.

·
Registered
953 Posts
By bezel do you mean the whole dashboard? Just use hex (allen) keys to take them out. Torx have a different shape and will not fit.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
but if you are wanting to remove the cover of the switches etc, you have to remove the chrome ring around the shifter and the plate around that...then it comes out. but disconnect the wires before you pull too hard.

the tool to do that is hueyA140 butterknife. I used my swiss army knife. push on the tabs in the front and back corners of the trim ring.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know what size hex key?

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
Thanks Motorcity. Anyone know exactly which one and whether they are metric or SAE screws?
They are usually sold in sets. So if you get a set you will have the right one in there somewhere. I don't think they are metric. Just go buy Autozone or Advance Auto and they will figure it out for you with no charge. They may even give you one to use.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While we are at it...What is the type and size of the 4 screws that hold the radio in?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You know, I never even realized they weren't torx. It's a Jeep, I just assumed they were torx...who knew?

·
Registered
444 Posts
phillips screw driver... star screwdriver... whatever you would like to call it. The radio is pretty straight forward when taking it out or putting it back in. Actually the entire dash is the most simple I have ever worked on. Most dashes have clips that always break or you loose inside the dash. This one in the Xk is very user friendly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts