Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my XK is lifted 2" with another 1" in height coming from tires this weekend. I am considering Moapr running boards or the Mopar side tubes...

Who has them? Comments? Critisisms?

Pictures are appreciated too!!!

Thanks!!!

·
2,248 Posts
There are several different options that you can choose from. The three most common are side guards, nerf bars and running boards.

The side guards do not offer much of a surface for stepping on but do offer side protection to the lower portion of the Commander for off road use where the break over point would impact the bottom edge of your Jeep. I had a set of these on my Commander until my wife wanted more of a step to assist in getting in the Jeep.

Here are two pictures of the side guards.

Nerf bars give you more of a step surface for getting into the vehicle. They are not necessarily as strong as the side guards because the nerf bars sit our farther and because of the leverage from the mounting points, they are subject to bending more easily under load or impact. Also since they extend out farther they probaly would be more likely to hit something such as a rock when off road. You can see a slight bend in the forward part of my passenger side nerf bar from landing on a large rock when I got stuck in a wash,

Here are two pictures of my nerf bars:

The factory running boards are designed for assisting passengers into the vehicle and are not suitable for off road use. Hitting anything with these while offroad would probably deform them and ruin the running boards. They are basically steps made from flat stock.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the nerf bars look better. But I wont be doing heavy off-road stuff.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huey: Thanks for the pictures! Your XK looks to be all business and ready for anything.

Everyone:

Although I have added some 4XG pieces, I doubt they will see much more than the urban jungle. Still, I have been known to drive over obsticles - like breaking into my wife's gated work lot by hopping the concrete islands (in my former ZR2 Blazer). I lifted the XK and am adding taller tires to obtain the same clearance.

With the added altitude, my wife would appreciate an easier way to get in and out. The soon to be released 4XG side guards look great and offer the most functional protection for high obsticles, but I think the step is pretty short and up too high to be beneficial.

The Mopar running boards will fit great and make access great - and also keep rock chips from the lower doors.

The Mopar side tubes look great, offer good access but seem to make the XK look lower, or is it just me?

Man, I just can't decide :icon_confused: ...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone with either the Mopar running boards or step tubes tell me how far they are below the bottom of the existing OEM plastic rocker covers???

·
1,993 Posts
Not sure I did this right if you cant see enough let me know I will dig my camera out and take better pictures had to use my phone for these. They in my opinion are not sturdy and hard to clean. If I hit anything with them they will break for sure. They offer a one time use protection LOL you can get a way with one good hit but thats it. But if you don't off road then no worries. It has a tread pattern that makes it really hard to clean. For getting in and out of the jeep they are perfect. Hope this helps but if they did not come with my jeep i wouldn't of put them on.

The pics are good in my album you can go there not sure what i did wrong sorry.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sal:

I think those may be perfect measurements... if I am seeing it correctly, the surface of the running board is about 12" below the lower edge of the side moulding, then the running board is about 1-1/2 inches thick.

Is that about right?

Thanks for the help!

·
1,993 Posts
Sal:

I think those may be perfect measurements... if I am seeing it correctly, the surface of the running board is about 12" below the lower edge of the side moulding, then the running board is about 1-1/2 inches thick.

Is that about right?

Thanks for the help!
Yes thats about right 12" down from the bottom of the trim and about 1" 1/2 thick.

·
2,248 Posts
As long as you are not going to take your Commander Off road the running boards might be the best choice for getting in and out of the Jeep. The other thing that I forgot to mention about the Nerf Bars is that a pet dog or a small child could get thier foot or leg caught in the space between the nerf bar and the Jeep. With the running boards that will not happen. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
not that i'm pimping my products here, but i see sooooooo many people come in with stock running boards or the chrome nerf bars that even jumping a curb will knock them up into the body and leave some damage. if you are going to be doing anything besides smooth asphalt roads, then spend the extra coin on some real protection, it will be cheaper than the insurance deductible in the long run.

the damage below the door is from the stock nerf bars

here's a libby, same problem, side step took out the body panel

·
2,248 Posts
OK Doc,

How about some really strong side protection with enough of a lip that I do not get any lip from Lee about how she cannot use it as a step to get into the Jeep. Maybe about five or more strong attachment points to the frame and enough steel to not bend or deflect into the side of the commander. Show us what you can do.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK Doc,

How about some really strong side protection with enough of a lip that I do not get any lip from Lee about how she cannot use it as a step to get into the Jeep. Maybe about five or more strong attachment points to the frame and enough steel to not bend or deflect into the side of the commander. Show us what you can do.
5 points to the frame is WAYYYY TOO MUCH, two points with a good amount of pre-load against the body is more than sufficient. i've done it on all sorts of vehicles and it hasn't failed yet. i use 3/16" wall square tube with 1.75" x .120" wall round tube for the nerf bars, i guarantee it will hold up.

·
2,248 Posts
How about building the top set shown with the yellow wrangler and add diamond plate to the top similar to the green jeep along the entire length of the bars without extending past the edge. The Lee could step on it without worring about our little dogs slipping thru the opening with thier legs. I am not worried about weight. I carry so much weight around that I had to get bigger coil springs in the back.

·
2,248 Posts
I just showed this thread to Lee. Her question to me is that she like the idea of a combination side guard, nerf bar, diamond plate top, but she also wants to know if you can give her a flip down or slide out step. She is such a "Princess". Actually she does have trouble getting into the Jeep because of an old hip injury. Any Ideas?

How about a spring loaded step that can flip over and down for getting in and then will self stow after you are in the Jeep.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sal:
Thanks for confirming my assumptions. That helps a lot!

Doc:
It would be nice to have real protection and a functional step. The 4XGuard side guards have a bit of a top edge, but I don't know if the step is really wide enough. Maybe taking the 4XG setup and adding a little bit of step would be the ticket - kind of like the green Jeep you posted

Huey:
Your thoughts are great. Oh, how I wish I had the tools and welding experience to fab something up.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I got the Mopar tubs off Ebay for a $100 bucks used. They look nice! But thats it. There is no protection and not much of a step. it is way to close to the body molding you have to step kinda sideways on it. When I get some extra cash I'm gonna get something like Doc's.

you can see how close it is!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
D-nice:

It looks like the bars are bolted to the same braces used for the running boards - thus they are about 1-1/2" below the lowest point of the plastic rocker cover. Is that distance pretty accurate? Man, I am about ready to go back to "Plan A" and get the 4XG side guards...

Hey, what's the plug on the front end of your rocker cover?

Chuck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts