Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im buyin the superlift kit and didnt know what tires fit good.

1. offset?
2. wheel width?
3. wheel size?
4. tire size?
5. tire width?
6. backspacing?

i got a rough idea, but would like to hear what works

thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,096 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'd recommend going with a 285/70R17 on either the stock wheels with wheel spacers or a wheel that would be equivalent to having a 1.25 or 1.5 inch wheel spacer on it. This way you wont have to worry about any crazy rubbing issues. Only minor trimming would be required if any trimming is needed at all. Let me know what brand tires you like and the wheels you like and ill let you know what will work out of you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
+1. Any larger than what 07JeepXK states will get you into significant mods of the inner fender liners / etc.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Put 37's on it like AEV! Why dont you spend double the money and get the 4" lift from jeepinbyal because nobody on here has one and I wanna know how it is before I get it.

I would get new wheels and not use spacers. I love my wheels (17x9) with 4.5" backspacing. Stance is perfect and they only cost $160 each which I didnt think was too bad. If you order wheels and tires from 4wheelparts they mount and balance for u then ship with sensors and everything installed. They also have 100% on and off road warranty if you pay a little extra (10% per tire) which will get it replaced for free if anything, anywhere punctures it. I had one replaced for free already just cause tire was beat up, still held air no problem.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was running Mickey Thomson classic II wheels which were 17X9 w/ 4.5 in backspacing. Tires were procomp extreme mud terrain 285 70R17. I could not stand how much rubbing I was having. I switched back to stock wheels, same tires, but with 1 1/4" spacers. No rubbing at all.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Where were you rubbing with the MT CII wheels? I have aftermarket 17x 8.5 w +25 mm offset (~5.3" backspacing). Running BFG KM2's 285/70/17. I have only very minor rubbing on the front of the inner most rear fender lining. Good to know however that size tire will fit on our stock 7.5" wide wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Put 37's on it like AEV! Why dont you spend double the money and get the 4" lift from jeepinbyal because nobody on here has one and I wanna know how it is before I get it.
AEV was running 39.5 inch tall Super Swamper Irok's with the 4 inch Superlift, custom fender flares and rear axle extended back 5 inches.

Does the jeepinbyal lift come with new crossmembers? If not I definately wouldnt recommend that kit!

Where were you rubbing with the MT CII wheels? I have aftermarket 17x 8.5 w +25 mm offset (~5.3" backspacing). Running BFG KM2's 285/70/17. I have only very minor rubbing on the front of the inner most rear fender lining. Good to know however that size tire will fit on our stock 7.5" wide wheels.
Those Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels are wider then yours with more offset which pushes the tires out farther. Those wheels you have 17x8.5 with +25mm off set is the perfect wheel for a 4 inch lift. Notice how those are the same spec as the AEV pintler wheels....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Agree on the comment re: JeepinbyAl.

Yes, i was going for Pintler specs without the Pintler price. In the end, they may not be as well constructed as the Pintlers, but at half the price I can afford to replace them if needed.

·
Registered
696 Posts
It says the kit comes with everything u need. I havent seen the kit yet though. For the price it better come with everything u need anyway. Everyone I ever talked to about the Superlift said too much modifications and all kinds of squeaks and rattles going down the road. Save your comment, it may be poor installation or something unrelated, I know.

I was being sarcastic about AEVs Commander, forgot they were that big of tire but know they did a lot of ridiculous modification (including moving axle back).

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was rubbing when I turned either direction. When I would back up and turn the wheel, it was really bad. If I would turn on a slight incline, I would rub the exterior trim piece. I liked the way they looked, but just couldn't deal with the rubbing any more. I modified the inner fender lining so much that it looks like crap now. Since It looks like I have alot of clearance now, I'm going to replace it soon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great to see another 4" lift option - I have had the superlift and quite happy with it so far, albeit I've had it only a month and minor off roading. Would be nice if JeepinbyAl's design fixes some of the inherent limitations in the Superlift design (such as rear trailing arms moving forward sooner than they should).

BDS, as I understand no longer makes the 4" lift and Superlift is not in the best financial health, so any other viable options in my mind are welcomed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd recommend going with a 285/70R17 on either the stock wheels with wheel spacers or a wheel that would be equivalent to having a 1.25 or 1.5 inch wheel spacer on it. This way you wont have to worry about any crazy rubbing issues. Only minor trimming would be required if any trimming is needed at all. Let me know what brand tires you like and the wheels you like and ill let you know what will work out of you.
im thinkin about runnin micky thompson mtz radials... 33x12.50x17

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I would get new wheels and not use spacers. I love my wheels (17x9) with 4.5" backspacing. Stance is perfect and they only cost $160 each which I didnt think was too bad. If you order wheels and tires from 4wheelparts they mount and balance for u then ship with sensors and everything installed. They also have 100% on and off road warranty if you pay a little extra (10% per tire) which will get it replaced for free if anything, anywhere punctures it. I had one replaced for free already just cause tire was beat up, still held air no problem.
thats where i plan on buyin the tires and rims... do you have the XD's on yours? if so which ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts