Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of some horror stories about the rear after market shocks being too STIFF!

I am going to get either a BDS or RR liift.

Which after market shocks retain the closest to stock ride?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please someone... I want to porder my lift in the next day or two...

Thanks

JIM!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I'm using the Bilsteins, and they give a nice controlled ride. The also don't top-out like the OEM ones do with a lift.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the standard shocks that come with the Superlift kit (not the remote reservoir shocks) and they seem to ride very nice. I have had the lift in for only about a week, though - so this is just my first impression.
MUCH better ride in the rear than the RR lift w/ RR shocks.
-Hemi

·
Registered
577 Posts
milkman - shocks that I am talking about are the "superride", part #88200 for the Jeep XK Commander
-Hemi

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HEMI,

I assume that the lift itself has nothing to do with ride since it is just spacers in the rear correct?

Jim

·
Registered
577 Posts
milkman said:
HEMI,

I assume that the lift itself has nothing to do with ride since it is just spacers in the rear correct?

Jim
Are you referring to the RR or Superlift?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was assuming that both and all kits just have a spacer in the rear?

ON a 2" kit. NOT A 4"

Am I wrong?

I was going to get a RR lift

Jim

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
milkman said:
I was assuming that both and all kits just have a spacer in the rear?

ON a 2" kit. NOT A 4"

Am I wrong?

I was going to get a RR lift

Jim
You are correct. Spacers for the 2" kits. However, you do have to change the shocks in the rear, or else the stock ones will top out. The RR lift gives you the option to order the shocks with or without the kit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DOES ANYBODY HAVE THE P/N FOR THE BILSTEIN SHOCKS?

How have the Superlift shocks been so far?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make='JEEP'&model='Commander'&year='2006'

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
are these the 5100 series shocks or the direct replacement shocks...

thanks

Jim

I also noted that the Superlift shocks are for the 4" kit (88200) According to their website. Are they ok for the RR 2.25 lift? I dont want to oversize either!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
milkman said:
are these the 5100 series shocks or the direct replacement shocks...
It has the application key of HD which means: Recommended shock for most applications, designed to work with the springs that came with your car. The application key for the 5100 series is 5100. So the answer is direct replacement shocks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man I AM frustrated trying to pick shocks!

I ordered the tires today and am getting the RR lift ordered on payday...I need to pick!!!!

Bilsteins only has factory replacements.... Superlift has the for a 4 " kit.....the RR shocks I have heard are too STIFF....

I like the idea of Bilsteins.. but they are factory height only unless they are a little longer than stock shocks......

what to do.......

I dont mean to be picky but this is my DD and I dont want to make a bad choice (i.e. shocks not fitting, etc..). It needs to be the right choice the first time. I dont have another ride while the Commander is down. My TJ is in a million pieces right now..

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I'm thinking about replaces my shocks also. Since the upgrade (tires and rims), the ride is rougher. I'm waiting on some adjustable shocks made specifically for the commander, if they ever make them.

You can always go with the RR shocks for now until you find something later on that will satisfy your needs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cajun

Which shocks do you have so I stay away from them?

Jim

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
milkman said:
Cajun

Which shocks do you have so I stay away from them?

Jim
LOL!! I have stock on the front and the shocks that came with the Rusty's kit on the rear which is about the same as the RR shocks. Since I upgraded the tires, the ride has gotten a little rougher. Now, it's not like I'm bouncing around everywhere in the cab, I'm just comparing it to stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts