Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always filled up with regular unleaded. But I saw in the manual that the Commander should have 87 octane. In my area, regular is 85, and mid is 88. Should I bump up to mid? With gas prices dropping, I wouldn't mind doing that if it's going to be better for my car. What do you guys think? Would I even notice a difference?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I've always filled up with regular unleaded. But I saw in the manual that the Commander should have 87 octane. In my area, regular is 85, and mid is 88. Should I bump up to mid? With gas prices dropping, I wouldn't mind doing that if it's going to be better for my car. What do you guys think? Would I even notice a difference?
I think it would be easier for forum members to comment if you mention what engine you have. I have the 5.7 Hemi. 89 octane is recommended for performance but 87 octane is acceptable. I would not want to use 85 in mine.

I'm curious, where are you located?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about octane rating. The ECU will do the needed compensation. Actually it’s a little questionable if in fact the stated octane values are accurate.

If you are pulling a load or operating at high altitude, you may need to go up, but under normal operation, burn the cheapest you can get.

--Spike

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Use regular (85), it'll run just fine, and your wallet will be heavier for it. I use regular out here in CO and don't have any issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts