Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my 08 Commander the other day and I am amazed that it comes with 17" wheels. Ugg...

My 09 Challenger came with 18" and even those were too small. :(

Wheels and tires to come!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
So I just got my 08 Commander the other day and I am amazed that it comes with 17" wheels. Ugg...

My 09 Challenger came with 18" and even those were too small. :(

Wheels and tires to come!!
<groan> ...if you lived closer I'd trade you straight out for my 18". WHY ANYONE would want to fit 19", 20" or 22"s on an SUV is beyond my "things make sense" test ;)

Then again, I don't like "slamm'n" and stretching stuff either. It's a truck people....

Ironically ~I LOVE the SRT8 WK. Go figure!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I agree with the above posts. Anything that is going to be used as it is intended like the XK should have some sidewall. If you are going to make it a street machine then 20's are good. I think the 17's give it the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will probably go with some chrome 18"s. The 17" rims just have that "don't look quite right" feel to them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think I will probably go with some chrome 18"s. The 17" rims just have that "don't look quite right" feel to them.

That's life... I feel 180° out from that. The 18"s look douchey to me, and NOT right on my Overland.

Don't get me wrong... the bigger the wheel the better on my sports cars or performance sedans, but not on my trucks.

It comes down to what the vehicle is purpose built for; street or utility.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just my opinion but I dont think Jeeps were meant to have large wheels on them. I see "Jeep" as being an off raod vehicle not a vehicle you slam with 20 inch wheels. But then again they have the SRT-8 Cherokee with 20's stock but obviously that vehicle was made to go fast and not off road.

Like I said, that's just my .02

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree with the offroad philosophy. More rubber is better! If the hardware setup for the commander would allow it I would go with 15". As it is I believe 17" is as small as you can go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,

I can certainly see where everyone is coming from with respect to getting as much rubber as you can.

I guess I probably fall into that catagory of "not ever going to take the Jeep offroading" so I would probably choose form over function.

Looking at my truck, I am leaning towards 18" black chrome.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I gotta go w/ you Eroc....I'll take my Commander "off-roading" maybe once or twice a year, and even then it would be in the sand dunes of YUMA or driving over some sticks and bushes to a camp site in Montana, but not any rock climbs or trail runs or anything...

So that being said, I prefer the Cosmetic appeal of my car that spends 95% of it's life on the AZ pavement, so I am looking for some 20" or 22" Black/Chrome Lip wheels for mine new ride (got picked up today and should arrive Wednesday). Having a hard time finding a decent set of 20's that actually fit the commander frame though, so let me know if you have any luck and point me in the right direction...

(I saw an article in Jeep Magazine that had Tony Hawks Commander, had 22" decked out black matt finish wheels and looked sssiiiiccckk!)

·
Registered
100 Posts
(I saw an article in Jeep Magazine that had Tony Hawks Commander, had 22" decked out black matt finish wheels and looked sssiiiiccckk!)
That's an affront to all things Jeep and blasphemous! :notsigned:

·
Registered
602 Posts
That's an affront to all things Jeep and blasphemous! :notsigned:

Here, here -- listen to the man. Street tires and wheels on a Jeep is sacreligious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts