Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm surprise to see that the wheels on my commanders doesn't get dirty with brake dust like my cls500 does. is that because they're using a special break pads or something? my wheels always look clean for the whole entire week or two which is defintely a good thing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
... do you have the "chrom clad" wheels, that are really plastic? In this case the reason is that the smoother finish offers less hold for the brake dust to settle into and "bake" hard on the wheel.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sportier cars or european manufacturers like BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, will typically use a softer brake pad compound, which will offer a higher friction co-efficient (grab harder) but also wear down faster. Braking feel and performance is typically increased, but a shorter maintenance interval and more dust are side effects.

I notice much more brake dust on my Cayenne S then on the Commander. It's actually great how the Commander wheels stay very clean, since I don't drive that car at overly aggressive speeds on the highways, I can live without the added dust.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I noticed this too. I actually have jeep wheels that got the real chrome dipped treatment (not the plastic clad ones)... and I've noticied this...

Even compared to my VW's wheels (Mintex pads on x-drilled rotors) ... The jeep's wheels are cleaner at the end of the week!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've noticed also, I like it. We have the aluminum wheels. My 03 Liberty has the plastic chrome wheels and I don't get any dust sticking to them. Our 02 Grand Cherokee has the aluminum wheels and the dust sticks like a magnet, my son drives it & he's still a bit heavy on the brakes. Proper braking techniques come with experience (in my opinion).

·
Registered
36 Posts
The dust will stick over time as the plastic surface becomes pitted.

I have had several DCX vehicles over the years with the chrome wheels and they all were resistant for the first few thousands of miles, then held brake dust like any other rim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts