Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I am looking to buy a used 4x4.

I have never had a 4x4 in the past so I don't know what I should be looking for.

The few that I've narrowed it down to is, Jeep Commander, Chevrolet Tahoe, Nissan Armada/Pathfinder and the Ford Expedition/explorer.

The Armada and Tahoe would be my first choices due to the look of the vehicle and the options you get inside, but there seems to be a good deal on a jeep Commander and I think it outweighs the looks of the other two 4x4s.

I live in Dubai and the cost of a new Jeep Commander is around $46000 here.

A company has two 2008 silver LTD editions with full options and they have only done 50 delivery miles for $30000.

I would like to know from the people that already own or have owned a Jeep Commander if they are worth the money and how good of a 4x4 they are.

I will mostly be using this for urban driving, but most weekends will be going to be driving on sand at the beach or out in the desert.

I realise that it's not for major off roading and I will not be doing any of that.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rob.

Can you please say a bit more.

I'm assuming that this person has had a bad experience in some way.

If this is true can you please let me know and I won't even entertain buying one.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
No deuce,
Ahmed lives in your neck of the world I believe.
He is a fellow Commander owner and can provide great info relative to helping you make your decision. He has a 2007 XH (International Version)
The operating parameters you are asking about seem to mirror his.
Keep an eye out for his responses, he usually is online about 6 hours from now.(I don't know the time difference between this side of the world and yours)

Rob

PS. He lives in Riyadh (hope I spelled that correctly)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Deuce, as Robby said, Ahmed has the international Commander. In several of his posts including video and pictures, he has been able to ascend more sand dune hills than his friends with other 4x4 vehicles. I personally recommend the Commander for your type of use. It would be beneficial to get a 5.7L V8 with QuadraDrive II 4 wheel drive system but if you find the 4.7L V8 and QuadraTrac II 4wd system that would be almost as good. I really like my Commander. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned, after having had many different types.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Yes, Ahmed is the guy to talk to! He seems to really enjoy his Commander out there in the sand and sun - and I'm sure you will too!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Deuce, I agree with the others that you should talk to Ahmed and get an idea of any issues he may have had with the XH. Other than that it sounds like a good price. Getting $16,000 off of the $46,000 sticker price is like getting 1/3 of the price reduced. That is a good deal in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Remember that Jeep was one of the first 4 wheel drives, the others are all copy cats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much to all of you for taking the time to give me some feedback.

As I said before I have never owned a 4x4 and so I don't know anything about them.

I am trying to do some research before shelling out $30000.

The Jeep Commander wouldn't be my first choice as there are two other 4x4 (Armada and Tahoe) that I would choose over it.

I prefer the exterior of these other two and I think they both have a few more extras inside (central dvd player, sat nav).

I went to the Jeep dealership yesterday and found out that the 2009 full option Commander comes with both sat nav and central dvd player.

I know it's not a major problem as I can buy a sat nav system for a few hundred dollars and always get a dvd system fitted.

I joined here to mainly find out whether it was a good deal and the Jeep Commander was a good 4x4 overall.

I will speak to ahmed and get some feedback from him.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Thanks guys for recommending me, thanks for your trust.

deuce, Is it 4.7L or 5.7L ,,, and are you sure its 2008? up to my knowledge Saudi and UAE didn't import 2008 and 2009 Commanders!

You might not compare the Taho, Aramada with the Commander due to the size difference. In my opinion the Commander is not very good option for three seat rows, due to the very small area after the third row. so it depends on your requirements. if you have a big family and plan to travel with them very often with all seats up then you might think about the Taho and Armada.

From 4x4 point of view, the Commander will beat both of the other options and will do fine for "light" off-roading (exterm off-roading will require a lift)

I think UAE and Saudi share the same problem with Jeep resale value, so don't expect alot from selling the Commander later.

as for the price, it looks good for 2008,, but not that good if it is 2007.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ahmed for the reply.

The company is called 4x4 motors and it has 3 silver Jeep commanders with each of them doing only 50km delivery miles.

They all say 2008 JEEP COMMANDER LIMITED
HEMI V8, 5.7 LTR.

I will have to check this as it looks like they have just used the same pictures and wording for each of them.

I did have a shock when I lifted the rear door and noticed a very small space behind the third row.

I was initially looking at a Tahoe or Armada as they did have a pretty big space at the rear considering there were three rows of seats.

I didn't even know that Jeep did a seven seater until I saw this and only became interested as it is basically brand new with around $16000 off.

I will probably not use this at all for off roading, but the reason I wanted a seven seater is that a lot of family and friends will be coming out to see us over the years and it's a decent size to keep everyone pretty comfortable.

For most of the year I will have the rear seats down so I can get my 2 dogs in and if I have people to pick up from the airport I can always buy something to put suitcases on the roof.

I'm not that majorly concerned about the exterior look of the Commander compared to the Tahoe and Armada, but I will be probably be leaving Dubai within the next 5 years or so to move to the states and would like to take whatever vehicle I had with me.

I have seen 1 and 2 year old Tahoe's and Armada's for around the same price as this Commander and would like to know which is the best built one that has the least problems.

I don't want to go for the Commander and end up paying more in the long run on mechanical work to it.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have seen 1 and 2 year old Tahoe's and Armada's for around the same price as this Commander and would like to know which is the best built one that has the least problems.

I don't want to go for the Commander and end up paying more in the long run on mechanical work to it.
From my experience for 68000 Km and 1 and half year, I can say that the Commander is not the best when it comes to problems. but no many major problems to worry about. I can say its in the middle when it comes to durability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts