Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all, I am math illiterate and am trying to figure out what size wheels to get. I am currently running the stock wheels with 245/75's. I would eventually like to upgrade to a 265/70's or so which is what the PO of my Commander was running with 1/5" RC spacers. They rubbed far too much, not even at full lock in a curve they would make enough contact to cause the ABS to activate!
Now, I would like to know what offset to look for so that I could eventually upgrade to the larger size. Will I have to run spacers? Or will the proper offset prevent that?
Any and all input would be appreciated.
JCIII

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, I do have a 2" lift in place, they still rubbed.
JCIII

Perhaps to clarify I am asking this: So a zero offset would be better than say a 25 or 18 offset? Correct?

You can't run that size tire with out at least a 2" lift. Lift it and you can run that size without the wheel spacers if you want.

·
1,993 Posts
Sorry missed that in your sig. I think the spacers are what might have caused the rubbing then, because I'm running that size and only rub at full lock on stock wheels. The correct off set will eliminate the need for spacers. I don't remember what off set equates into how far the tire sticks out 07jeepXK knows this subject well, I think somewhere around 18 to 25 sounds familiar but wait for the experts to chime in on that subject. Your going to have to do some mods like the pinch weld and wheel well mod if you start sticking the tires out for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
OK all, I am math illiterate and am trying to figure out what size wheels to get. I am currently running the stock wheels with 245/75's. I would eventually like to upgrade to a 265/70's or so which is what the PO of my Commander was running with 1/5" RC spacers. They rubbed far too much, not even at full lock in a curve they would make enough contact to cause the ABS to activate!
Now, I would like to know what offset to look for so that I could eventually upgrade to the larger size. Will I have to run spacers? Or will the proper offset prevent that?
Any and all input would be appreciated.
JCIII
I jsut want to make sure im not misunderstanding. The prior owner was running 1.5 inch wheel spacers with 265/70's? Is this correct? Has the pinch weld/plastic inner fender well modification been done to your Commander yet? Mostlikely the reason for the rubbing was due to the larger tires and the 1.5 inch wheel spacers sticking out to much. Or depending if the pinch weld mod was done that that could have been your cause for rubbing. You want to stay away from a zero offset wheel because it will make it stick out farther then the 1.5 inch spacer did. If you could answer those questions I asked I can help you out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I jsut want to make sure im not misunderstanding. The prior owner was running 1.5 inch wheel spacers with 265/70's? Is this correct? Has the pinch weld/plastic inner fender well modification been done to your Commander yet? Mostlikely the reason for the rubbing was due to the larger tires and the 1.5 inch wheel spacers sticking out to much. Or depending if the pinch weld mod was done that that could have been your cause for rubbing. You want to stay away from a zero offset wheel because it will make it stick out farther then the 1.5 inch spacer did. If you could answer those questions I asked I can help you out.
Everything you said is correct. Now sadly I have no idea if the pinch weld and inner fender well mods were done. To be 100% honest I don't even know what those are, guess I should have looked them up before now.
Right now I am running 245/75 17's on the stock wheels. I would like to get some new 8" wide wheels. I will continue to run the 245/75's and then eventually replace with the 265/70's.
JCIII

Looked @ the pinch weld mod and seriously doubt it's been done. I will try to check tomorrow in the daylight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Goodness, can you say information overload!!
I am having nightmares about numbers!! I think I have decided on a 17" wheel, in either 8 or 8.5" width with one of these three offsets: 0 will stick out 2.2" further than stock, 18 which will stick out 1.5" further than stock, or 25 which will stick out 1.3" further than stock.
Hoping someone can confirm this jibberish!
JCIII

I think I am most likely going to to with either 18 or 25 offset.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Goodness, can you say information overload!!
I am having nightmares about numbers!! I think I have decided on a 17" wheel, in either 8 or 8.5" width with one of these three offsets: 0 will stick out 2.2" further than stock, 18 which will stick out 1.5" further than stock, or 25 which will stick out 1.3" further than stock.
Hoping someone can confirm this jibberish!
JCIII

I think I am most likely going to to with either 18 or 25 offset.
The stock tire size on the XK is 245/65R17 on a 17x7.5 wheel with 6 inches of back spacing (approx. +44mm offset). Going to a 17x8 wheel with 0 offset and 265/70R17 tire (mostlikely the size you would be going with since you have a 2 inch lift) it would stick out 2.1 inches farther then stock. With the same size tires and same width wheel but +18 offset, it would stick out 1.4 inches farther, and for 25 offset it would be 1.1 inches farther.

According to my calculations, if you were to go with an 8.5 inch wide wheel its going to stick out the same amount listed about for the 8 inch wide wheels because offset is staying the same and only back spacing changes. Hope thins helps out. I think the 18mm offset wheels would be perfect in a 17x8. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does, I appreciate your confirmation of what I had found. As well I appreciate your time in answering my question.
JCIII

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input all. I am probably going to go with this wheel. It is 17X8 with an offset of 6 which should put it happily between the 0 offset and the 18 offset.
JCIII

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Those wheels will fit fine with that offset. It would be like adding a 1.5 inch wheel spacer to stock wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts