Jeep Commander Forum banner

Which type of wash do you use to clean your XK?

• Let the dealership wash it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never have, never will...

• Coin Operated Power Wash / Self Service

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I wash by hand during the spring/summer/fall months. Off times or when I need a quick wash, I'll go to the local spray wash. Never through the robo washes, the touch free ones suck, and the touch ones scratch the paint.

Always always always towel this vehicle or any others off after you're done washing. If you don't it won't be clean. You cannot get all of the scum off just by washing alone. I use Microfiber. By drying it manually I only have to wax twice a year and the vehicle remains shinier than new. Drying it off also allows you the opportunity to dry the wheels to get the grime off of them so it doesn't get baked on and ruin the wheels. It also forces you to look at the vehicle so you know exactly where/when any dents/dings/scratches are so you can take care of them.

So, I couldn't answer your poll entirely since the non-auto type car wash was not an option.

(Side note, I washed mine at the carwash a week or so ago and it was 30 out. Man that was cold)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
You didn't really leave the selection that most of us use, The coin operated spray wash.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a49erFootballFan said:
You didn't really leave the selection that most of us use, The coin operated spray wash.
Sorry about that you all... I hadn't use those much, and didn't think it was much of use. Note taken...sadly I can't edit the poll piece here :(

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts
Drive through spray wash--no brushes!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
After at least every second time I drive it...
Drive through TOUCHLESS car wash.

Every couple of days...
Mequirers Ultimate Quik Detailer

Every six months...
Fully detailed inside and out at Dealer (clay bar, paint protectant, etc.).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I usually hand wash it myself most of the time. I once in a while go to the gas station to get it washed. But I preer to wash it by hand so I know what is or isn't clean. Plus, I get lots of compliments about how clean my XK gets when I wash it. Usually people ask me if they would want me to wash their cars for them. Hey, maybe I can do this on the side. LOL!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love to wash my Commander at home when the weather permits otherwise I bring it to the carwash and make sure they do the under dercarrage. They put Lots of salt on the roads here in the North East.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hand wash, whenever it gets so dirty I can't stand it. Except in the winter. With our current water crisis in Georgia, I have not washed it in a while. I was going to wash when I was at my brother's house in Destin this Christmas - but it was cold and raining the entire time. :-(

I may let the guys at the hand wash shop do it - they've been running some specials lately.

·
Registered
476 Posts
webjones said:
Hand wash, whenever it gets so dirty I can't stand it. Except in the winter. With our current water crisis in Georgia, I have not washed it in a while. I was going to wash when I was at my brother's house in Destin this Christmas - but it was cold and raining the entire time. :-(

I may let the guys at the hand wash shop do it - they've been running some specials lately.
I handwash only. Allows me to give check for paint issues and is a good stress relief for me :)

I am in N Georgia - due to the current drought water restrictions I am not allowed to wash at home - the solution :cool: Take my bucket, Mequirers soap, towles and $15.00 to the local spray wash. This still allows me to wash by hand (legally) and the owners dare not say anything since I am paying for bay time!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Hand wash during the warm months, automatic during the winter.

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts
Creek said:
For those using a car wash do you remove the antenna
I don't remove mine. I have an aftermarket shorty antenna. It's a short rubber Euro-style that I got on ebay.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am with red. In the winter it isn't practical or sometimes possible to hand wash, but when it is I do. Chamois after the wash.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Creek said:
Hand wash. For those using a car wash do you remove the antenna
I have the short billet so I do not remove mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hand wash only and every weekend. I live in GA and work/play in FL. Between the GA dirt and FL salt water hand washing is the ONLY way to get it looking nice. Takes me apprx. 2-3 hours to get it perfect (inside and out) but once I'm done it looks awesome! I've tried to pay someone once but noone cares more for your stuff than yourself so they don't do the best job and for the money I paid them to do it I could wash it numerous times myself and better. Luckily because of where I live there is no such thing as winter only February! :p Never too cold to wash the truck!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts