Jeep Commander Forum banner

Which lift should i buy?

4K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  Ahmed 
#1 ·
Got my tax money back and cant figure out what lift to get. Im doing it pretty much just for looks and minor off road. I found a 2 inch lift and a 3.5 inch lift for around $300 thatsmy price range. any pros and cons from any one? tips? im runnin black 20's and cant member what size tire. Thanks ahead of time.

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Now if i just do the 2 or 2.5 lift i dont have to do anything witht he shocks right? just put the spacers in and go? how easy is it? get it done in a afternoon? also will the 2.5 level it out more or just lift it and still have the rake to it? Thanks alot guys

#5 ·
JeyDog7 said:
Now if i just do the 2 or 2.5 lift i dont have to do anything witht he shocks right? just put the spacers in and go? how easy is it? get it done in a afternoon? also will the 2.5 level it out more or just lift it and still have the rake to it? Thanks alot guys
in addition to these questions, Does the front spacers used in the lift kits push both the spring and shock together, or only the spring?

#6 ·
Most of the 2 and 2.5 inch lifts maintain the factory shocks, upgrades are available (I upgraded my rear shocks), most of these lifts put a spacer between the top of the spring and the vehicle.

The RR levels the XK, I do not kow about other brands, Click the link in my signature to see my lifted XK.

#7 ·
Ahmed said:
in addition to these questions, Does the front spacers used in the lift kits push both the spring and shock together, or only the spring?
Didn't quite follow your question? The spring is not pushed together by the lift, the spaceer goes on top of the spring and extends the shock by the distance of the spacer (less travel for the shock and this is why some are replaced).

#8 ·
The OME 2 inch lift hands down!

#9 ·
a49erFan said:
Didn't quite follow your question? The spring is not pushed together by the lift, the spaceer goes on top of the spring and extends the shock by the distance of the spacer (less travel for the shock and this is why some are replaced).
I thought the spacer goes on top of both the spring and the shock!

Is there any lift kit that provide the spacer the goes above both the spring and shock? simply to push the whole system down to lift the body up and maintain the same load on the shock.

#10 ·
Ahmed said:
I thought the spacer goes on top of both the spring and the shock!

Is there any lift kit that provide the spacer the goes above both the spring and shock? simply to push the whole system down to lift the body up and maintain the same load on the shock.
I believe there are 1 or 2 out there that do that! Each kit uses the spacers differently. I know the 4 inch superlift is similar to what you explained.

#11 ·
a49erFan said:
The RR levels the XK, I do not kow about other brands, Click the link in my signature to see my lifted XK.
Yea,, it looks leveled.

Have you tried to confirm that its leveled by taking measurements? you might measure how far the side moldings from the ground in both ends.

#12 ·
Haven't tried to measure it but I can tonight when I get home.

#13 ·
With Rusty's and RR, the spacer goes above the struts/spring. This does not affect the movement of the stock strut which is why you do not have the change the struts. On the rear, it is recommended that you do change the shocks since the lift in the back causes the shock to extend. You have a great change of topping out your rear shocks.

I have heard nothing but good things about OME on other forums and local offroad shops. If it was available back when I installed my lift, I would have went with OME.

#17 ·
Well, that was very quick !

Which lift did you buy? and how much did it cost you?

#18 ·
jcoulter said:
I just ordered from rusty's last night. Can't wait till it gets here!!!
How much did it cost you?

#19 ·
JeyDog7 said:
Well i just bought a 2.5" lift and cant wait for it to get here!! Know i just need to find someone to put it on :)
If you didnt live so far away id put it on for you for free.

#21 ·
JeyDog7 said:
Well thats very nice of you. thanks. i wish i did live closer, lol. And i got it for $230. i didnt think that was bad. oh well im happy.
Which lift did you get?

#23 ·
JeyDog7 said:
I got the RR 2.5 lift
Good luck with getting them in. I'd give them a call in a few days to make sure that they shipped it. They are known for not letting the customer know that it's on backorder and they haven't shipped yet.

#25 ·
Is the Rocky Road Australian or American manufacturer?

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.