Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I know there have been multiple "white smoke" threads but none seem to have helped me out. I'm hoping someone could pass on some knowledge.

I've got a 2006 with the 5.7 and I'm just under 180,000 miles. The smoke seems to be more pronounced on short drives, like to the gas station and to the grocery store after a cold start. It is white and smells mostly like oil with a slight hint of rubber. I've taken the engine cover off and checked the heat return pipes and the clamps and hoses at the back of the engine, they seem to be in good shape with no hoses touching hot parts and no leaks.

I had a coolant leak the last few weeks from a failing water pump gasket. I was thinking that smoke was coming from the coolant working its way back from driving and dripping onto the cat, but after the gasket and pump change I haven't lost an ounce of fluid. I replaced the plugs after I bought it and outside of being old, the plugs weren't wet with oil or burnt up.

My oil level seems to have stayed steady. I've been checking it after I get to the office about twice a week.

There might be no other way but to get it to the dealer, just thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
Hey guys. I know there have been multiple "white smoke" threads but none seem to have helped me out. I'm hoping someone could pass on some knowledge.

I've got a 2006 with the 5.7 and I'm just under 180,000 miles. The smoke seems to be more pronounced on short drives, like to the gas station and to the grocery store after a cold start. It is white and smells mostly like oil with a slight hint of rubber. I've taken the engine cover off and checked the heat return pipes and the clamps and hoses at the back of the engine, they seem to be in good shape with no hoses touching hot parts and no leaks.

I had a coolant leak the last few weeks from a failing water pump gasket. I was thinking that smoke was coming from the coolant working its way back from driving and dripping onto the cat, but after the gasket and pump change I haven't lost an ounce of fluid. I replaced the plugs after I bought it and outside of being old, the plugs weren't wet with oil or burnt up.

My oil level seems to have stayed steady. I've been checking it after I get to the office about twice a week.

There might be no other way but to get it to the dealer, just thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks!
Read this article--->What Does the Smoke from My Exhaust Mean?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read through the article before posting and do know about exhaust smoke colors, I've just never has smoke in the engine bay.

Would an oil leak somewhere on the back of the engine cause this? I know coolant is white, but it doesn't quite smell like coolant.

I know it's a long shot, just thought I would ask.

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
I've read through the article before posting and do know about exhaust smoke colors, I've just never has smoke in the engine bay.

Would an oil leak somewhere on the back of the engine cause this? I know coolant is white, but it doesn't quite smell like coolant.

I know it's a long shot, just thought I would ask.
You didn't say the smoke was in the engine bay. And you titled the thread "White smoke from BACK of 5.7."

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lol, he quite literally meant from the back of the 5.7. Fire it up with the cover off and watch for the smoke.

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like an oil leak at the back of the valve cover gasket (or head gasket) which is then dripping onto the exhaust manifold or exhaust itself. I’m assuming passenger side. I had this happen after replacing a lifter. Took some troubleshooting to find because it was such a small leak. The shop admitted to reusing the old gasket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ben! I appreciate your help. Being a new to me Commander I'm finding the issues with it that I'm sure the previous owner knew about. The next free weekend I get it'll be gasket replacements!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a lot of engine cleaning and checking for leaks it looks like it's both of the valve cover gaskets. This week I have noticed it getting much worse so in the next week I'm going to dive in and replace both of the gaskets. I've heard the aftermarket gaskets are hit or miss so I'm going to stick with MOPAR for this job. While I'm in there what else should I be looking for and/or replacing? I've already replaced the plugs about a month back, all of them looked great outside of normal wear.

thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts