Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at purchasing a jeep commander. I have found 2 in my town both red and both around the same asking price. The difference: option 1 is 2006 4x4 63,000 miles Limited V8 with DVD and Navigation. option 2 is 2008 v6 4x4 42000 miles pretty basic everything. except it has sweet black/silver wheels. both are in priced about $17,500. Which will give me best bang for my buck? i don't drive all that much, my daily commute is about 8 miles, and i have a 20 mile commute once a week. are either of these a good choice for me?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Some decisions you have to make yourself. For example I test drove 06's with the 37, 47, and 57, and I'd never buy a Commander with the 37, at the same time, a lot of people here already have.

Either way I'd try to talk them down, it's a big gas guzzling non-aerodynamic box, with gas near 4.00 a gallon, they should be happy to move something like that even if it's for less than asking.

·
1,993 Posts
For sure talk that 06 down there asking to much. You will have to decide for your self what you plan on doing with the Jeep. They both have different 4x4 systems in them. Also with a 8 mile drive to work your in the extreme maintenance area there is now way you will make it to operating temperature. If I were you I would ride a bike to work being that close :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you're only going with those 2 options then it doesn't seem like a contest at all. The best one would be the 2006. The Limited V8 with navigation alone would put it 2 or 3k above another 06 without those options. And considering that the mileage isn't too far off it wouldn't make sense to go with the 08. BUT, if you're never going to need navigation or the offroading/towing capabilities of the V8 then you might as well go for the 08 because it's newer and does have less miles.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Don't rush in! Keep looking you will find the one. But I would stick with a v8.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'd go with the 06 with V8 and extra options.. The difference in miles between the two isn't even a factor IMO. Its not like the 06 has 150k and the 08 has 30k...

I have the 3.7L in my wifes Liberty and honestly, it's lacking there. I couldn't imagine having the 3.7L in my Commander. As stated, gas mileage between the V6 and V8 isn't really going to be that much different....

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If I could do it all over again, I would have gone with the V-8. Keep looking, there's always something that will better suit your needs down the road...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just another curiosity, with this being an everyday driver, would i do better finding a 5.7 HEMI? does the cylinder drop help out on gas mileage, how exactly does it work, is it automatic or on demand

·
1,993 Posts
Just another curiosity, with this being an everyday driver, would i do better finding a 5.7 HEMI? does the cylinder drop help out on gas mileage, how exactly does it work, is it automatic or on demand
The cylinder drop is automatic but won't do you any good with a 8 mile commute. All three engines get about the same MPG's believe it or not. The 5.7 costs a little more to maintain then the 4.7 but the 5.7 has more power. The 3.7 barely gets more MPG's then the 4.7 but has less power. The 4.7 is a good middle ground IMO.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you're looking at getting a Commander, but just drive it like any other car, well a 2WD V-6 would fit the bill just fine.

I'm perfectly happy with my 2010 Commander Sport V6 w/ QT1 4WD. Mostly daily commute for the wife, or long trips for the family. Drive in the snow and bad weather, occassional mild off-roading, nothing to serious or mud covering. (the QT1 4WD pays off there).

Towing, get the V8.

Serous Off-Roading, Get QTII or QDII 4WD system, which means a V8, they only made a couple V6 w/ QTII.

The vehicle is too big, heavy, brick like aerodynamics with big wheels and gearing to get good mileage. Even the V6 will be in the 16/20 mpg city/hi-way mileage. The V8 are worse, but only by a couple of mpg. You cruise on the hi-way at 75mph or more, with these Aerodynamics, you'll never get better than 16 or 18 mpg.

Its wrong to say the V6 is underpowered, it has "adequate" get up and go for driving on the street and highway, but yes, you will NOT win any drag races. If you want to tow or do anything requiring lots of power, you need the V8.

I test drove a 2007 Hemi, although it did have lots of power, it wasn't going to beat any sports cars either, the vehicle is just too heavy for that. Its a Commander, your looking at the wrong vehicle if you want to accellerate like a sports car. I guess it comes down to personal preference, from what you told us, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the V6, but if your one that has to have more power, then it has to be one of the V8's.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mongo, The v6 is underpowered, I was unhappy with the v6 in my 05 Liberty Renegade so I cant even imagine that engine in this vehicle. I also have beat plenty of everything racing. Modifications help. This thread isnt about all that though

Forget about the engines, mileage, and options. The 2006s such as mine had a lot of problems that seemed to have been fixed in later years. You can look at other threads to see proof of this. If I did it all over again I would get a Hemi with all the options like I have now however I would look for a 2007 or newer. On the other hand mine with 101,000 has some of the highest miles on the forum and runs like a champ but I put a lot of money into rear diff, transmission, sunroof leak, "service 4wd system and so on. Now its perfect. It also shocked me when I had to change all 16 spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The 3.7 is barely "adequate" in my liberty.... so in my opinion I would say its underpowered for the Commander. I don't race.... but I like my vehicles to get up to speed before I'm forced to merge with 70-75 MPH traffic on the highway. If traffic is moving fast, the liberty struggles with this..... my V8 commander on the other hand is no issue. Passing power too; its just not there with the 3.7 in my liberty.... I could only imagine how bad it is with the 3.7 in the heavier and less aerodynamic commander.

Will it get you from point A to point B? Sure.... but if the option for the 4.7 or 5.7 is there I definitely would sway towards the V8. And that's my opinion.... which BTW is neither correct or incorrect; that's what makes it an "opinion" ;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
And fwiw, back when I was shopping for my commander I had my 6.2L 400hp pickup truck so I just "wanted" a V6 commander for the wife and kids.... I didn't need a powerful truck since I had one already. Well, since we were buying used and it was actually hard to find a V6 at that time, we got a great deal on the Hemi so we got it. This past December we got rid of my truck to eliminate the payment and got the wife the 3.7L liberty...... I can now say with certainty that I am happy we were "forced" to get the hemi when we got the commander. I don't think I would've been happy With the 3.7L at all. $.02

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I would buy the 4.7L Flex Fuel, sport or limited.

I decided against the 3.7 becuase I thought it lacked the power and did not come
with 4low.

I feared the maintenance and cost of the Hemi.

So I got the 4.7 I do not know this for certain, but I was told the Flex Fuel
engine is a higher output motor than the 4.7 non flex.
Anyone care to comment on that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an 06 3.7 loaded with leather and all that.My wife went from upstate NY yesterday to the Jersey shore and she had to get gas in PERTH AMBOY,about 220 miles or so away,give or take 5 miles.Not bad for a rig like this.I find the 3.7 good enough for what we do.No towing no off road just a nice big rig with lots of room when needed and heated seats too!!:) If it's any help,I got mine for 15 grand with 59,000 or so on it about a month and a half ago.This has leather,moonroof upgraded stereo I think,and all the power seats and all that.I actually like that big rig!!!I traded my Caddy I bought at the same time for a small puddle jumper for gas mileage and I kept the Jeep!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a '10 Commander with the 3.7 V6 4WD QT1. Lot's of snow where we live, but I have no plans to take the vehicle off road. It's fantastic in the snow and very stable. I've been very happy with the fuel mileage. 17 mpg in town and 21-22 mpg on the highway. We never drive faster than 65 mph anyway so the V6 is fine. I tow a small trailer that I put a couple of quads on for a total weight of about 2000 lbs. I just don't get in a hurry and don't mind going 45 up hills when I tow. I could go faster but why waste fuel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have the 07 limited (hemi) - i wouldn't go any other way. i rarely drive above 65 so i average 14 in town and 18-22 highway. this hemi has been around for awhile so it's pretty reliable and it has enough power so that it isn't struggling to move the jeep down the road. i would think the v6 would have a bit harder life to do the same job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Option 3 - my other ride - Ducati Monster (mine is '08 696, but I am ogling the '11 796) - it's not a commute, it's an adventure!!! This option can be combined with option 1 or 2 - then you life shall be fully complete and you will be a well-rounded happy man

1 - 18 of 18 Posts