Jeep Commander Forum banner

Which engine did you get with your Commander, and are you happy with it?

• Bought the V6 and am happy with it.

Votes: 112 13.4%
  • Bought the V6, but wish I'd bought the 4.7L V8.

Votes: 36 4.3%
  • Bought the V6, but wish I'd bought the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Votes: 25 3.0%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8 and am happy with it.

Votes: 243 29.2%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8 but wish I'd bought the V6.

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8, but wish I'd bought the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Votes: 61 7.3%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 and am happy with it.

Votes: 319 38.3%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 but wish I'd bought the V6.

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 but wish I'd bought the 4.7L V8.

Votes: 6 0.7%
  • Bought the CRD

Votes: 24 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...And do you regret the choice now? What would you choose if you could do it all over again?

I'm very happy with my Hemi. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
got the v6 I am happy with it. getting almost 17 mpg on average. The only thing I dont like is I cant lift the jeep. I think you would need at least the v8 for that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone see a supercharger kit for the 5.7 hemi yet?
:)
I'm happy with my Hemi but more power good, grrrrrr....

·
Registered
8 Posts
got the 3.7 and have no problems with it, had 5 of us big guys in it not too long ago, and it did anything that i really needed it to do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
got a HEMI

loving it!

way i see it, if someone offered me $2.75 to walk 12 miles i'd laugh in their face :D

i'll gladly keep filling up this thirsty beast, she deserves it...and i get 5% back on gas purchases w/ my discover card

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought the 4.7 liter, if the Hemi wasn't packaged with everything else I would have bought it, but I didn't need the limited with Nav, leather, roof ect.. I needed a winter driver so this was my best option, with that said I've been happy with my small V-8.

·
Registered
137 Posts
4.7 is not a small V8 in my opinion. I have the Hemi on my Commander but I have a 4.7 on a Grand Cherokee and it has been a great engine. I have never felt it was underpowered, even in the mountains off-road at Canyonlands NP, Utah. You will continue to be happy with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Alright maybe a poor choice of words, at less than 300 cubic inches it's small in my book, not that it's a dog but it's not a big block either.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Durango that I traded for my Commander had the 4.7 and it was a great motor. Plenty of power but certainly you couldnt call it a speed deamon. Got the hemi in my Commander and it too is a great motor but I did think it would be a little quicker then what it is...maybe it is the MDS doing its thing I dont know. And yes the gas mileage is pretty bad so far and I am not even a lead footed driver. YIKES....

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 5.7 Hemi. Fourth Crysler engine. 1997 360 in truck, 4.0 in Jeep Grnd cher,4.7 2001 Dakota 4x4. 4.7 in 2002 Dodge P/U 4x4. I had a very heavy foot then. I never had any trouble with the engines. I think a V6 is to small for this heavy SUV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
By the Picture you have a Limited 4x4. Nice looks just like mine. I get ~ 16 mpg. For the weight ov the Jeep I don't think that is bad. I have plenty of power. Night and day to my old truck with the 4.7. Don't get me wrong the 4.7 is great. But no mach to 5.7 hemi.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Another Happy HEMI customer here...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I chose the 5.7 hemi 2wd limited. I live in south Louisiana, and it's all flat! And frankly, i'll be damned if I'm gonna take a 38000.00 vehicle muddin!! That's what my dirt bike and four wheeler are for! By the way, I too was expecting a little more oomph, but see this vehicle for what it is 4800-5200 lb. of box. it's actually quite quick for being so heavy. I especially like to stomp it like I stole it at about 60mph.
I then climbs to 80-90 with substantial ease.

·
Registered
24 Posts
donutz said:
got the v6 I am happy with it. getting almost 17 mpg on average. The only thing I dont like is I cant lift the jeep. I think you would need at least the v8 for that.
How are you getting 17 mpg? I just bought mine - a little bit over a month. I am averaging 12.7 mpg according to the electronic gauge. about a 60/40 city/highway driving. Dealer says it should improve, that the engine needs time to settle. ???

1 - 20 of 166 Posts