Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean in dollars .. but in VOLUME of fuel.

I was coming home Friday after lunch and the fule pump icon on the dash lit up ... "15 miles to empty"

Pulled in ASAP and the Commander took 66.029 litres of gas ...

That's 17.45 US Gallons ...my owner's manual says fule capacity is 79 litres or 20.8 US Gallons.

I'm thinking the "... miles to empty" is not that acurate?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I just filled up today and put 17.594 gallons in the XK, the gauge told me I had 4 miles until empty.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I know that I've put in more than 20 gallons before (not much, but some). And I've driver over 20 highway miles with "0 miles to empty" on the EVIC.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've put 19.6 gallons in. I think the "miles to empty" thing is rated to when your gas light comes on ( at the empty mark on gauge ). I have gone 28 miles with the light on ( V6 ).

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I dont think I have ever been able to fit more then 16 gallons in my tank. That is with the display reading approx. 30 miles to empty. Im not sure how you fit over 20 gallons in PolarBZ.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
What is the Canada/US exchange rate. That seems expensive for 17 gallons. That would be about $34 US dollars here. I dont think the measurement of the tanks are accurate, as I've always been able to put right at if not more than the measured size in every vehicle I've owned. I know there is some room in the gas filler tube and lines,but not that much.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the Canada/US exchange rate. That seems expensive for 17 gallons. That would be about $34 US dollars here. I dont think the measurement of the tanks are accurate, as I've always been able to put right at if not more than the measured size in every vehicle I've owned. I know there is some room in the gas filler tube and lines,but not that much.
Yes gas cost more here ... The exchange rate for gas is complicated though

1 CDN Dollar = 80 cents US
1 IMP Gallon = 4.54 Litres = 1.2 US Gallons

So if I got 66.03 Litres that's 17.45 US Gallons for $53.68 CDN or $42.94 USD for that much gas.

So that would equal $2.94 USD per US Gallon.

There's more to it than that of course .. there's a lot of tax in gas prices, and we get a lot back from taxes here ... and cost of living is different too ..

Minimum wage in Ontario is going up to $10.25 in March, I pay about $500 a year for Commander insurance ($500 collision deductible and 2 million liability) for a couple comparisions

·
2,248 Posts
50 gallons to fill.....nener...naner...nener......(wiggles his nose as he says it). Has only filled it twice. 55 gallons with the gas for your buddy can on the back.

That is 189 liters or over 200 with the back can.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've driven with '0' miles on the EVIC for a few miles (probably no more than 7) and the max I have been able to fill up with is about 17.8 gallons...

So I must have about 30 more miles I could go. I have never seen more than about 230 miles out of a tank ever... :(

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure it all equals out in the end, no matter where you live. Right now, I'm paying $1.79 a gallon at Kroger with the Kroger Card discount.. If I get 300 miles from a tank driving back and forth from work, I'm doing good. On the highway I can get 330.
I have the V-6 too.

·
Registered
488 Posts
the miles to empty is based on a calculation from information supplied to it from the ECU controlling engine and transmission. it is calculated on the last 50 miles of travel.

if the last 50 miles have been start stop stuff then a very low " miles to empty" will show. if its ben highway cruising then a higher figure will show.

I can get the Jeep to get a miles to empty increase if I drive it sensibly after va fill i.e. leave fuel station and it shows 440 to empty drive sensibly and I can get it to go to 480 till empty after driving 10 miles.

largest fill volume was the day I bought it ( pre owned from a dealers) and it had 5 miles till empty shown on the EVIC the fuel light was on and the gauge didn't move when starting- thetank capacity is 83 litres and I got 82 litres in .

1 UK gallon = 4.54 litres

thats when fuel was at £1.15 a litre :eek:mg:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I'm sure it all equals out in the end, no matter where you live. Right now, I'm paying $1.79 a gallon at Kroger with the Kroger Card discount.. If I get 300 miles from a tank driving back and forth from work, I'm doing good. On the highway I can get 330.
I have the V-6 too.
On long trips the Hemi can average 20 MPG (US Gallon) ... but toss in some city driving and it drops to 12 to 14 pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the miles to empty is based on a calculation from information supplied to it from the ECU controlling engine and transmission. it is calculated on the last 50 miles of travel.

if the last 50 miles have been start stop stuff then a very low " miles to empty" will show. if its ben highway cruising then a higher figure will show.

I can get the Jeep to get a miles to empty increase if I drive it sensibly after va fill i.e. leave fuel station and it shows 440 to empty drive sensibly and I can get it to go to 480 till empty after driving 10 miles.

largest fill volume was the day I bought it ( pre owned from a dealers) and it had 5 miles till empty shown on the EVIC the fuel light was on and the gauge didn't move when starting- thetank capacity is 83 litres and I got 82 litres in .

1 UK gallon = 4.54 litres

thats when fuel was at £1.15 a litre :eek:mg:
Yes it was up $1.80 here at one point ... My dealer filled the tank for me when I picked up my Commander :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I want to know is.. WHAT WAS DC THINKING?! 20GAL TANK?!

I orginaly posted back in one ofthe gas tank threads I didn't care if the tank as small as I always topped up at $20 ..b ut after driving for a few momnths I think I'd rather preffer a LARGER gas tank ... the aux tank posted in that thread is looking better all the time :)

If I get a roof rack maybe I'll move the spare tire up there?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's a 2-3 gallon reserve. Once the light hits and says you are out of miles, you still have a bit to go... I've driven 20-30 miles over several times.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Mine said zero miles today...I filled it up and put 66ltrs in the 77ltr tank....so a drops of juice were left in her!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts