Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I took the XK to get a tire patched that had a slow leak (turns out I had TWO nails in it) and while it was jacked up I noticed that there was a rubber tube that was attached to the passenger side of the rear axle and the other end ran up to the passenger side rear wheel and was disconnected. I thought I had pulled it loose while wheeling so I took it to the dealer and the attendant took a quick look and stated that it was used to fill the differential and that it should be like that. An open end tube that goes up to the passenger side rear wheel to fill the differential?! Isn't that what the hole on the top half of the differential is for? If this rubber tube IS used to fill the differential then why is it not capped? Could it be something else? When I first saw it I thought it might've been a brake line but this thing goes straight to the axle.

Can anybody explain exactly what it is and why it's designed that way? Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Perhaps a differential Vent?

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
I would think that it is the vent tube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:rofl: That's too funny... "to fill the differential" through the vent tube would take the better part of the afternoon. Hehe... that's awesome. It's most likely your axle vent tube... don't plug it. It is designed to vent off gasses that occur when your axle components and fluid heat up and cool down... just like your engine, friction happens and there has to be a place for air to go. If you plug it you will eventually push past a seal and you won't be happy. Most attendants don't know squat.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:rofl: That's too funny... "to fill the differential" through the vent tube would take the better part of the afternoon. Hehe... that's awesome. It's most likely your axle vent tube... don't plug it. It is designed to vent off gasses that occur when your axle components and fluid heat up and cool down... just like your engine, friction happens and there has to be a place for air to go. If you plug it you will eventually push past a seal and you won't be happy. Most attendants don't know squat.
Lol that's what I figured and thought I'd ask some people who do know squat.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thats definately the differential vent tube. Comes off the passenger side axle tube on the rear axle and goes into the wheel well area. That other end really isnt connected to anything. That end is the vent. But it does have a clip that holds it from dangling down.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The end attaches to one of the upper strut mounting bolts. Its a black plastic, and round, with a hole in the center to mount on the stud.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Is there some kind of one way valve to keep water out? :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The end attaches to one of the upper strut mounting bolts. Its a black plastic, and round, with a hole in the center to mount on the stud.
He was talking about the diff. vent on the rear axle. Not the front diff breather vent.

Yes, it does have a one way valve on the end.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was wondering about how it prevented debris or water from getting in too since it doesn't seem to have a valve at the end. It wasn't dangling down but I saw it up high close to the top of the passenger side rear wheel, it just stood out when that side was completely flexed. What you guys have said makes sense; you learn something new every day.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Thats what I thought as well, BUT do NOT know for sure, that there is some sort of plastic device on the end of the tube, to allow it to vent but also reduce the amount of water that can make it way down the tube.

Don't think it would be a one way valve, as the axle cools it would form a vacuum and that is almost as bad on the seals as over pressure from heat. More likely a restrictor that lets just enough air flow, and reduces the opening to prevent oil or water making their way in/out of the tube. BUT, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, this is becoming an interesting topic now because we're all hoping that it's not an open-end tube that can allow water or debris to find its way into our axle and diff. Mine didn't look like it had a valve of any sort at the end, it just looked like an open-end tube, that's why I was concerned because it looked like it just pulled free from something. Could it simply be that it keeps things out due to a CPAP created by the movement of parts on the inside? In other words- it's always blowing air.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
So, I got off of my lazy butt this morning and found the hose with a little white round thing clamped on the end. It has to let the pressure out, and air back in, as Mongo says, but not water. Mine is clamped straight up. luvmycommander, if there is nothing clamped on the end of your hose, I would go to the dealer and get one of these plastic valves, at least to keep the water out. I you do this, let us know what it is called, and see if you can get an explanation on how it works. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I got off of my lazy butt this morning and found the hose with a little white round thing clamped on the end. It has to let the pressure out, and air back in, as Mongo says, but not water. Mine is clamped straight up. luvmycommander, if there is nothing clamped on the end of your hose, I would go to the dealer and get one of these plastic valves, at least to keep the water out. I you do this, let us know what it is called, and see if you can get an explanation on how it works. :eek:rangehat:
Hmm, that's interesting, now makes me wonder if maybe I should change the diff oil just in case anything got in there. The tube was covered with mud from the last wheeling so who knows what could've gotten in there. I will take a trip to the dealer this weekend and keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can't hurt. Anytime I have been in deep water or similar situations I like to change the fluid. Jiffy Lube (if you trust them) will do it for $40 something dollars.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
So, I got off of my lazy butt this morning and found the hose with a little white round thing clamped on the end. It has to let the pressure out, and air back in, as Mongo says, but not water.
Yea, probably a valve, just NOT a one-way valve which would be easy to assume. My "guess" you probably need a few PSI to get the valve to open either way, thus the valve is closed 99.8% of the time and not letting water in, greatly reducing the chance of sucking water back in.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys, just stopped into a Jeep dealer on my way to work, they did confirm what you guys said, it is a hose to allow the diff to vent. As the oil heats and cools the pressure inside expands and compresses, without a proper vent you run the risk of breaking the seal and have oil leak. The "vent" on the end of the hose is to prevent water from seeping in during off-roading. I ordered the vent today and it only cost about $1.40. I asked for a printout of the diagram and part number and attached it to this post.

Thanks for everyone's input! Without your replies I could've possibly had something find it's way down into my diff potentially causing damage.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
That is what we are here for. To learn from each other and to educate those in need. I have learned way more than the advice I have offered. For this, I am forever grateful. :eek:rangehat:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts