Jeep Commander Forum banner

Wheel psi sensors & tire rotation

11K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  wkfore 
#1 ·
Just about to rotate the tires. I didn't think about this until now. Obviously, the spare dosen't have a sensor in it (does it?) and I can't rotate the spare in the tire rotation due to this, although I haven't looked at the owners manual or the spare yet to see what it says. Anybody run into this?

#3 ·
I believe the spare does have a tire pressure sensor in it.

From WKJeeps.com (I doubt that the Commander would be LESS equipped than the Grand Cherokee): "A sensor is installed in the spare wheel if the vehicle is equipped with a matching full size spare wheel and tire assembly"

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tpms.htm

#5 ·
If you have the base-TPMS, it doesn't matter if the wheels are moved to different positions. If you have the upgrade-TPMS, the wheels need to be re-calibrated. A magnet is used to allow the system to find each sensor in their new position so that the readings are displayed in the proper location.

XKPearl

#8 ·
Mango~Ridge said:
Thanks for the info, where does it tell me if I have the base tpms or the upgrade?
Advanced TPS is standard on the limited.

The easy way to find out... hit the "STEP" button on the dash and scroll through the display... if you have the advanced TPS you will see a small vehicle on the display with the tire pressure beside each wheel location. :)

#9 ·
If you have the dealer rotate, tell them to include the spare if you want it rotated. The first time I let them rotate my Liberty tires, they didn't rotate my spare, they said people usually don't rotate their spare. I could understand it if the spare wasn't on a matching rim, but they should ask anyways, probably just my dealer. I rotate my own now, they charge too much!

#10 ·
XKPearl said:
If you have the base-TPMS, it doesn't matter if the wheels are moved to different positions. If you have the upgrade-TPMS, the wheels need to be re-calibrated. A magnet is used to allow the system to find each sensor in their new position so that the readings are displayed in the proper location.

XKPearl

The XK does not use a magnet to recal, and does not need to be recalibrated after a tire rotation in any configuration. The computer will figure out where the tires have moved to within a few miles of driving at most. All WKs & XKs have a sensor on the spare tire.

#11 ·
ktek01,

I was only going by a response I recieved from Jeep reference my XK Commander base-TPMS. They did say that you guys (service departments) were supposed to use a "Training Magnet" to initiate a sensor ID transmission after tire service or rotation on the advanced-TPMS. But if this information is incorrect, then it is good to know that rotations can be done in a driveway w/out retraining sensors at the dealership.

XKPearl:)

#12 · (Edited)
XKPearl said:
ktek01,

I was only going by a response I recieved from Jeep reference my XK Commander base-TPMS. They did say that you guys (service departments) were supposed to use a "Training Magnet" to initiate a sensor ID transmission after tire service or rotation on the advanced-TPMS. But if this information is incorrect, then it is good to know that rotations can be done in a driveway w/out retraining sensors at the dealership.

XKPearl:)
Magnets came with the old WJs and 300M, but we have a little radio transmitter tool we use on the newer models. Really it hardly ever needs to be done, the sytem will pick up and locate even a new sensor on its own very quickly. They use a sensor in 3 wheel wells to locate, and assume the location of the fourth tire based on those readings. You can actually see it happen on the EVIC with models that display the tire pressure. You will lose the reading for a second getting just the dash lines, then it will display the new reading. This happens pretty quickly, usually before I make it out of the parking lot and sometimes you can see it change as you air the tire up. From what I have seen so far it is a very good and an accurate system, they always read within 1 psi of my calibrated tire gauge. The only time we have had to replace a sensor has been from wheel damage and the occassional bad battery.

#13 ·
UPDATE!!!:D
Rotated my spare in. The tps picked the change up as soon as I started the XK. When I step thru to the tire pressure display, I have a pic of a vehicle with the pressure readings for each tire at all four corners. :cool:

Come to find out when the dealer sprayed the under coat, they didn't remove the spare, hence....undercoating all over the rim, to the dealer we go, they will clean it for me:D

#14 ·
Good news that we have a matching spare to include in rotations...:)

One thing I've noticed on "always engaged" 4x4 equip.jeeps is the front tires are prone to cupping/feathering on the outer edges. A big help here is to cross rotate fronts to rear (one to spare) and move rears straight forward to front. New spare ends up on rear.
This will ensure even tread wear over time.

#16 ·
Anybody know if you can upgrade the base TPMS to the upgraded version? I would love to be able to physically see the tire pressure in the gauge cluster. I wish I would have researched all the features of the limited before I purchased a U package Commander instead.

I decided I didn't need the memory and didn't have to have the smart beam lights but it appears I overlooked a lot of nice features.

#17 ·
I was on vacation and needed service done on my JC limited. Dealer had a sign up with prices for various work. It was $12.95 to rotate the tires, which is about half of what I pay here in FL, but they had an additiona $5.00 charge if you had the sensors. I question the service mgr as to why the difference an he said that they needed to recalibrate the computer, I told him to read the owners manual, and that there was no calibration necessary. No extra charge on bill.

I aslo ask if they rotated the spare, the response was no unless asked. Also for some reason that morning I got a message saying that my spare was low, so definetly a sensor in the spare.

#21 ·
I have over 20,000 on my Commander Limited. I love the tire pressure system.

I recently started up in the morning and went to a gas station for a fillup and received the warning chime that one tire was low.

I found a nail in the tire, but put air in anyways. It held the air enough to get to a tire shop that could plug the hole. The entire time, I kept my display on the tire pressures and watched as the pressure would drop about 1 psi per 30 minutes.

Wonderful toy!

Smartbeam is great as well as RainSensing Wipers.

#22 ·
YEP! Love the rain sense wipers and smart beams... now if the thing could only auto-pilot with the nav system :cool:

As we are getting cold weather I just got the "Spare Low Pressure" warning...pretty cool...but what a pain it will be to have to lower the spare just to get the warning to go away. I will take the JC in to my fav tire place in the mornining and have them check all the tires.

#23 ·
yesterday was our first real cold day (mid 30s) and my wife called and said there was a light on and a dinger dingin. i asked her what it was and she didn't know. i told her when you buy a vehicle they put these little books in the glove compartment for you to read and if you would have read it then you would know what the problem is. she failed to find the humor in that.
anyway it was the low psi sensor. i told her to make sure none were flat and then she could drive it home. i checked them and they were all at about 30 (i just have the warning indicator, no temp readouts). i put 40 in all 4 and alls well now. lets see if my mileage goes back up. (it dropped from 15.7 last week to 15.3 this week) maybe that was why.

#24 ·
HemiCommander said:
... now if the thing could only auto-pilot with the nav system :cool:
Be careful what you ask for. Did you see the new Lexus? It uses the Nav system screen to let you choose a parking spot and the car will automatically park itself. All you have to do is work the brakes.

#25 ·
Had my first experience with the tire pressure warning system today. I got the rig 8 months ago and the tire pressure has always been about 33-34 PSI. Today my left front tire was down to 28 PSI (the rest were at 29 PSI). The warning light on the dash came on and the system indicator said "the left front tire was low.")

So, apparently on my vehicle, anything less than 29 PSI turns on the warning. I inflated all the tires back up to 35 PSI. This is a GREAT warning system in my humble opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.