Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im new to the commander world, just pulled the trigger on an 07 3.7 ltr. Got a crazy deal on it, interior is perfect, mechanically sound, and I got an extra 50k mile warranty on anything mechanical related. Anyways ive read up a little on the QT1 system as well as the ESP/Traction Control System. I havent looked under the jeep but im guessing I dont have a front diff. I do have what looks to be a traction control button near the information center buttons on the dash. How capable offroad is this thing? I dont plan on taking it offroad as I have my other Jeep for that. Im just wanting to know that if a situation arose the commander could at least get out of a few situations. Can anyone enlighten me on these things? Ive done some searching with no real results on the specific situation

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you don't have a front differential, you may have a 2 wheel drive Commander. You need to check further. Look on your paperwork and see what it says.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im about 90% sure its a 2wd. Im just wondering what all the traction control helps with. Im pretty sure the button im refering to is traction control, its near the park assist button.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The front end is independent suspension, so there's no really obvious differential to see. Look for short drive-shafts with rubber boots leading to the center of the front hubs from the back side of them.

If it's really a Quadra Drive I, (QTI) it's a full-time 4x4 without a low range transfer case. (Single speed transfer case)

As for what a Jeep Commander is capable of, check out the photo album from this year's Jeep Summit in Moab Utah. You should see that despite the looks, a Jeep Commander is NOT a "soccer mom mobile" or "Mall crawler." I have to admit, even as a seasoned 4-wheeler, I had a few "I want my mommy" moments on some of the stuff we did on Fins and Things. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157629838722306/

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have to add that during 2009's Jeep Summit, in Silverton Colorado, one of our group had a V6 and QT I. There's places there where you climb for 20 minutes straight at something like 30 degrees angle before even starting to level out.

The only problem was a few hundred yards from the top of 13,114 feet Imogene Pass, the transmission overheated. One of the guys winched him the last bit up, and it was fine after a good cool down. That's because we were all climbing 20 degree (on average, with a few 30-35 degree spots thrown in) slopes for MILES and it couldn't take anymore. The winching wasn't even really needed, he just didn't have the patience to let the thing cool a quarter mile from everyone else. :)

Without low range, the torque converter has to do a lot of slippage, so the heat builds up. Low range also gives you speed control on steep down slopes.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hey, they are some great pics!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I have the traction control? I have a button that has what looks like a vehicle with skid marks following behind it....also when I turn on the jeep there is an esp light by the spedometer but I cant figure out how to toggle it..no esp button.

·
Registered
301 Posts
ESP is the button you described. One short press turns it what I call half way off and if you press and hold it chimes and says esp off on the display. ESP is traction control.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts