Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What scan tools/readers are you guys having success with in clearing DTC codes?

I have an Actron CP9135 that I have used for years to read/clear codes on my '99 XJ. It will power up on the '06 XK but will is not able to link. Tried multiple times.

Does the newer vehicle use a newer protocol (CAN vs. OBD II)?

Do I need a new scan tool?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
You can use the "key dance" and get the codes to display in the instrument cluster. Or Auto Zone will read them for you for free with their scanner.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
for a current model year, including 07, you need a power programer to clear the DTC. However, once the problem is cleared, the DTC clear themselves after 4 or 5 clean cycles.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Same question. What Readers/Programmers have you been successful using on an 08' Commander 5.7 ??
Without plugging any particular brand, since they pretty much all work, I use a Diablosport Intune for my 2006

Dave

·
Banned
277 Posts
A lot of people around here, including myself, have used the Superchips Flashpaq 3875 to view and clear DTCs, change engine/fuel tunes, change tire sizes to calibrate speedo, etc.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use an Actron Pocket Scanner when preparing for smog because it can read the ready codes, but otherwise I use a Superchips Flashpaq 3872 for code reading. In a pinch, the key dance is also helpful for quick diagnostics.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts