Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4WD 3.7L
The noise starts at about 55mph and is worse under bigger loads. in neutral and coasting, no noise. Vehicle has 145,000 miles. My guess is the front differential/driveline but I'm not sure where to even begin looking for issues. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Is it a whining or howling noise? Maybe a wheel bearing. Does it get louder when your at at speed and turn the steering wheel left and right?

·
Registered
104 Posts
You say the noise is silent when in neutral or coasting.

Are you putting it in neutral and coasting at 55+?

If so, what is the 4WD setup you have? Command Trac, Quadra Trac, Quadra Drive?

Is there any noticeable loss of power?

We need TONS more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the front diff oil with royal purple 75-W140. No metal shards, just dirty oil. And yes I did put it in neutral at 55+ mph and no noise. And now that you mention it, it is more of a howling noise. I just drove it on a long trip and it makes the noise from 55 to 65 mph. No matter where the RPM is at it's making the noise at that speed. 70 to 80 mph, it runs like new (especially after the front diff oil change). Transmission? Transfer Case? I like to be my own mechanic so unless its the tranny I can fix it. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It finally threw codes! P0700 (Transmission Control Module) and U0404 (Gear Shift Module).
Any idea how much these repairs might cost?
How difficult this would be to repair myself?

·
Registered
556 Posts
The first code thrown is the one needing addressed. The second code is probably a result of the first. The TCM is an expensive module that when replaced, needs to be flashed, or programmed... i'd call around and find a local shop that can do the repair AND have it flashed...although you may be stuck going to a dealership. Theres a thread in here, with pics, on how to remove the shifter assembly and cleaning the contacts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts