Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The aFe utilizes the "black box" on the 4.7. However, it also uses the lower 1/2 of the stock filter box. The included metal top 1/2 hooks on to the bottom of the stock unit, and there is a metal cap that screws on to this, thus fully enclosing the filter, keeping out the engine bay heat. Since it uses the bottom of the existing filter housing, air come in from the bottom, so you don't have to worry about the filter getting wet. Also, I removed the flap covering the air intake on the radiator support, so I have a ram air! It's very easy to install, and takes about a minute to remove the cover, in order to clean the filter. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Maybe you want an Airaid Jr. It is a hybrid design. You remove the massive box in front of the intake and connect a new smooth tube from the intake to the OEM filter box. A new flat filter goes in the filter box... nice compromise (maybe)? I do not see one for the 4.7, just the Hemi...

I chose the AEM Brute Force. After a week of driving in snow, slush and crap it still looks clean.

Happy CAI shopping!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think its all about personal preference but I went with K&N.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the K&N and I love it, getting rid of the plastic plenum and going directly to the throttle body gives a less restricted airflow directly into the intake... But it's really about personal preference some people like the others because they like having the 4.7L badging on top of the motor...

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The KN filter gives a smooth flow from filter to intake. The hood covers the top, the bottom is open. Air still comes in the front. I think it allows more air flow and water can in, but hasnt so far. And we have been thru some water.

I think that space in front is a waste though. The filter should be located
closer to the fire wall, that would allow more space for a second battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The aFe utilizes the "black box" on the 4.7. However, it also uses the lower 1/2 of the stock filter box. The included metal top 1/2 hooks on to the bottom of the stock unit, and there is a metal cap that screws on to this, thus fully enclosing the filter, keeping out the engine bay heat. Since it uses the bottom of the existing filter housing, air come in from the bottom, so you don't have to worry about the filter getting wet.
THIS.

I don't plan on fording the Ohio anytime soon, but hydrolocking the engine is NOT high on my list of "must try" experiences! aFe for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
THIS.

I don't plan on fording the Ohio anytime soon, but hydrolocking the engine is NOT high on my list of "must try" experiences! aFe for me.
That is not going to reduce your chances of hrydo-lock any more than the stock filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts