Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post either a picture or a link to your favorite tire. (All Terrain or Mud Terrain only please)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Favorite depends on what the intended use is for me. I have several favorite tires depending on the situation.

For mainly street use and VERY occassional offroad use, the Mickey Thompson ATZ. We run the ATZ on our Tahoe. A close second in the BFG A/T.
Mickey Thompson ATZ:

For mainly street use and some offroad time, the Mickey Thompson MTZ. I ran this on my truck when it was a daily driver and relatively hardcore offroader:

For rock crawling, the Interco BIAS IROK. I used to crawl in NM:

For combined mud and rock crawling (good all purpose offroad tire), the Interco Super Swamper TSL. I'm hoping to switch to this tire soon:

For mud bogging, the Interco Super Swamper Bogger:

For racing, I love the BFGoodrich TA KDW:

·
Registered
21 Posts
sorry my pc is too old and slow to chase down pics and links.

but heres my tire list
my XJ has BFG MT KO's, a great tire for all applications, street, mud snow dirt rocks. With one exception for hardcore rock crawling the sidewalls are weak but I just commute in my XJ.

my yj has 35" Swamper SSR's they are awsome performers and I have many miles on them, used heavily on the Rubicon trail and fordyce in ALL seasons. I have some 37" Toyo MT's to put on next for better street manners.

Best all purpose tire would have to be Goodyear MTR period.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Out of all the tires I have used I definately like my MT/R's with Kevlar the best. I also really like the design of the Nitto Mud Grapplers and hope to use them someday on the XK.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Some of my favorite so far

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 285/70/17

BF Goodrich Krawler MT

BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

Mickey Thompson MT Baja Claw

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I got my Peterson's 4 Wheel & Off Road Magazine today and they did a test on 5 different mud tires, one of them being the MT/R with Kevlar. I was surprised because the MT/R came in dead last. The test was done in thick mud and apperently they said the MT/R's didnt clear the mud all that well. I thought they cleared themselves out really well compared to some other MT's I have had in the past. Who knows :ugh2:

I bet if the did the test on all sorts of terrains the results would be totally different. Mud isnt the only terrain people drive on.

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts
I got my Peterson's 4 Wheel & Off Road Magazine today and they did a test on 5 different mud tires, one of them being the MT/R with Kevlar. I was surprised because the MT/R came in dead last. The test was done in thick mud and apperently they said the MT/R's didnt clear the mud all that well. I thought they cleared themselves out really well compared to some other MT's I have had in the past. Who knows :ugh2:

I bet if the did the test on all sorts of terrains the results would be totally different. Mud isnt the only terrain people drive on.
So which one was #1 ? How about giving us the whole list ? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So which one was #1 ? How about giving us the whole list ? Thanks in advance.

Its funny that you ask. The Interco Trxus Mud Terrain came in first place. My buddy has them on his 4 door JK in the same size they tested and honestly I didnt think they were all that great in the mud. Again, just my opinion.

Here is the list:

1. Interco Trxus Radial Mud Terrain
2. Pro Comp Xtreme Mud-Terrain
3. Maxxis Bighorn
4. BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain
5 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
My favorite AT tire is the Discoverer ATR. I don't really consider it a true AT tire, but rather more of a street oriented AT tire. I've been running them on my 4Runner for 3 years now and they are the best all around tire I've ever had. They have a fairly aggressive tread pattern and work very well in snow, which is a major concern for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Favorite depends on what the intended use is for me. I have several favorite tires depending on the situation.

For mainly street use and some offroad time, the Mickey Thompson MTZ. I ran this on my truck when it was a daily driver and relatively hardcore offroader:

This is the tire Im really considering in size 33x12.50R17LT once my lift arrives. What were your good and bad points about this tire?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
These are what I am running. Kumho Road Venture KL71. I have always had good luck with Kumho tires. The wear well, and are well priced. Unstoppable off road. The deep lugs on the side do great in mud, the tight lugs in the center handle the loose stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts