Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Limited is an 06 but only has 25k miles on it. Been driven about 37 months. However, I've heard tires will start to rot after 3 years. The paint on the "Fortera" is a little faded and worn looking but the tread looks deep enough to keep going. Should I replace now or wait? We're taking it on a week long vacation and probably will drive a 500-600 miles each way..

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You should replace the forteras as soon as you get home from the dealership. :)
Well, if money were not a concern, I would agree with CommanderChaos. However, follow Robby's advice but when the time comes, you may want a more agressive tire and a little larger tire as well.

But I say, use them up first.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's a good one!! :D That was the first thing I did too.

The general rule is replace tires at 7 years past the manu. date stamp regardless of how they look. That's especially true for trucks and large RV's where a lot of weight (and/or your life) rides on the tires.

As for the Jeep, you might push beyond that date since there isn't 17,500 lbs. on the rear axle like I have in my Safari motorcoach, but... you're still living on borrowed time after seven years. :)

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I have 38k on my 06 and the forteras are down to the wear marks. Im geting new tires this week. I think they are rated 40 or 50k. Not sure on that though.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
:bigthumb: CommanderChaos. On my 07 XK I replaced the Goodforayears at 25,000 miles. My 06 XK still has the originals on it and they only have 18,000 miles on them now. I do want to replace them before the winter with an all terrain tire.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
My Limited is an 06 but only has 25k miles on it. Been driven about 37 months. However, I've heard tires will start to rot after 3 years. The paint on the "Fortera" is a little faded and worn looking but the tread looks deep enough to keep going. Should I replace now or wait? We're taking it on a week long vacation and probably will drive a 500-600 miles each way..

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Ranger6882. Lmao!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
My '07 has just passed 25,000 miles and I might get another 3-5,000 out of the forteras before they are completely done. I'll be replacing them in October as I think they will become unreliable in the very wet conditions we get in Vancouver, B.C.

I bought my Limited with low milage but now put an average of 3-4,000 miles per month on it.

If anyone can suggest a fairly durable tire which is good in wet conditions and also has descent performance in the snow I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Everyone knocks the forteras but I have 38K on mine and should be able to get another 5-10K on them. They have performed very well for me while doing moderate off road. Of course I would like tires with a more aggressive tread but why waste your money? Unless you run lots of snow/mud you shouldn't need to change right away. Like most of you I will go to a A/T style tire when I'm ready to replace.

Anyone remember the VW commercial?
"And to my grandson whose motto has always been, a penny saved is a penny earned, I leave my entire fortune of 100 million dollars. :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to knock the Forteras. I have 41k on mine and they still have good tread. My state inspection is coming up in October and they should be fine. Of course when I do replace them, I want an aggressive tread, but my Forteras did just fine on the trails last weekend at Camp Commander. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
We have all discussed the wear characteristics of the original tires at length.
I have reminded all, that tires, regardless of brand, will have different wear rates in different regions of the country, as well as rapid wear due to underinflation, driving habits, poor rotation schedule, etc.
For example, whenever I drive down to Louisiana from northern Illinois and back, I am fascinated with the very course aggregate in the pavement in different states.
Very course stuff throughout Missippi (asphalt), fine concrete on the causeways in Louisiana, but very course asphalt on the ground level.
I have noticed the real course stuff mostly in the south and southwestern states.
I think this may be done to assist water drainage and help avoid hydroplaning.
This course material won't work well in the north (snowbelt) because the water will freeze in the crevases and break up the pavement.(It breaks up anyways, just not as fast)
So, that may be why some have better tire life than others in addition to the tire maintainence I listed above.

My own experience so far:
I always have a tread depth gauge with me. (anal, remember?)
I measured the Forteras when new.
They are 10/32nd's out of the box.
Today, I'm just under 26K miles.
All 4 tires measured at 7/32nd's
As long as my usage/maintenence doesn't change, and using 3/32nd's as the replacement point, this set of tires should make 50K without much trouble.
But, there is one more variable that causes different wear characteristics in different regions.
That is, operating temperature of the tire.
Those of you throughout the warmer parts of the country are operating with hotter (SOFTER) rubber for a much longer length of time over a year.
Those of us in the snowbelt and cooler areas likely are experiencing much better tire wear.
In my case, the Commander is my primary cold weather vehicle. (Thats why I bought it)
So, my tires enjoy the best situation from a wear standpoint.
Comparativly smooth pavement, flat land, cool carcass temperature.

So, when we beat up a particular component, in this case, tires, a question should come up in ones own head:
Is there something I am doing, or something I can't control causing this particular experience?
As I read the various posts relating to tire wear, I also look to see where the writer lives (well, those that have it in their sig)
I notice the Northern operators have better luck with tires than ya'all in the south.

Just lamenting on a observation,
Rob

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would say as soon as you get the money to get a better tire...whattever you can afford...I personally dont like the forteras I do Like the khumo ats that my XK came with but am looking for a more aggressive stance now...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts