Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could offer their opinion on a good wax. I have tried many different products (some good and some bad) and would like to hear anyone elses thoughts. Also, has anyone had any experience with "Five Star Shine". Does it work as good as advertised or just another over-priced non-performing product like so many out there that are simply marketed with slick claims that do not work.

Just got a new black Commander Limited and want to keep it looking great and well cared for.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Black is a tough color, so be sure to choose your wax wisely. One thing you may want is a wax that doesn't leave white dust behind. One of the best waxes for that is P21s. It is also sold in Harley Stores as S100. It's an easy to apply and remove paste wax that will not leave any dust and will not stain black plastic.

http://www.topoftheline.com/s100motorcyclewax.html

·
Registered
209 Posts
I also have a black Commander and like to keep it looking nice. Have used Meguiars NXT with good results and it is easy to apply and wipe off. Also have used Turtle Wax Ice and it does give a beautiful shine to the vehicle although I do think you need to reapply it often. One thing about Ice is it does not leave the white residue on vinyl etc. so that makes it easy to work with and if you are a little sloppy (haha) easier to take off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Meguiars, Einzett, Zaino waxes have worked for me for years.
Depends which one I can get on sale :)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have used ice, but it does not clean like regular wax. It is very nice not to worry about getting it on the black rubbers and plastics. I waxed about a month ago and had to use some cleaning wax where someone got something reg on my white car. When I wiped it off you could tell a difference in the resistance to the cloth from the old to the new wax. I use canuab waxto clean the paint off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyones thoughts. I checked Zaino's web site and the kits come with a clay bar. Not real sure if I want to get into all that especially with a new Commander. Would it be fine to skip that step or would I be missing the real benifits of the product? Thanks again!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just wanted to follow up with my results. I used Turtle Wax Ice and to tell you the truth I have never used such an easy to apply/remove wax in my life that left a great smooth fish and a nice gloss. It also worked well on the rubber/plastic pieces like the molded mud flaps and plastic rock guards. I am not sure how well it will hold up but so far I am impressed. I have used many different brands in my time but this was the best by far. Also tried the micro cloths for the first time instead of hand towels and made the job even easier. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
By far the best wax i have used (and still use) is Meguiars NXT. It is a fully synthetic wax, so unlike other conventional waxes, it applies and removes very easily. Even on trim and in gaps/jams the white residue of the dry wax brushes off very simply. Leaves an amazing shine too!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I owe three black vehicles and have owned about a dozen others, clay bar is great but on a daily driver maybe 2-3 times a year it's just not needed everytime you detail, on a garage queen maybe once a year as needed, after that there are lots of opinions on whats the best and why, Zaino is always rated well, as are a host on others- Nattys Blue, Meguires NXT, Griots garage. I use Sonus Polishes, Klasses all-in one and Pinnicle Souverien by hand and with a Porter Cable polisher top it off with a coat or two of Klasse Glaze, your paint will look flawless and six inches thick:D Todd

·
Registered
452 Posts
Preference of car wax/polish

What are your preferences when it comes to detailing your XK? I use Meguiar's products on all my cars. I'm planning to use Meguiar's NXT2 wax this weekend.

I use the following steps to get the 'better than new look' out of my XK:

1. Wash w/ Meguiar's Gold Class car wash soap
2. Apply/wipe Quik Detailer spray
3. Apply/wipe Meguiar's Paint/wax cleaner
4. Apply/wipe Meguiar's Polish
5. Apply/wipe Meguiar's NXT2 wax (was using the 'Gold Class' wax).

Watch out for the running board panel (black plastic), as this will leave a white residue. Lets share ideas/suggestions, and if you have pics, please post.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Love the NXT wax. I've been using that on my last 3 vehicles, and my wife's last 2. It's probably the easiest wax to work with.

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Merged your post with another one with much of the same discussion, I want to try the Meguiar's

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I do the entire MaGuires 3 step process, Only for the 3rd step I use NXT 2.0 as the wax instead of their #3 labeled wax. The NXT is awesome stuff, you can get it on the black plastic parts and not have to worry about it. It also goes on and off well and lasts quite a while.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am a fan of Turtle Wax Ice... I haven't used it on my XK yet, but on my Civic Si, it looked awesome!

Still need to check it out on my XK... but it is doing fine with the Meguiars Quik Detailer I use inbetween washes!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been happy with Turtle Wax Color Cure. It worked wonders on my black '97 CVPI - made fine scratches and swirls disappear. I would mix the black and the blue wax for the really dark blue '01 CVPI and will likely do the same for the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts