Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for mounting options for my subs. Many of you I see, just place the box in the very back. That is a good option, but for me, it wont really work. I do alot of stuff on the fly, and I'm usually the DD for many events. That being said, I will most likely use my back seats alot. I dont want the hassel of having to remove them all the time, or leaving them some where. My buddy has a slim box, but they just dont sound good. So I've seen it done before, but cant seem to find any info on it.

I know its custom and alot of work but w/e. I've seen people mount their subs in the back, cut into the side panels. Anyone ever done this?

Pics Please.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
I haven't checked yet but someone mentioned that the rear plastic wells might have enough space to put a sub in if you don't have one of the features, maybe the rear air system or something. You could open all those panels up and look in there. That may be where I stick a sub/amp combo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think your options are going to be pretty limited, especially if you want something that sounds good. Your best bet may be a bazooka tube or something with the sub/amp built into one unit. Depending on how it's wired, it should be easy to remove.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Slim or truck boxes can sound fine. You just need to buy the appropriate sub for the appropriate enclosure, or have an enclosure custom built for a specific sub. A reputable local car audio shop should be able to help you with this.

Airspace is airspace and a subwoofer doesn't care what shape the enclosure is, some subs are ment for a low volume enclosure and some are ment for huge enclosures or even no enclosure at all. If you just want a small wedge box to go in the back just make sure that the sub is ment for a low volume enclosure.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I love it. Where can I put my subs and Meatball responds. All I can think of is a hot meatball sub sandwhich. It's time to go to Subway.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'm asking if its possible then. I can pretty much do anything with fiberglass. Is there enough room for the subs to fit. Its just been so long since we had our commander, I never really looked. The main goal is to put them where the will not interfere with the backseats at all. Most of the time the 3rd row will be down. But I do not want to have to move anything to go on a road trip.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thats a good design, ive never been a fan of Elemental Designs speakers though. (not saying their bad, just never impressed)

If I was building to keep the third row of seats i would look at doing 2 or 4 8" subs across where the jack and tire tools are. build it to attach like the original piece does. Don't know if it would fit but I can take a look tonight.

It also depends on what kind of bass your looking for, if your looking to be heard from blocks away, that wont work for you, but neither will a single 10 in a wedge box. I like my sub bass to blend and not overpower anything, i don't want people to know I have a big sub in my car when theyre listening. So it would work for me.

I have access to another commander w/o a sub installed, let me take a look tonight and see what kind of room there is to fit some subs.

BTW: MMMM subway....tasty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That Elemental Designs box looks nice but I bet it doesn't sound so good being that close to the tailgate. I just built a vented box for two 8's which sounds awfully good but it definitely isn't what you're looking for. Maybe you should look into some free air subs for what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting sub box possbility

If I violate rules by posting a link I'm sorry, while bored at work today I've been planning on how I'm going to setup my new Commander when I buy it. I've read a lot of discussion about sub placement and people not wanting to loose their 3rd seat functionality. I stumbled upon this box
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SWX310-12-Inch-Preloaded-Enclosure/dp/B0013L59V0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=car&qid=1264637084&sr=1-7
While i know it won't put out mind shattering bass, I'm wondering if would be a good compliment for someone looking for a full ranged sound with a little bit of a bump to it? Personally I was happy when I had an 8" Kicker comp in a bandpass box in my ZJ, so if this could approach that lvl of bass I'd be content. Any inputs or ideas?
Aaron

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
If I violate rules by posting a link I'm sorry,
Not a violation to post the link, but post in existing threads unless you have a new topic. I moved your comment to this thread.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I do alot of stuff on the fly, and I'm usually the DD for many events. That being said, I will most likely use my back seats alot.
If I was you I would just have passengers sit on top of the box in the back (rope also makes an excellent seat belt :icon_razz:). Think of the POWER!!! Then again, bass is a priority over safety when I give my buddies a lift lol. Realistically, I'm sure you can have someone fab all new panels in the back to incorporate subs, but it probably wouldn't be worth to do so. Either sacrifice the space and throw in some big subs or settle with the slim box design (although I've heard JL Audio has made some really nice slim design subs that can put out as much as 600W RMS each, which is pretty impressive for people who have limited space). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to try and duplicate that enclosure. Perhaps even a two-sub version. Will try and make a cardboard mockup this weekend..

·
Registered
12 Posts
any updates on this? i'm also looking for a 1 maybe 2 10" box that will fit behind the 3rd row. not looking for huge bass, just want something with a little kick. any suggestions on decent speakers for this application? i had an alpine type-r before and it sounded pretty good, but the magnets are huge on those.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Na, I opted to do just the standard box in the back. I bought the suv for me, not to worry about other people. If I have issues in the future, I might go this route.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been waiting for it to warm up to begin work on my speakers and subs, had a heck of a deal come up last fall and I've got a stack of speaker and amp boxes in my living room waiting to find a new home.
I was thinking of a "standard" type box, two pieces with quick connects so I could take it out quick for cargo, but then I ran into another thread on the custom steel toolboxes guys were making up to go in place of the third row...
Kills all birds with one stone lol, I'm planning now a custom box that will replace the third row seats, lie flush with the second row when its folded so long items can go in. It'll also have room for additional storage compartments, plus with the rear AC ducts lining up with the sides, it'll help cool the amps...
Now just to pull the third row and start measuring... I'll update once I get started.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a DIY guide to replace the speakers from the side doors and front panel? A better one would be one with pics and a step by step guide. I want to reuse the same enclosures original speakers are.
Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts