Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace the black rivets in the front or back wheelwells? I recently had them replaced by the dealer body shop and they are smaller and also were cut off with dykes which means that every time I wash the truck my mit snags. Body guy says this is all they can get. :(

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Creek said:
Has anyone had to replace the black rivets in the front or back wheelwells? I recently had them replaced by the dealer body shop and they are smaller and also were cut off with dykes which means that every time I wash the truck my mit snags. Body guy says this is all they can get. :(
That doesn't sound right. They should be able to fix that properly. Any visible damage from they cutting them off?

·
Registered
480 Posts
The dealer should have the right ones and replace them free of charge. I had some of mine replaced after removing them to get a look at the area behind the front bumper, the dealer put in the correct ones.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I found some at autozone that look like the ones on the grill, they work very good...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I went out and bought a rivet gun from auto zone and happened to get a crap load of extra rivets with my rear hitch when i bought it. I think they accidently put to many in!

To answer your question I would personally take it back and make them replace the rivets with the proper ones!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigPoppaJNutZ said:
That doesn't sound right. They should be able to fix that properly. Any visible damage from they cutting them off?

No damage to the truck, but everytime I wash it my mit snags. I think I will visit a dealer parts dept an order some rivets an see what I get.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
You'll get a bill for $3.25 per rivet. Get the body shop to use the proper rivets, they can get them, sounds like they're just being lazy or the dealer's parts department is crappy.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Definatly the incorrect plastic rivet.They used one that looks like a plastic pop rivet.The correct one looks similar but once inserted the pin is pushed in and is flush with the head.just like the others.Parts manual is a computer fiech and the detail is poor.Tell em try harder.The correct ones are easier to install than what they installed.The body shop will thank you for ragging the parts dept.They've probably been trying to get the right ones from parts dept.longer than you have.If you keep running into roadblocks P.M. me and I'll call my guy at jeep and get you the P.#
Rob

·
Registered
321 Posts
sorry uber - just realized you posted the link to the same thread.

Creek - I have used the rivets and riveter on more than the wheel wells on the XK. Same ones work for the wheel well liner on my ZJ as well and I used them when I installed the tow hooks on that as well.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Agreed. I bought a plastic rivet gun and the correct rivets when I removed my bumper cover to install the tow hooks. $50 later all was assembled correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts