Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a few Michigan folks by looking around but some have not posted in a while.

Is there a way to list members by location?

Anyway, we have a few good places to off-road and many good places to camp etc in Michigan...for example the Silver Lake Dunes on Lake Michigan...and plenty of snow typically. Thanks.

GP in Flushing, Michigan (near Flint)

P.S. Let me know if this should be posted elsewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GP,

I'm in Oxford (N. Oakland Co.), on the west side of the town(ship). Driving an '07 3.7L Sport, but looking to pick up an '09 4.7L Sport U pkg w/class IV hitch when my lease term is up next October. Got a sneaking feeling that there will be some great deals next year - hard to imagine that I'll beat my current one but...

Just to add that I don't work for an OEM, so maybe will be OK by then.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GP,

I'm in Oxford (N. Oakland Co.), on the west side of the town(ship). Driving an '07 3.7L Sport, but looking to pick up an '09 4.7L Sport U pkg w/class IV hitch when my lease term is up next October. Got a sneaking feeling that there will be some great deals next year - hard to imagine that I'll beat my current one but...

Just to add that I don't work for an OEM, so maybe will be OK by then.
Cool RailFan.:cheers: I've got an 07 5.7L and love it. I hope to keep it for a long time. I just posted some pics on the Off Topic ... Matching Face to Name.

GP aka Jerry

·
Registered
64 Posts
GP,

I am in Commerce Twp/Walled Lake, about 35 mins from Detroit

Currently have a '07 Sport 4.7L S pkg., unsure what i will do w/ it at lease end (next summer). Like railfan said, there probably will be good deals towards the end of the model year

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am here in Swartz Creek. Have a '08 3.7 Rocky Mountain that is basically the family/wive's vehicle. Don't do much off-roading, just the trails up north to get to fishing/hunting spots.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for introducing yourselves Wns808 and SCJeep. Nice to "meet" you. :)

I don't plan on doing much offroading either. I just want to keep going in the snow...but I would like to try Silver Lake dunes sometime. I saw a post from a Michigan guy who did the dunes there with his Commander but he hasn't posted since last July. My wife is a retired school teacher...taught at Swartz Creek.

Maybe someday my wife and I will take a trip out west and we can try some mild rock climbing or backroads.

GP...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Playing in the snow and ice

Got an 208 Limited with 5.7 Hemi and QD-2. Absolutely love it--has not been back to dealer except for oil changes
Have had a riot in snowy roads that we have had. Works much better than my 1997 Wrangler. Live in Chesaning, Mi and have 20 mile back road commute to work three times a week. Usually are on roads before salt trucks and plows get going. Get 18 mpg on regular Love the commander:)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got an 208 Limited with 5.7 Hemi and QD-2. Absolutely love it--has not been back to dealer except for oil changes
Have had a riot in snowy roads that we have had. Works much better than my 1997 Wrangler. Live in Chesaning, Mi and have 20 mile back road commute to work three times a week. Usually are on roads before salt trucks and plows get going. Get 18 mpg on regular Love the commander:)
Yah, gotta love it. I'm not far from Chesaning. I'm south of M57 about 4 miles a mile east of Montrose.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am from Shelby Township (Macomb County), I drive an "06 5.7 HEMI with QDII. I love it! I went to Silver Lake sand dunes with my XK and had no problem going where the wranglers go. Maybe we can set a trip to Mt. Morris (The Mounds offroad) in Davison before the year ends.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am from Shelby Township (Macomb County), I drive an "06 5.7 HEMI with QDII. I love it! I went to Silver Lake sand dunes with my XK and had no problem going where the wranglers go. Maybe we can set a trip to Mt. Morris (The Mounds offroad) in Davison before the year ends.
HI Drako... did I see some pics of you on the dunes? The Mt. Morris Mounds sound good to me. I only just recently heard of it and have not been there. I'm still stock...is it outrageous or can we handle it? Planning on some upgrades but won't be all on for a few weeks.

How 'bout you other Michiganders? Want to do The Mounds?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi also to all fellow Mitten denizens. My wife's sister and her husband were up at the Mounds a few weeks ago. They first drove her H2 there months earlier, and he had so much fun he bought a "pimped" CJ lifted and with the huge tires for sand and mud. They had a ball on the littl' Jeep, but she slammed her face into the steering column after getting some air and needed about a dozen stitches to close the wound, besides a broken snoz. She understood after that landing why a five-point harness is so important. :rolleyes:

Me, I'm not really into the serious off-road (ORV) thing. I leased my current XK for the space, high-stance and foul-weather ability. My next one (hopefully, if I can stay working - not easy these days) I'll add towing to the mix. Loads of cruddy dirt and gravel back roads around here, and those that are paved could almost qualify as unimproved, considering the poor condition of the asphalt and concrete. ;) Anyway, really what drives me to keep a truck – durability – even when MPG is factored in.

Next time, however, I'm done leasing. I plan on a long-term purchase arrangement with a new '09 XK and driving it until it has a date with the scrapper, which I hope will be many, many years down the road. Hopefully C-company can stay away from Ch. 7 so signing that note won’t be taking such a risk.

·
Registered
391 Posts
HI Drako... did I see some pics of you on the dunes? The Mt. Morris Mounds sound good to me. I only just recently heard of it and have not been there. I'm still stock...is it outrageous or can we handle it? Planning on some upgrades but won't be all on for a few weeks.

How 'bout you other Michiganders? Want to do The Mounds?

My commander is also stock. The pictures i posted was taken on the dunes (Silver Lakes). I am planning of modifying my XK but I am still negotiating with the "boss". I think we can handle it stock. We just need to bring some tow straps just to be sure. If you know somebody that has been there, maybe we can hook up with them that would be better.
Other Michiganders come on lets go before it will snow hard.

·
2,248 Posts
Several years ago I did Silver Lakes, or rather the dunes just north of Silver Lakes on the shore of Lake Michigan. I had my TJ along with me. I remember that we had to get flags on the end of long rods and attach them to the bumper so people could see us better. I was headed up that really big crest with enough speed to get over it. I suddenly had this vision of going end over end on the other side because it was so steep. I let off the gas and ended up high centered on the dune. It took awhile to dig out and back down. The next time I hit it and cleared the top and caught air on the way down. I guess that this is the same place that you are referring to.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Several years ago I did Silver Lakes, or rather the dunes just north of Silver Lakes on the shore of Lake Michigan. I had my TJ along with me. I remember that we had to get flags on the end of long rods and attach them to the bumper so people could see us better. I was headed up that really big crest with enough speed to get over it. I suddenly had this vision of going end over end on the other side because it was so steep. I let off the gas and ended up high centered on the dune. It took awhile to dig out and back down. The next time I hit it and cleared the top and caught air on the way down. I guess that this is the same place that you are referring to.

Yup! Some of the spot there are very steep, and yes you have to have those orange flags. Silver lakes is one of my favorite spots here in Michigan. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in Waterford MI.
Wife and I had a YJ and two TJs at one time. We've been to several Camp Jeep events when it was still in Vail CO.
I traded my 99 Rubicon for the Commander in '07.
Primarily for space hauling grandchildren now.
LTD/Khaki/Hemi/QDII. The QDII is awesome in Michigan this time of year.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, that's the place. I guess you had the anti-gravity generator fired up the second time. But there is also another off-road place near Flint that we are trying to get our nerve up for, called The Mounds. I have no idea yet what the Mounds is like but hope to know soon.

Alright, guys, I'm game for the Mounds. Who else and when?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm in Waterford MI.
Wife and I had a YJ and two TJs at one time. We've been to several Camp Jeep events when it was still in Vail CO.
I traded my 99 Rubicon for the Commander in '07.
Primarily for space hauling grandchildren now.
LTD/Khaki/Hemi/QDII. The QDII is awesome in Michigan this time of year.

Hi Mat,
I think we all have the same trim, limited with QDII. Maybe we can get together to the Mounds before the big snowfalls. Try to search youtube about videos of the mounds, looks interesting.
Who else?

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a little bit of offroading!?:elephant::elephant:
Dear Dancing Pink Elephants,

I haven't seen you in awhile... just kidding.

Anyway, I want to do a little bit of offroading, I don't want to get air, I don't want to slide over rocks, but I would like to try the Mounds sometime in the near future and Silver Lake Dunes next summer. I should be receiving my 2 inch lift soon as well as my wheel spacers. Both have shipped. Then, new bigger tires. Then, I'm game. Probably be a couple of weeks off.

If my tires had better tread I would try it stock, gently.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts