Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading and trying to understand the backspacing and offset articles in the sticky and I'm still lost.. The calculator is great but I'm still unsure how to adjust the backspacing and offsets correctly.. :icon_confused:

Some of the confusion comes from the measurements on the OE wheel. In the sticky, one person says it's 6.5 with 47mm and another says it's 6.0 with 43mm. I don't have the precision tools to measure accurately on my own.

I have the RR 2.25 lift installed along with 1.25 wheel spacers and BFG AT KM 255/75/17's..

I want to ditch the spacers and replace with a new wheel that has the correct backspacing/offset to account for 1.25 space difference. The plan keep my existing tires.

I'm suspecting I would need a wheel with a 14mm offset but I could be way off.. help!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
My guide shows the 06 commander wheel is a 17x7.5 with at +44mm offset. If this is accurate this wheel has a 6" Backspace. With your spacer you have effectively changed the backspace to 4.75".

If you want to ditch the spacers (wise choice) and you want your new wheels to sit in the same position (in reference to the fender) here's what you should look for.

7.5" wide wheel with a 12mm offset
8" wide wheel with a 18mm offset
8.5" wide wheel with a 24mm offset

A 9" wide wheel would be too wide for your current 255/75R17 tires.

Offsets higher than listed above will tuck the wheel and tire assembly in further, offsets lower than above will make the wheel and tire assembly stick out further.

For reference this thread may help explain offsets and backspaces a little better: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13197

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My guide shows the 06 commander wheel is a 17x7.5 with at +44mm offset. If this is accurate this wheel has a 6" Backspace. With your spacer you have effectively changed the backspace to 4.75".

If you want to ditch the spacers (wise choice) and you want your new wheels to sit in the same position (in reference to the fender) here's what you should look for.

You are dead on with that info!

Im glad a tire expert agrees with me that a 9" wide wheel is to wide for a 255mm wide tire.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Offsets higher than listed above will tuck the wheel and tire assembly in further, offsets lower than above will make the wheel and tire assembly stick out further.

For reference this thread may help explain offsets and backspaces a little better: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13197
:bowdown: Discount Tire

Thanks so much for the feedback..

Looks like I'm shopping for the 17x7.5 with 12mm offset...

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think you will have a hard time finding a wheel with those specs in the 5 on 5 bolt pattern.

·
Registered
299 Posts
DTD, hat was a perfect explanation with example. Even gave him options and rational.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Like 07JeepXK said, finding a 17x7.5 +12 will be difficult. I suggest a more common size like 17x8.5 +25. Even size 17x8.5 +18 will work but will poke out of the fenders slightly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The 255/75's must rub badly on the front fender liner. I have tried them on 17 X 8" rims with +30 offset and they rubbed fairly hard on the liner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts