Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I just installed the cross bars on my Commander and at around 75-80 mph with a crosswind on the road, I hear whistling. I kinda heard them before I stuck the cross bars on, but now it's more pronounced. The bars are not inverted. and I followed the arrows. Anyone else experiencing this? What to do?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
There are specific spots they should be in when not carrying a load. It can't remermber exactly now. I know if is covered in owner's manual. They also are front and rear specific which is marked on X-bar

·
Registered
64 Posts
This was covered in another thread, but it is the seal at the top of the windshield. There is a bulletin on it and the dealership will be able to fix it for you. We thought it was the crossbars on the roof rack also, but it still did it when we removed them. We had the windshield resealed and the noise is gone, even at 100 mph.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Southsidegirl... there are plenty of wind noises on the commander. Windshield, door rubber/weather molds, whippers, etc. Regarding the cross bars, make sure they were installed in the right direction or they will produce excesive wind noise. Check the arrows direction.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got my Commander about 3 weeks ago and my owner's manual came with a little insert, regarding the placement of the cross bars, I believe it is a correction to what is in the manual.

I have not heard any noises with my Commander, I am however enjoying the great stereo system that came with it. ;)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Deputycoz said:
I got my Commander about 3 weeks ago and my owner's manual came with a little insert, regarding the placement of the cross bars, I believe it is a correction to what is in the manual.

I have not heard any noises with my Commander, I am however enjoying the great stereo system that came with it. ;)

Are they now recommending different locations than what is in the OM, or is this the quick reference list that you are referencing?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Dabitz said:
there are plenty of wind noises on the commander. Windshield, door rubber/weather molds, whippers, etc.
Compared to my Cherokee, my Commander is deathly quiet. I only really hear wind noise when there is a strong crosswind (which I would expect in any vehicle) or when I have the sunroof or windows open. Other than that there appears to be no real wind noise. The SilentArmor tires I am running are very quiet. The engine is very quiet until you put your foot into it and then all of her Hemi horses come to life and raise quite a ruckus. The stereo is quite nice too... perhaps could use a little more range on the low end but it still sounds incredible for a factory system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Creek said:
Are they now recommending different locations than what is in the OM, or is this the quick reference list that you are referencing?
I will let you know when I get back from lunch, I will check, but I am pretty sure there was an extra thing in my OM packet about placement of the cross bars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dabitz,

I didn't have any wind noise with the crossbars that I am aware of, but I just haven't had the time to put them back on yet for a new test. My problem was only the windshield. I drove my Commander about 500 miles last weekend, and had no wind noise and I was going between 85 and 95 most of the way. It was very quiet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My OM recommends that they be placed in detent #2 and #7, found this on page 170.

I also received a yellow card that is a "OWNER'S MANUAL ADDENDUM", it states that this addendum updates information abou Roof Luggage Rack in Section 3 of your owner's manual. The addendum recommends detent positions #1 and #4, make sure the longer rail is towards the front.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The #1 and #4 positions are needed if you have the nav/sirius system. If you move the rear crossbar back further than position #4, you block the antenna.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Southsidegirl said:
The #1 and #4 positions are needed if you have the nav/sirius system. If you move the rear crossbar back further than position #4, you block the antenna.
I don't have the nav. or sirus system... So I'm Wrong?

·
Registered
64 Posts
bravo2376,

I don't have any idea if it would make a difference without the antenna issue. I just was instructed not to go beyond #4 due to the antenna placement. I checked and the rear crossbar would indeed block the antenna if it were placed further back.

Never meant to imply right or wrong, just sharing information that I was given.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts