Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 3 50.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about which of the 3 engines has proven to be the most reliable.
I have been doing research and I understand that each of the 3 OEM engine choices may have their problems and the 5.7 is the more difficult of the 3 to work on as it is the most complex.

Can any one recommend which of the 3 engines might be the best choice or lowest maintenance of the 3?
Thanks in advance.
~ E.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2010 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 and a 2000 Dodge Durango with the 4.7, which I believe is the same engine largely as the 4.7 in the pre-2008 Commander (in 2008, the 4.7 was substantially revised to increase horsepower from 230 to over 300, as a result of a higher compression ratio with knock sensors, different cams/intake and other changes). I do all of the maintenance and nearly all of the mechanical work on both vehicles but am a shade tree mechanic with no professional experience.

These are my thoughts —

The 3.7 is a six cylinder version of the 4.7 so reliability should be the same. However, the torque output is much lower but the gas mileage is about the same as the 4.7. I would not get a Commander with the 3.7 unless it is in exceptional good condition and at a good price.

All of these engines use the same transmission, so no difference there.

My vehicles have over 100,000 miles each and the engines in both (and also the vehicles themselves) have been very reliable. I have had to do no major engine work other than regular maintenance although I have done that maintenance religiously. Neither has ever left me stranded.

Parts are plentiful as all three engines have been used in hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

The 5.7 engine is far more complex than the pre-2008 4.7, with the MDS system, dual spark plugs, knock sensors, etc . . . I find the 5.7 daunting and a bit scary to work on sometimes and a few times have had to take it to a mechanic to solve an issue that I could not figure out.

I find the 4.7 to be far easier to diagnose if a issue comes up and far, far easier to work on. I think this is because of the simpler technology. I have only taken my Durango to a mechanic a handful of times over the 20 years that I have owned it and that was many years ago when my work and family situation didn’t permit me the time to do the work. Note that the 2008 and later 4.7 was upgraded to many of the same technologies as the 5.7 so this likely only applies to the pre 2008 4.7.

The 5.7 produces much more power but gets better gas mileage than the 4.7.

Overall, I think the 5.7 is the best choice for the Commander but I wouldn’t hesitate buying one with the 4.7 for a good price.

I hope this helps. I expect others with more knowledge will chime in.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
862 Posts
The older 5.7 engines 2006-2008? have a problem with dropping valve seats. Good bye engine. It usually only happens if the engine has been overheated. Mine has 120K miles and only engine problem was replacing the water pump. I change the 16 plugs myself and yes it takes a while but fairly easy. I am big on preventative maintenance so that helps on any engine. My old Grand Cherokee had the 4.7 and it also had next to no problems.

Reactions: G_unitXK and Erik

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2010 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 and a 2000 Dodge Durango with the 4.7, which I believe is the same engine largely as the 4.7 in the pre-2008 Commander (in 2008, the 4.7 was substantially revised to increase horsepower from 230 to over 300, as a result of a higher compression ratio with knock sensors, different cams/intake and other changes). I do all of the maintenance and nearly all of the mechanical work on both vehicles but am a shade tree mechanic with no professional experience.

These are my thoughts —

The 3.7 is a six cylinder version of the 4.7 so reliability should be the same. However, the torque output is much lower but the gas mileage is about the same as the 4.7. I would not get a Commander with the 3.7 unless it is in exceptional good condition and at a good price.

My vehicles have over 100,000 miles each and the engines in both (and also the vehicles themselves) have been very reliable. I have had to do no major engine work other than regular maintenance although I have done that maintenance religiously. Neither has ever left me stranded.

Parts are plentiful as all three engines have been used in hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

The 5.7 engine is far more complex than the pre-2008 4.7, with the MDS system, dual spark plugs, knock sensors, etc . . . I find the 5.7 daunting and a bit scary to work on sometimes and a few times have had to take it to a mechanic to solve an issue that I could not figure out.

I find the 4.7 to be far easier to diagnose if a issue comes up and far, far easier to work on. I think this is because of the simpler technology. I have only taken my Durango to a mechanic a handful of times over the 20 years that I have owned it and that was many years ago when my work and family situation didn’t permit me the time to do the work. Note that the 2008 and later 4.7 was upgraded to many of the same technologies as the 5.7 so this likely only applies to the pre 2008 4.7.

The 5.7 produces much more power but gets better gas mileage than the 4.7.

Overall, I think the 5.7 is the best choice for the Commander but I wouldn’t hesitate buying one with the 4.7 for a good price.

I hope this helps. I expect others with more knowledge will chime in.
Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The older 5.7 engines 2006-2008? have a problem with dropping valve seats. Good bye engine. It usually only happens if the engine has been overheated. Mine has 120K miles and only engine problem was replacing the water pump. I change the 16 plugs myself and yes it takes a while but fairly easy. I am big on preventative maintenance so that helps on any engine. My old Grand Cherokee had the 4.7 and it also had next to no problems.
Thank you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have an 06 Limited Hemi 4x4 with 141k miles on the clock... bought it new way back when. All I can say is the engine has been rock solid! As far as non-engine issues: I replaced the starter around 85k miles, replaced the water pump around 110k, and had the rear differential rebuilt around 130k. Additionally, I replaced the belt and wheel hub assemblies at 132k just because (they weren't giving me issues, but figured given the miles on the Jeep, it was time). The rest has been routine maintenance. Not bad for a 15 year old SUV.

Sorry I couldn't compare the 3 like CaptainJeep. However, if I were you, I'd pick between the two V8 engines and avoid the V6.

Reactions: G_unitXK and Erik

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I am not mistaken the 5.7 is the basic Hemi that Dodge has used for years, the 4.7 is a Mercedes base engine that is very expensive when they break

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Commander 2WD Limited 2010 has the 5.7 Litre and it has now done nearly 140K. My wife bought it new and had it serviced regularly at dealer. Since about 80K miles I have done oil regularly, the 16 plugs etc and it's been very good. I was told by one mechanic that the 5.7 Litre hemi suffers valve lifter issues at high mileage, 180K, anyone else heard that or know if it's true?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Incorrect. The 4.7 Powertech is a US designed and built engine. 4.7 Liter Next Generation/Corsair V8 Engines (Dodge - Jeep). Also, who ever said that there was only one transmission behind all engines, incorrect. In the US, the 3.7 got the Daimler-Benz NAG1/WA580 , 4.7's and 5.7's got the 545RFE.

If I am not mistaken the 5.7 is the basic Hemi that Dodge has used for years, the 4.7 is a Mercedes base engine that is very expensive when they break

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually the 3.7 V6 uses the NAG1 transmission which is Mercedes built. This is a different tranny than the other two engine options.

My 2 cents. I’ve only owned a commander with the 3.7. I’m sure if I had a V8 I would love it more, but the V6 isn’t terrible. Yes the gas mileage sucks. But honestly it’s been 220,000 miles and you get used to it and hardly notice that it’s underpowered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I would not get a Commander with the 3.7 unless it is in exceptional good condition and at a good price.
Like a 3.7 for $1700, the interior is dirty but it's fine otherwise? Would that be worth it as a cheap start in the commander world?

My budget is 2k and I'm looking something big enough to travel/live in with my gf short term :) so it's either a 3.7 or a GC.

great forum

·
Registered
39 Posts
If that Commander with the 3.7 is in good shape with not too many miles and is the best you can find for what you can afford, then go for it. A Commander is a lot of vehicle for $1700. They are underpriced in the market compared to GCs and other SUVs for what get, I think.

The 3.7 is a six cylinder version of the 4.7 and was used in many, many Dodge and Jeep trucks and SUVs for many years.

I showed my lack of knowledge of the 3.7 re the transmission — sorry about that.

I would choose a Commander with the 4.7 over one with the 3.7 if both are the same price and same condition but wouldn’t shy away from the 3.7 if that is the best for the price. The 3.7 should be easier to work on since more room in the engine bay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would choose a Commander with the 4.7 over one with the 3.7 if both are the same price and same condition but wouldn’t shy away from the 3.7 if that is the best for the price. The 3.7 should be easier to work on since more room in the engine bay.
I always brag that’s the one lonely benefit of the 3.7. There’s also no fan clutch since it’s an electronic fan so you can fit the living room couch between the engine and radiator.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
862 Posts
I always brag that’s the one lonely benefit of the 3.7. There’s also no fan clutch since it’s an electronic fan so you can fit the living room couch between the engine and radiator.
It would be a bit warm on that couch. :LOL: :giggle: :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
That makes me want a Commander with the 3.7. The 5.7 is so packed into the engine bay, it makes things that should be simple (like replacing spark plugs) so difficult to do and take so long..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced cylinder heads on my 3.7l. I was able to stand in the engine bay to work on it. The space made things super accesible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts