Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought a 2007 with an REC(at least I think so...says that on the manual and matches pics of REC's) but I don't have the sat receiver box under the rear passenger seat.

I want sat radio, and don't want to mount my portable sat radio head in there. I would like it to be integrated...where do I get the sat receiver box?

Graeme

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
justforjeeps.com. They are a Jeep dealer in Massachusetts.

This is the radio: it comes with the receiver and the antenna:

http://www.justforjeeps.com/ausisarasy2.html

This is the installation kit. Make sure you get the one for the Commander:

http://www.justforjeeps.com/sisainkit.html

This is expensive, but it is the cleanest way to go. You run the sirius right from the radio - the mode button. I did this last year because I have the VES and did not want to lose any functions and compatibility. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is absolutely ridiculous. It costs 50 bucks for a whole starmate 3 (or 4 now) system that includes everything, yet just the add on for the REC unit costs over 500 bucks...seems insane.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Seems very expensive. How is it you can get a minature Sirius radio for 1/10th the cost of the box for the REC radio's? Is integration that expensive?

I would go with a Starmate if I were in your shoes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have a starmate 3 in my XJ and I swap to my boat. But the commander is my "nice" vehicle...I kinda wanted it clean without junky wires and tacky heat units stuck to the windshield...maybe I will start checking junkyards for crashed commanders...lol

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Maybe someone here on the forum has the unit but doesn't subscribe to Sirius radio. You could post a want to buy thread.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Seems very expensive. How is it you can get a minature Sirius radio for 1/10th the cost of the box for the REC radio's? Is integration that expensive?

You got that right. Besides the cost, it is old technology. I didn't realize it until I went to activate it and gave them the S/N. I'm limited to what package of stations I can get, and there is no XM. But, it is still the cleanest way to go as far as installation. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
8 Posts

IMO, I think it is because the external devices dont really have that great a sound quality. My Ford Focus I traded in for the XK, I had an aftermarket head unit with integrated Sirius and it sounded wonderful. I bought a Stratus 6 for my Jeep, and it just doesnt sound as nice. Even with the adapter that hooks straight into the FM antenna.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
IMO, I think it is because the external devices dont really have that great a sound quality. My Ford Focus I traded in for the XK, I had an aftermarket head unit with integrated Sirius and it sounded wonderful. I bought a Stratus 6 for my Jeep, and it just doesnt sound as nice. Even with the adapter that hooks straight into the FM antenna.
Excellent point. I get clean, clear, crisp sound with enough bass to move my pant's leg - Sirius sounds better than FM or CD! No static either. :eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Go to a junkyard and look for 2006-2007 commander with sat. you might also have to get the cable out of it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I already have a starmate 3 in my XJ and I swap to my boat. But the commander is my "nice" vehicle...I kinda wanted it clean without junky wires and tacky heat units stuck to the windshield...maybe I will start checking junkyards for crashed commanders...lol
I'm with you. I don't like a bunch of wires and misc. devices all over the place.

Check out www.car-part.com and search for at least the stereo. If you find a junk yard that has it, you can call and see if they have the other parts.

Ebay is another good spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts