Jeep Commander Forum banner

Which engine did you get with your Commander, and are you happy with it?

• Bought the V6 and am happy with it.

Votes: 112 13.4%
  • Bought the V6, but wish I'd bought the 4.7L V8.

Votes: 36 4.3%
  • Bought the V6, but wish I'd bought the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Votes: 25 3.0%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8 and am happy with it.

Votes: 244 29.2%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8 but wish I'd bought the V6.

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Bought the 4.7L V8, but wish I'd bought the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Votes: 61 7.3%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 and am happy with it.

Votes: 320 38.3%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 but wish I'd bought the V6.

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Bought the 5.7L HEMI V8 but wish I'd bought the 4.7L V8.

Votes: 6 0.7%
  • Bought the CRD

Votes: 24 2.9%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Got the 5.7L Hemi and very happy with it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 3.7 V-6. Gets it around town just fine, but the V-8 would have been more fun to drive. Plus I kinda wonder how it will do on the e-way with the entire family (wife,3 kids & dog). Just bought it 2 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I started off with the 3.0ltr CRD Diesel, then I discovered the 5.7 HEMI....and no looking back!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anyone see a supercharger kit for the 5.7 hemi yet?
:)
I'm happy with my Hemi but more power good, grrrrrr....
Nope, I've been looking. The only thing I've found is for a dodge truck (not quite the same motor) and it was a s/c kit, 8 grand it'll cost ya.. that doesn't include the tuning for it either.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i did get the v6 and would love to have got'n the 5.7 just for towing . i think for offroading 3.7 will do fine, still i would love to figure out how to get the most out of the 3.7:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
took the kids to San Diego in Sept. i have the 3.7 ( my wife-5'9", my three boys 5'8",6'1",and 5'3" also my baby girl 3'8" thats 6 of us oh ya and three suit cases, a duffle bag ,and a cooler total weight in and on top i would say 1000lbs .... from AZ to CA .some down shifting through the mtn's but other than that i was impressed!

·
Registered
488 Posts
got the 3 litre oil burner in mine.

its back into Jeep hospital for a cold start issue.

as an engineer who makes sure the back up diesel gen sets start 1st time in the cold I know its glow plugs or the glow plug control circuit.

dealer had it for a week said he had fixed it and it still won't start from cold without 10 goes on the glow plugs.

said it was loss of communication between control module and relay and I think theres a protective device/cut out operating as the glow plugs are goosed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
4.7L here. The Hemi would've been nice for the Engine Management System (I think that's what it's called).

·
Super Moderator
14,935 Posts
4.7L here. The Hemi would've been nice for the Engine Management System (I think that's what it's called).
MDS--Multi-Displacement System

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's it! Tanx.

·
Registered
862 Posts
4.7L Semi-Hemi

I’ve been happy with the 4.7 so far. It isn’t the Edge chipped 5.9L Magnum I had in the Durango, but it ain’t gutless either. My Durango topped out at 139 MPH, roof rack and overhead KC lights and all. That was logged on the GPS… the 120 MPH speedometer went so far past the limit as to be unreadable. :eek:rangehat: Then again, the Durango was doing good at 9 MPG in town, and 13 on the road.

As for the 4.7L, I can REALLY get used to seeing this:

I’m rather impressed with the 4.7L ‘’semi-hemi’’ and its engineering. It’s not an old design, nor a rehashed engine. It’s a built little SOB and even has a bedplate crank bearing setup. (‘’girdle’’ in hotrod speak)

Here's a link on how the new 4.7L are designed and built:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/47.html

Of course, for the 'real' hemi, there's never been any substitute for the good ol' Mopar hemi V-8's. I had a radical sandrail years ago. It was a dragster design with a 426 hemi running upswept ''church pipe'' exhaust. Flames would shoot out those pipes when it roared!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Adondo, how on earth do you get 19 MPG? My reading looks the same but it is litres/100KM....Granted, I drive around town all day long and lke to watch the RPM guage hit 3000 before I shift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would have preferred the 4.7, but I got such a terrific deal on my Commander with the 6 that I test-drove it and was satisfied.

Mileage is around 16 or 17 on average and the power is "adequate".

Considering the heated fully adjustable leather, Sirius/Boston stereo, sun-roof package, color matched wheels and a host of other "creature-features", I am a happy camper!

Nayth

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I would have preferred the 4.7, but I got such a terrific deal on my Commander with the 6 that I test-drove it and was satisfied.

Mileage is around 16 or 17 on average and the power is "adequate".

Considering the heated fully adjustable leather, Sirius/Boston stereo, sun-roof package, color matched wheels and a host of other "creature-features", I am a happy camper!

Nayth
We'ld love to see some pics!:stickpoke:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Adondo, how on earth do you get 19 MPG? My reading looks the same but it is litres/100KM....Granted, I drive around town all day long and lke to watch the RPM guage hit 3000 before I shift.
He probably doesn't do that (3000) but I'm sure it is fun. I do it once in awhile just to let a few more horses out of the stable.

41 - 60 of 166 Posts