Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I quiet them? Is there something I can spray on the pulleys or the belts, themselves?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
How do I quiet them? Is there something I can spray on the pulleys or the belts, themselves?
Yes, there is a spay that you can pick up at any auto parts store that will lube the belts. this will quite them as well as extend their life.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, there is a spay that you can pick up at any auto parts store that will lube the belts. this will quite them as well as extend their life.
Thanks very much. What about the pulleys themselves? Can I use WD-40 with the straw, etc.?

·
Registered
158 Posts
You shouldn't use belt dressing on Serpintine belts. Besides, the stuff makes a sticky mess. Did you replace any of your belts recently? Spend the money and buy a new belt, if you haven't replaced it recently.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Youshouldn't use belt dressing on Serpintine belts. Besides, the stuff makes a sticky mess. Did you replace any of your belts recently? Spend the money and buy a new belt, if you haven't replaced it recently.
I just purchased the vehicle with 27.5K on it. They aren't crazy loud (the belts)...only detectable when I have the hood open, etc. You know how we are with our toys when we first get them, lol.

·
Registered
707 Posts
How hard it it to replace the belt. I would like to do it myself when it is time. I bet the dealership will charge at least $100.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Their usually not hard to do. You may need a breaker bar to unload the belt tensioner. Their is usually a decal under the hood showing the routing of the belt around the pulleys.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was reading a thread last night....and I lost it, lol. Does anyone know the link to the thread where a couple people had removed the factory snorkel from the Commander because it was so restrictive? They were also talking about disconnecting the pos. cable from the battery for 30 min or so and turning the key to the on position for a minute to reset the computer....something about setting new shiftpoints, etc. for better milage. Anyway, I lost the thread, lol. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
WD-40 would NOT be the right tool for this job, but I do agree that a belt replacement would be best if you can do it and it is a job you should be able to do yourself.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WD-40 would NOT be the right tool for this job, but I do agree that a belt replacement would be best if you can do it and it is a job you should be able to do yourself.

Thanks. I'm probably just a bit over concerned....and will wait a bit before I cahnge them. At what milage do they usually recommend changing the belts?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just remember that baffle on the snorkel is their for a reason. To prevent a large volume of water being sucked into the intake and hydrolicing your motor.

As far as belt chang intervals, a good rule is about 3yrs, or signs of visible cracking. Serpitine belts are under about 80 Ft. lbs. of load, so their is alot of tension on them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just remember that baffle on the snorkel is their for a reason. To prevent a large volume of water being sucked into the intake and hydrolicing your motor.
A few of the guys said they've had no negative issues with water getting in, etc., even doing 4 wheeling. I don't do anything offroad much other than some creeping around on dirt roads with a few small rocks, tree roots, etc.(we will be moving to Vegas soon....Red Rock, etc. etc.) ...so I don't think it will be a problem. I'll keep it in the truck with me, in case I get brave one day, haha.

I wish I could think of a way to attatch some sort of screen or wire mesh to the "hole", so no big stuff like leaves or whatever cold get in, while NOT restricting an airflow that I created BY removing the snorkel.... hmmmmm.....any ideas? How could I do that "neatly"?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts