Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had long time issues with the finish on the Factory wheels on my 2006 65th Anniversary XK. I dont know exactly when it started, but it seem's to be getting worse. It looks like some sort of corrosion is forming under the "Clear coat Finish" and is causing it to bubble up from behind. What, possibly, caused this to happen? Has this happened to anyone else? Is it repairable? Is it worth repair or am I better off getting new ones?

Thanks to all in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Common problem here in Australia. Usually due to people using aggressive wheel acid cleaners, hot water pressure washers etc. Can also be due to cats and dogs peeing on the wheels regularly. Unless of course they weren't prepped properly at the factory.

Only fix is to send them back and re clear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's from road salt. The cost to strip and refinish is more than they're worth unless you know someplace that will do it cheap. Only way to avoid/delay it happening is to wash that salt off ASAP

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha........I got a quote to repair/refinish all 4 wheels. $100.00/wheel.
Cheaper than the cost of new ones.........just a little aggravated because I religiously keep my vehicle clean and serviceable.
I somehow feel that these wheels were the product of a manufacturing defect from the wheel supplier (Alcoa).
Anyway, thanks to all for the help!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Time to Plasti-Dip them!
Sand the corrosion off and coat them with Plasti-Dip.
I'm going to do that with mine because I saw a guy on Google+ who blacked out all his chrome with the same color as mine and it looks very cool and professional.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Like noted earlier, the damage could be from road salt or caustic wheel cleaners.

We recommend a mild detergent that is designed for use on automotive finishes when cleaning your wheels. It's also a good idea to wax the exposed areas of your wheels three to four times a year or more if you live in a harsh climate. This will help keep road grime and the elements from damaging the finish.

INFO CENTER Cleaning Tires & Wheels

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm trying to breath some life into this post - my rims have the same look as the pictures above. I've been going ape**** all week trying to research how to clean/sand off the corrosion and possibly use Rustoleum to tear off the rest of the clear coat. I'm thinking of taping the gray area of the rim (inner spoke) and use 0000 steel wool on the front face followed with polish and wax. Anyone else try any DIY projects on their rims???

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had some trash growing on my wheels and ended up scraping off the clearcoat and attacking the corrosion with a wire wheel on the dremel tool. Use an aluminum polish and then reapply clearcoat. . Its not perfect, but looked much better...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had some trash growing on my wheels and ended up scraping off the clearcoat and attacking the corrosion with a wire wheel on the dremel tool. Use an aluminum polish and then reapply clearcoat. . Its not perfect, but looked much better...
This. Same method done by a buddy here, polish and clearcoat seems working perfectly.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
I'm trying to breath some life into this post - my rims have the same look as the pictures above. I've been going ape**** all week trying to research how to clean/sand off the corrosion and possibly use Rustoleum to tear off the rest of the clear coat. I'm thinking of taping the gray area of the rim (inner spoke) and use 0000 steel wool on the front face followed with polish and wax. Anyone else try any DIY projects on their rims???
If you are going to try and clean it off your best bet is fine steel wool - and a lot of elbow grease.

Depending on how far gone they are, you may need to buy new rims but if they are salvageable, fine steel wool will clean them up.

I know a lot of Jeep owners are notorious for letting the cosmetic appearance of their Jeeps go to sh!t because they like to go off-roading and mudding and leave the dirt sitting on their vehicles for weeks on end thinking that it looks cool - I am not one of those people.

The simple truth is it is very detrimental to your paint job and your rims as some of you found out.

The solution is to clean your vehicle often, particularly after you go off-roading - especially your rims as that will be the first area to show irreversible signs of neglect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts