Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking at the commanders alot more since everybody loves them, and no major problems yet. I decided to get a light kaki basic commander with the 4.7. I dont really need the hemi or the gas that it takes. I have a hemi in my truck and i feel that it has almost too much power, so i think putting a hemi in a smaller vehicle would have way too much power. I'm only stuck on one more option.... which 4wd system to get? I've read all of the reports on how good the quadra- drive 2 are, but no reports on the other 4wd systems. I really don't like the fact that all of the systems are full- time, I like the fact the you have control over which wheels are spinning. (i guess im used to my cherokee). Which 4wd system does everybody have and what do they reccomend? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have quadra track one. Most basic, always on. Haven't gone offroad, so won't know how it does yet. I do plan on trying to get'er stuck though somewhere :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the Quadra 2 and I plan on doing some beginner off-roading and it gives me confidence to know it's the toughest out there of any SUV. I've read some test drive reviews (off road) for this system with the Hemi and it seems to be unstoppable.
Plus.....it has a true neutral position so you tow it behind your motorhome or pull it out of a hole with another vehicle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the Hemi, so I had no choice - Quadra-Drive II, which is fine with me. To be honest, I have no need to be in 2WD - I always had my ZJ in 4WD HI.

I would give you the following advice about engines, though, since you brought them up:

V6 - pretty much everyone says it's underpowered for the ~5000lbs of vehicle.

4.7 - OK choice, but:

Hemi - Gets about the same mileage and the package includes Quadra-Drive II.

To me, it was a no-brainer to get the Hemi/QDII.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Go with the quadra 2. It is nice to have if you ever need it. The lockable diffs front and rear make the difference between stuck and not stuck.

Worth the money in my book.

Bob

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've pondered the thought of getting the LSD's alot. This is my final answer:D I would rather install a locker later. I have a Liberty & belong to a forum called LOST which is for the KJ's. Here's a few things to think about with the LSD's.
-You have to service the diff's more often than an open diff. A friction modifier additive has to be added each time, expensive too.
-Eventually, the clutch plates in the diff's have to be replaced. 50,000 miles.
-If you decide you want a different locker, lockers for diff's that came with LSD's cost more than one for an open diff.
These are some things I have heard, I could be wrong, everyone has an opinion. This is my 2 cents.:cool:

They do work good. You just have to make the decision!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts