Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my front wheel bolts is now in two pieces, dont know why but i saw it the other week..
However, Im now trying to take it apart to replace the broken bolt.
Caliper is off, brake disc is off but i still cant get the stupid bolt off, kind of poor design that doesnt allow for replacement of bolts without having to take off the inner piece the disc...

My question is now:

Where do i go from here? Do i have to take the bearing casing off or is there an easier way?
:icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Are you refering to the stud that the lug nuts screw on? If so they should be pressed into the hub.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Ohh I don't know, can you supply pics?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Sounds like you snapped off a lug? They're pressed into the unit bearing from the back side and I honestly don't know if you can press out the busted lug and press in a new one or if you need to replace the unit bearing in whole. Either way, I think the unit bearing will need to be removed. Can you put some pictures up?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sounds like you snapped off a lug? They're pressed into the unit bearing from the back side and I honestly don't know if you can press out the busted lug and press in a new one or if you need to replace the unit bearing in whole. Either way, I think the unit bearing will need to be removed. Can you put some pictures up?

Usually you can just take out the broken stud and press in a new one. That would suck if he had to replace the whole hub/bearing assembly. If he would post back maybe we would have a little more information or pictures. He never even stated if it was front or rear.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Need pictures or the directions to your place... you choose, but I'll warn you now, I charge per mile/km. :)

·
2,248 Posts
Maybe Jon or one of the others on this forum can look it up in their shop manuals. Most wheel studs can be punched inward from the outside and then either pressed in from the back side or pulled tight with spacers and a nut from the outside. I have had wheel stud changed on a motorhome and it was not that complicated.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Of course the guy posts and then never comes back. Im still curious as to what he was refering to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts