• OTHER--please specify, and why

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So eventually I'm going to have to replace the current tires on my commander, and have been trying to figure out what to do.

The current size 255/75/R17 is equal to a 32.5"x10"x17 tire. However in all my online searches I only find a half dozen good off road tires in that size, and they are all on the upper end of price.

Should I go to a true 32 x 12.50 (or 11.50) x R17 tire, or should I swap to a 265/70/R17 which is about 32" but I can find scads of them? I'd like to keep something along the lines of the BFG KM's I have, or the good old Goodyear Wrangler MTR's since I will eventually get to take it off road and for driving in the nasty snow storms we get here in UT.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'd say go with 265/70R17. Almost every mud tire made comes in that size (except swampers).

BTW, my 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar were amazing in the snow!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I voted 265/70/17... Simply because that is the size I am going to buy in the next couple weeks. I really like the look that size adds to the XK.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Goodyear

i went 265 x 70 x 17 and i went with the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrec.
they havd good side lugs for mud and rocks and the center has good syping for HWY and they are extraem winter rated .....sound on freeway is nice i like it but its not so much i cant hear radio.....but if your going to be airing down below 30psi and hit rocks wait boulders i would get the D or E rated , i have C and i aired down to 20 psi went on a 3.5 rated trail and blew two front tires ...i think if i would have kept them at 30psi i would have been fine and like i said they are C rated.

normal HWY driving ware is good at 45psi ....

just my 2 pennies :SM127:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
How exactly did you blow the tires by airing them dowm? My Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar are Load Range C and I air them down to about 16 lbs without any problems. When you say you blew them, did you just blow the bead of the tire off the wheel or were the tires punctured?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
swampers DO come in 265/70/17. i would know. i have it.
Which swapers are you running that come in a 265/70R17. Not that I dont believe you, its just swampers normally dont come in that size. The ones you have are probablly the only ones you can get in a 265/70.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I voted "other", and here's why. I went with 255/65R17 Goodyear Silent Armor. I do not have a lift, and do not plan on getting one. This tire fits with no modification, no rubbing, has an aggressive tread (makes the Jeep look tougher!) and does not throw off the speedometer or average MPG. They are a bit noisier but I can live with that. I'm still thinking about the spidertrax spacers, but have not made up my mind. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any of you guys who changed from stock to 265's, were there any major changes in power or speedometer? I saw the chart but I was wondering what you guys thought. I'm adding a 2" rocky road lift when I need new tires.

To the op, I vote 265's based on looks. I'm in the same boat you are as far as being undecided though. This is a helpful thread. Good info.

·
1,993 Posts
I voted for the 265/70/17 because those are the biggest tires you can get with out going crazy with the sawzall making them fit giving you the most ground clearance. On stock wheels no spacer the 75 hit the knuckle. The 265/70/17 is actually a popular tire size not only giving you more of a choice in selection but a cheaper price as well compared to less popular sizes. The spedo will be off by about 5% I think 3 to 4 MPH.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I had the dealer reprogram for tire size. According to the information he gave me, they can program 2 tires sizes on the Commander: 235/65R17, or 245/65R17. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually went with the 265/70/17 since it was the most easily obtainable tire. However I differed from the run of the mill tire and got TreadWright retreads.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I had the dealer reprogram for tire size. According to the information he gave me, they can program 2 tires sizes on the Commander: 235/65R17, or 245/65R17. :eek:rangehat:
So how did you have the dealer reprogram your Xk if they only reprgram two sizes and neither of them are the size your running. Btw the second one you listed is the stock size.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Still have the stock tires, 51k on them. Expecting another 5 to 10k before replacing them. I will put the rr 2 inch kit with either bfg ko's 245/75 or I would rather put the 235 80's is they will fit. Anyone know?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts