Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my tax money back and cant figure out what lift to get. Im doing it pretty much just for looks and minor off road. I found a 2 inch lift and a 3.5 inch lift for around $300 thatsmy price range. any pros and cons from any one? tips? im runnin black 20's and cant member what size tire. Thanks ahead of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
Most of us on here, if we're lifted, have a 2-2.5" lift. If you get the extra money and can afford the Superlift, that's the way to go. But if you're considering between the 2 or 3.5... go with the 2.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Now if i just do the 2 or 2.5 lift i dont have to do anything witht he shocks right? just put the spacers in and go? how easy is it? get it done in a afternoon? also will the 2.5 level it out more or just lift it and still have the rake to it? Thanks alot guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
JeyDog7 said:
Now if i just do the 2 or 2.5 lift i dont have to do anything witht he shocks right? just put the spacers in and go? how easy is it? get it done in a afternoon? also will the 2.5 level it out more or just lift it and still have the rake to it? Thanks alot guys
in addition to these questions, Does the front spacers used in the lift kits push both the spring and shock together, or only the spring?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,559 Posts
Most of the 2 and 2.5 inch lifts maintain the factory shocks, upgrades are available (I upgraded my rear shocks), most of these lifts put a spacer between the top of the spring and the vehicle.

The RR levels the XK, I do not kow about other brands, Click the link in my signature to see my lifted XK.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,559 Posts
Ahmed said:
in addition to these questions, Does the front spacers used in the lift kits push both the spring and shock together, or only the spring?
Didn't quite follow your question? The spring is not pushed together by the lift, the spaceer goes on top of the spring and extends the shock by the distance of the spacer (less travel for the shock and this is why some are replaced).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,309 Posts
The OME 2 inch lift hands down!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
a49erFan said:
Didn't quite follow your question? The spring is not pushed together by the lift, the spaceer goes on top of the spring and extends the shock by the distance of the spacer (less travel for the shock and this is why some are replaced).
I thought the spacer goes on top of both the spring and the shock!

Is there any lift kit that provide the spacer the goes above both the spring and shock? simply to push the whole system down to lift the body up and maintain the same load on the shock.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,309 Posts
Ahmed said:
I thought the spacer goes on top of both the spring and the shock!

Is there any lift kit that provide the spacer the goes above both the spring and shock? simply to push the whole system down to lift the body up and maintain the same load on the shock.
I believe there are 1 or 2 out there that do that! Each kit uses the spacers differently. I know the 4 inch superlift is similar to what you explained.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
a49erFan said:
The RR levels the XK, I do not kow about other brands, Click the link in my signature to see my lifted XK.
Yea,, it looks leveled.

Have you tried to confirm that its leveled by taking measurements? you might measure how far the side moldings from the ground in both ends.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,559 Posts
Haven't tried to measure it but I can tonight when I get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,788 Posts
With Rusty's and RR, the spacer goes above the struts/spring. This does not affect the movement of the stock strut which is why you do not have the change the struts. On the rear, it is recommended that you do change the shocks since the lift in the back causes the shock to extend. You have a great change of topping out your rear shocks.

I have heard nothing but good things about OME on other forums and local offroad shops. If it was available back when I installed my lift, I would have went with OME.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good. Looks like im gonna be searching for a 2 or 2.5 lift today, any tips on from where? Thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i just bought a 2.5" lift and cant wait for it to get here!! Know i just need to find someone to put it on :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
Well, that was very quick !

Which lift did you buy? and how much did it cost you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
jcoulter said:
I just ordered from rusty's last night. Can't wait till it gets here!!!
How much did it cost you?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,309 Posts
JeyDog7 said:
Well i just bought a 2.5" lift and cant wait for it to get here!! Know i just need to find someone to put it on :)
If you didnt live so far away id put it on for you for free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
07JeepXK said:
If you didnt live so far away id put it on for you for free.
Well thats very nice of you. thanks. i wish i did live closer, lol. And i got it for $230. i didnt think that was bad. oh well im happy.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top