Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Commander 2006 3.7
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I have a serious issue with noise in my Jeep Commander 2006. When I'm driving above 120kmh its starting whistling.

Sound noise starts from 00:10

Do you know what caused that ? Any tips.

Thanks in advance.

/Edited: my car ver. Jeep Commander 2006 3.7 Gasoline Automatic

Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
167 Posts
Hi guys,
I have a serious issue with noise in my Jeep Commander 2006. When I'm driving above 120kmh its starting whistling.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Peter
If you have the factory roof rack cross bars, try removing them and see if it stops.
Another source could be a loose seal on the top of the windshield

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,008 Posts
@Peter f3st
Welcome to the forum. Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To make or modify a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

·
Registered
Jeep Commander 2006 3.7
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have the factory roof rack cross bars, try removing them and see if it stops.
Another source could be a loose seal on the top of the windshield
Thanks for reply.
The source of sound looks like form the end of front dash and windshield. Is possible that roof rack causing that?

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
167 Posts
Thanks for reply.
The source of sound looks like form the end of front dash and windshield. Is possible that roof rack causing that?
It can. There are other threads on here that discuss the proper positioning of the cross bars.
The bars have a front and rear, backwards, they creat a lot of wind noise. Also, should be in position #1 and #4.
Jeep has a tech bulletin about it. Also one about the noise coming from the front glass at speeds above 50 mph.
I don't have the cross bars, so it didn't affect me. If you do, take them off and test drive. If the noise goes away, you found the culprit, if not, at least you've eliminated one possibility.

·
Registered
Jeep Commander 2006 3.7
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It can. There are other threads on here that discuss the proper positioning of the cross bars.
The bars have a front and rear, backwards, they creat a lot of wind noise. Also, should be in position #1 and #4.
Jeep has a tech bulletin about it. Also one about the noise coming from the front glass at speeds above 50 mph.
I don't have the cross bars, so it didn't affect me. If you do, take them off and test drive. If the noise goes away, you found the culprit, if not, at least you've eliminated one possibility.
Thanks. I will check that with my mechanic.

RR-06-027 deals with a windshield header buzz (ive attached if someone will looking for it).

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Thanks for reply.
@Peter f3st ;

From your description, to me, it sounds like you may need to replace your front cowl panel & front window seal;

Take a look at the thread below;

Replacing the Front Cowl Panel and front window seal. | Jeep Commander Forum

I would take a look at your front cowl panel & in particular, your front window seal and see what kind of shape it's in;

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
167 Posts
@Peter f3st ;

From your description, to me, it sounds like you may need to replace your front cowl panel & front window seal;

Take a look at the thread below;

Replacing the Front Cowl Panel and front window seal. | Jeep Commander Forum

I would take a look at your front cowl panel & in particular, your front window seal and see what kind of shape it's in;
Good luck finding one, I've been trying to get one for the last three months.
None available in North America, backorder from factory, unknown if anymore will be made.
All I could find were boneyard ones worse than mine.
But if you do find one, let me know where. Maybe they have another.

·
Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 127,000 miles
21 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

/Edited: my car ver. Jeep Commander 2006 3.7 Gasoline Automatic

Cheers,
Peter
Looking at the photo of your Jeep, I see multiple holes, openings on your front bumper. I would start there by closing them up.

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I had this noise 15 years ago. The top seal on my windshield was not sealed.. Also if you have the roof bars and they were not properly placed, as was mentioned, can cause a whistling.

·
Registered
2007 Commander Limited Hemi 2wd
36 Posts
I had my windshield replaced. When driving at high speeds, I too would get a whistling noise.

Went back to shop that performed the job and these guys added a seal on the top of the glass that covers the previous empty channel.
I also know that this plastic trim was not from factory as it was not there before.
Anyhow it foxed the whistling problem.

on another note, the fan blower motor located under the dashboard was going out and it sounded similar to your video.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts