Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this sounds stupid, but I really hate doing the auto part store tool rental. I prefer to buy tools so I have them for future use.

Does anyone know the OTC part number(s) of a separator to remove the upper and lower ball joints from the knuckle? I plan on doing UCAs and LCAs complete with new bushings and ball joints here very soon.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess what I should ask is - Will the OTC 6297 work for both of these, or do I need to buy the front end service kit?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Alternatively, just use a hammer. If you'll be replacing the ball joints anyway, you don't have to worry about screwing up the threads. The upper ball joint will also usually come loose just by tapping on the knuckle a few times with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So i mistakenly thought press, which works too, but that spreader style you are asking about is by far the easiest separator IMO. Go for it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So this sounds stupid, but I really hate doing the auto part store tool rental. I prefer to buy tools so I have them for future use.

Does anyone know the OTC part number(s) of a separator to remove the upper and lower ball joints from the knuckle? I plan on doing UCAs and LCAs complete with new bushings and ball joints here very soon.

Thanks in advance!

I have a BFH that I use specifically for this purpose, works very well. Just loosen the nut a few turns, and give the steering knuckle a good smack where the ball joint goes through.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, it's called a hammer. Hit the knuckle right where the stem is and the ball joint will pop right out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts