Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Commander Overland, 4X4, 2 Inch Lift, 1.5 Spacers
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
After losing hope in finding a tire to my taste that fits stock 18's, looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and downgrade to 17's. As much as I wanted to avoid this it was bound to happen :)

I went to a few local shops for test fits. If not mistaken these are method wheels (I tried on a few so kind of lost track). Long story short they have a 20+ offset so If I go with them, I may end up dropping the 1.5 spacers. As for tires I'm planning 265/70/17's (Currently running 265/65/18's).

Yay or Nay?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
Dallas TX
110 Posts
that is a pretty handsome color combo. looks like you wouldn't want the spacers with that offset, seems to look right. Blue can comment too, but you may need to do the pinch weld trick but it should work out...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is a pretty handsome color combo. looks like you wouldn't want the spacers with that offset, seems to look right. Blue can comment too, but you may need to do the pinch weld trick but it should work out...
Thanks, beginning to grow on me.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 142k miles
193 Posts
I like them!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Quick update.. Been doing some more searching and came across 275/65/18's. Aside of some minor rubbing on my current setup it fit well that can easily be fixed with the mod.

Diameter is hitting 32+ and it just looked odd to me with a 2 inch lift and need to go higher. I may be a bit paranoid though. or perhaps those side bars are just making it look odd. Never got rid of them like I said I would lol.

I'll keep this thread updated on the final route

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What company makes those rims?
I went back to the shop today. Initially thought they were Methods but turned out to be some Chinese brand with no name. They look good but reliability is a different story. The Method and Fuel brands here are also Chinese (Copy Originals) from what I've learnt.

This is the reason I'm considering going back to Tire options rather than wheels unless can get my hands on used 17's from a commander or wrangler.

·
Administrator
7,671 Posts
I went back to the shop today. Initially thought they were Methods but turned out to be some Chinese brand with no name. They look good but reliability is a different story. The Method and Fuel brands here are also Chinese (Copy Originals) from what I've learnt.

This is the reason I'm considering going back to Tire options rather than wheels unless can get my hands on used 17's from a commander or wrangler.
I've been to Bahrain quite a few times, but, never really looked for Commander related products while I was there, so, I'm not sure what options you have available to you?

Does e-bay deliver there?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been to Bahrain quite a few times, but, never really looked for Commander related products while I was there, so, I'm not sure what options you have available to you?

Does e-bay deliver there?
Quite limited. I can say I'm probably 1 of 12-15 Jeep commanders on the island. We're rare breeds. But plenty of Wranglers and Grand cherokees. Luckily, I do have access to Saudi which gives me more options but haven't been there much since the Pandemic

eBay Sure does as well as most sites. For those that don't I still have a US Forwarding address that can ship over to me. The problem is the cost for heavier items. I once purchased American Racing wheels for my 2003 TB about a decade ago. I paid about $800 for shipping but was desperate.

·
Administrator
7,671 Posts
Quite limited. I can say I'm probably 1 of 12-15 Jeep commanders on the island. We're rare breeds. But plenty of Wranglers and Grand cherokees. Luckily, I do have access to Saudi which gives me more options but haven't been there much since the Pandemic

eBay Sure does as well as most sites. For those that don't I still have a US Forwarding address that can ship over to me. The problem is the cost for heavier items. I once purchased American Racing wheels for my 2003 TB about a decade ago. I paid about $800 for shipping but was desperate.
American Racing makes some nice off-road rims for Commanders & they are available through e-bay....just some food for thought.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
American Racing makes some nice off-road rims for Commanders & they are available through e-bay....just some food for thought.
Thanks, will take a fresh look and see if I can get any good deals + shipping.

·
Registered
2009 Jeep Commander
16 Posts
Hey Guys,
After losing hope in finding a tire to my taste that fits stock 18's, looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and downgrade to 17's. As much as I wanted to avoid this it was bound to happen :)

I went to a few local shops for test fits. If not mistaken these are method wheels (I tried on a few so kind of lost track). Long story short they have a 20+ offset so If I go with them, I may end up dropping the 1.5 spacers. As for tires I'm planning 265/70/17's (Currently running 265/65/18's).

Yay or Nay?
View attachment 43453
Those look awesome!!
I'm finding that so many people are swapping out of their $80k Gladiator rims???...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

that I was able to score some Rubicon 17s off a 2021. I think they look great??
Hey Guys,

Yay or Nay?
View attachment 43453

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those look awesome!!
I'm finding that so many people are swapping out of their $80k Gladiator rims???... View attachment 43487
View attachment 43486
that I was able to score some Rubicon 17s off a 2021. I think they look great??
Nice ones and stock too! Hopefully next week I'll have some more updates. I found a guy that can arrange something for me from Dubai

·
Registered
07 Jeep Commander Overland
70 Posts
I agree with zeplon and have taken advantage of take offs from a new wrangler. I also don’t think of 17s as a downgrade but I guess it depends on what your going for. I would have went to 15s if it were possible. The more rubber the better, I think. Those definitely don’t look bad though. And of course not having to worry about spacers giving out on you is a bonus! Unless the rims are very low quality.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with zeplon and have taken advantage of take offs from a new wrangler. I also don’t think of 17s as a downgrade but I guess it depends on what your going for. I would have went to 15s if it were possible. The more rubber the better, I think. Those definitely don’t look bad though. And of course not having to worry about spacers giving out on you is a bonus! Unless the rims are very low quality.
True not a downgrade but more of a downsize to gain more options.

I found a set of 17's off a wrangler that I'm negotiating on. They aren't the best looking wheels but I like em and think would fit well with my car.

Will dip them in matte black and get proper tires if he accepts the offer.

16's are also a good option but I don't really need to go that far for my use.

·
Registered
07 Jeep Commander Overland
70 Posts
I considered the stele wheel look as well. I swore I could figure out how to get 16s in it as well but every where I look I hear it can’t be done, with the size of the brake caliper. My stubbornness says otherwise but I’m satisfied with the 17s for now.

·
Registered
2007 Hemi 5.7 Overland Commander
5 Posts

I found a set of 17's off a wrangler that I'm negotiating on. They aren't the best looking wheels but I like em and think would fit well with my car.

Hi I'm a fellow Jeep commander in Bahrain. Done the lift, full suspension replace and bigger tires, exhaust and intake, tune and more things for desert.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Quick update here, I Gotta excellent deal on these, $160 for all 5! They're 17's from a 2018 Wrangler. I'm loving the Satin Black color which saves me the agony of getting them painted/ dipped. Initially I wanted to go aftermarket but seeing they aren't Authentic (many reported vibration after 5-6 months of use), nor wanted the hassle of shipping from overseas.

I've got the spacers which I invested in already so I do think this was the most suitable route to go. Offsets suck on OEM's yeh, I can't argue on the quality though. Next step now is Tire hunting :)

Hopefully they'll be on next week!

Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Hubcap Tire

Reactions: Fred Zeplon

·
Registered
Dallas TX
110 Posts
good deal! sounds like you have a good plan going. I wonder if they can use the "sticker weights" to balance instead of the rim ones to clean the edges up

Reactions: FadyA

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
good deal! sounds like you have a good plan going. I wonder if they can use the "sticker weights" to balance instead of the rim ones to clean the edges up
Thanks! Yes the plan is for sticker weights. They're quite common so not sure why these were on them.

Next up are 265/70/17's BFGOODRICH or similar.. If all goes well I'll be done by Saturday

Reactions: dar124
1 - 20 of 28 Posts