Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2007 Commander has a whirring noise in the front. It makes this noise when going straight and when I turn left. But when I turn right - it goes away & it's nice & quiet!

At first, I thought it was just tire noise, so we rotated the tires. But that made no difference.

So then we put in a new CV joint, and that didn't help either! The old CV joint looked fine once we got it out, but we put the new one in anyway.

Any suggestions? Should I just drive it until it gets worse? I hate to just throw parts at it. :confused:

It's got 105k miles on it and I don't have any warning lights or service soon lights going off.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had a similar problem, but there was more of a humming, vibration coming from the front end. Pinpointed it to the drivers side. The noise became louder as a steered to the right traveling at around 40mph and faster. I found the fix in here. It was the drivers side hub and wheel bearing. Found the part at partstrain.com. It comes with the wheel speed sensor. The repair took a couple hrs., and the Problem was solved. I can give you more details on the repair if necessary.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Check the front axle fluid level and condition, its possible its the axle and maybe just fresh fluid or bringing the fluid up to normal level will fix it. (NOT as likely as the wheel bearing, rhobll suggested, but its an easy fix, so its worth checking).

Another quick check, that is a cheaper fix, the brake pads. The wear strip will make noise when the pads wear down far enough it touches the rotors, to warn you the pads are worn out. You'd think they would squeel or make loud noises, but every time I have had it happen on other cars I have owned, it made more of a light, barely able to hear, grinding noise. And it got worse in turns, best I can guess, the turns shifting the hub ever so slightly to make the rub strip rub a little harder.

I agree with rhobll, it sounds like a wheel bearing, a.k.a. hub bearing. When your turning, it adds a side load on the wheel bearing, one direction pushes the worn bearings closer together and takes up the slack and open space which makes them quite down, going the other direction pushes the side load the opposite direction and pulls those bearings farther apart and opens the slack even more to create more noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, it was the wheel/hub bearing. We replaced it & everything is okay now.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yep, it was the wheel/hub bearing. We replaced it & everything is okay now.
Hopefully you put the Timken hub in. It was slightly more than the rest, had all great reviews and made here in the US.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts