Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope this does not sound like a lecture. I just ran the wiring for my instrument pod and had to go thru the firewall and thru the dash. I drilled two holes and thought I would post the pictures in case anyone is hesitant to drill in these areas. The holes that I made are in places that do not interfere with or cause any problems.

The first picture shows where to drill from under the hood. The hole should be just to the right and outside of the gromment and to the left of the brake master cylinder.

The second picture shows a wire in the hole without the drill in the way.

The third picture shows a close up of the wire cable going thru the hole

The fourth picture shows where the drill bit comes thru under the dash to the upper right of the steering column.

The fifth picture shows a safe place to drill down thru the top of the dash without hitting anything.

The last two pictures are in the next post because there is a limit of five pictures per post.

The sixth picture shows the instrument pod mounted on the dash.

The last picture shows where you can tee into a vacuum line if you are installing a vacuum gauge.

Maybe someone can clean post the pictures instead of the links. Thanks in advance

I thought that this post might help in case you are worried about drilling in these areas.

Attachments

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Last two pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure it the V8's are the same... but when I ran my wiring for my stereo through the firewall on my V6, i managed to locate a rubber plug which isn't exactly seen in your second picture.... the plug really serving much of a purpose, so i poked a hole in it and ran my wires through. I pulled the wires through the other side under the steering column behind the carpet and to the back. it was kind of a simple way to run wires without drilling.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Hank said:
I'm not sure it the V8's are the same... but when I ran my wiring for my stereo through the firewall on my V6, i managed to locate a rubber plug which isn't exactly seen in your second picture....
Let's see a pic.....when I drilled mine, I could not find any unused plugs. Someone else suggested the same thing.......an unused plug...but I didnt find any.

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
cico7 said:
Let's see a pic.....when I drilled mine, I could not find any unused plugs. Someone else suggested the same thing.......an unused plug...but I didnt find any.
I went out and took a pic for you.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Its unused on the Hemi and V6 are drive-by-wire, so they don't have a throttle cable, hence the unused hole. 4.7s have a regular throttle cable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There is another unused hole farther down. From the inside of the cabin pull back your carpet and dead pedal foam. its right around there. It is unused on the 4.7L I have my "0" guage power wire through it, and there is room for more!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Driver side? Under floor or closer to firewall?
I ran one wire throught the gromet with hood cable.

One of the installation guides tells you to run your wire attached to a coat hook and push it thru the grommet where the main wires go through.....I was nervous to try that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts