Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......I too am considering a Commander. We have outgrown our 2000 XJ Cherokee after 7 years and now need rear seat headrests. Wife likes the 3rd row flexibility of the Commander but I'm concerned it will not take us (and our rooftop canoe) to the same places our XJ does. It is absolutely stock (Command Trac) w/o so much as a factory skid plate installed, but I'm always amazed at the stream crossings and rock crawling it can do.
If we got the Commander and it didn't measure up to the old Jeep, I would be bummed. Lack of 3rd row seat and less than stellar crash test results have pulled the Grand Cherokee out of the running.
Anyone ever use their Commander in the rough? Thanks, -Steve

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, if you selected the OVERLAND model you would have limited slip lockers front and rear as well as the QUADRADRIVE transfer case which is in effect a sort of third limited slip locker. I dont think your cherokee could compete with that. The PROBLEM IMHO would be the clearance. With stock tires I doubt you would want to make a stream crossing greater then 18" deep or so. Incidentally the Overland comes with skid plates all around. john

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts
John said:
Well, if you selected the OVERLAND model you would have limited slip lockers front and rear as well as the QUADRADRIVE transfer case which is in effect a sort of third limited slip locker.
Also available on the Limited.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, ground clerance (to me) to be the weak link. I had wondered if a mild 1" lift would fix that. At least to get it up to par with my XJ. I've seen a few online that had 2" lifts, but didn't care for the way they looked. -SF

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
sanjosesteve said:
I had wondered if a mild 1" lift would fix that. At least to get it up to par with my XJ. I've seen a few online that had 2" lifts, but didn't care for the way they looked. -SF
IMHO I really don't think a 1" lift would do anything significant for you but empty your wallet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The WH/XH Quadradrive II will beat the XJ any day in pulling out of the slippery stuff (I have both) - clearance & articulation are the issues. Go the LSDs and a 2" spring/shock lift (OME due "soon", Dobinsons & Kings springs are here as are the Bilstein shocks), fill the hole with 245x70/17 to solve the "look" and get an extra half inch clearance for diffs etc (and still avoid the strut bolt that needs cutting if you go bigger). However, there's more to break in the new ones which is why I kep the XJ for the very rugged offroad work, after all it's basically worthless anyway.

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts
Bomber said:
The WH/XH Quadradrive II will beat...
For those who don't know, WH and XH are the designations for the export models of the Grand Cherokee and Commander respectively.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I've taken my Commander out wherever I've felt like it with no issue. Pics are in the pic section. I've crossed streams and climbed to the top of the mountains without problem. I would recommend a lift (2"?) and tires and then you'd be set. My wife loves the Commander and the kids fight over the 3rd row. I've never had a Cherokee so I can't give a comparison between the two - so take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
65 Posts
jeep5253 said:
For those who don't know, WH and XH are the designations for the export models of the Grand Cherokee and Commander respectively.
Whoops, thanks... I usually remember to translate for you foreigners :rolleyes: .

Did you know we Aussies are the biggest market of for Jeeps outside the US (and I seem to recall the highest population of Jeeps per head in the world!)?

Anyway, go the Commander and lift it. You won't know yourself. I drove the XJ last night for the 1st time in a few weeks and man is it terrifying after the stability of the XH on the freeway at 100km/h (62mph for you guys). The XH is my third Jeep in 3 years. Had the WG diesel (export WJ Grand Cherokee) first, it had the "original" Quadradrive (viscous LSD rather than the traditional clutch plate or modern electronic) and it was good but the QDII beats it hands down. I have seen a stock Commander "walk" up a slope a JK Rubicon couldn't make it up on a wet day. Somehow (perhaps it's the extra weight??) the traction control systems seem to work better on the Commander even than on the Grand Cherokee (we have both in the club and it's interesting to compare them).

I bought the XJ cos I kept breaking the WG (front diff among other things) and then swapped the WG (when the lease was up) for the XH without a moment's hesitation. Only reason I'm lifting it is coz I learnt the hard way not lifting the WG (and because I want to cross the Simpson Desert next year and with 700kms of sand dunes you can never get enough clearance!).

Go the 3.0 CRD too - it's an absolutely awesome motor.

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts
Bomber said:
Go the 3.0 CRD too - it's an absolutely awesome motor.
Sadly, we don't get the option of the diesel here in the U.S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So will a 2" lift (Or any lift for that manner) void the warranty? Now they offer a "lifetime warranty" on the powertrain. Would not want to see that comprimised by performing a lift.
The supply of 07's is a little thin around here. I wonder if the 08's will have a lift as part of their Quadra Drive II package. Am looking forward for some to start showing up.
Thanks for the responses....... -SF

2005 Ford Five Hundred
2000 Jeep XJ
1972 Fiat 124 Sider
1971 BMW 1600
1959 GMC Stepside

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
sanjosesteve said:
So will a 2" lift (Or any lift for that manner) void the warranty? Now they offer a "lifetime warranty" on the powertrain. Would not want to see that comprimised by performing a lift.
The supply of 07's is a little thin around here. I wonder if the 08's will have a lift as part of their Quadra Drive II package. Am looking forward for some to start showing up.
Usually if you have it delivered from the dealer with the lift (some dealers will, some dealers won't) it is sold with a full warranty.

2008's don't have any additional lift as far as I know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Sadly, we don't get the option of the diesel here in the U.S.
That's crazy. I figured since it was available in the Grand now it could be had in the Commander as well. What idiot in the marketing department made that decision? After all if the drive train will sell under one shell why not the other.

90% of Commanders sold here are the CRD and the GC has similar figures, they can't give the V8s away just about, especially the 4.7.

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts
Bomber said:
What idiot in the marketing department made that decision?
Exactly ! ! !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts