Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of searching and a lot of people ask the question if it will work but how many people with 2" lift are running 17x9 wheels with approx 4.5 backspacing and 265/70's? Mine just came in, finally, and wondering what had to be done to make them fit. I still have 3 weeks of deployment before I get to see my jeep but at least the work will be done when i get home! pics soon

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
They will definately work. Your just going to have to do a lot of trimming so they dont rub.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have 17x9 w/ 4.5 backspacing and 265/70's. I have trimmed the plastic fender liner and bent the pinch weld. I still have problems with the tires rubbing the front of the plastic fender well when at 85-95 full turn to either side. This could be due to worn struts (they seem kinda spongy). I will be replacing the struts soon and adding robbys 1/4 inch strut spacer on top of the lift. I believe this will eliminate the rubbing issue.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'm running the same rig and there is very little rubbing, so little that I'm not worried about having to trim.
So your running 17x9's with 265/70's on a spacer lift and have very little rubbing without trimming anything. Thats very hard to believe. Especially since im running that same tire size and my tires don't stick out nearly as far as that setup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i'm running that set up with 265/65 and they rub. i would think 265/70 would rub. check out the thread New Here? Read this Thread for FAQ's on Tires, Lifts and Spacers!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mechanic just got back to me and said the rubbing is so much he doesnt want to put my rims and tires on! Is it that bad? What are my other tire choices and sizes on wheel that is 9" wide? I am pretty sure I need to go with a 265 or 275 but not as tall. I really just want the MTR's to work!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Did you try spacers?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didnt think spacers was a good idea because the 4.5" backspacing should be equivalent to a 1.5" spacer, RIGHT?? The whole idea was new wheels, no spacers. I talked to my mechanic again and said he will get it back in and find out exactly where it is rubbin. Just difficult to give him all the info from the forum when I am 7,000 miles from the US onboard this wonderful warship!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
255/70 shouldn't rub. i have Nitto Terra Grapplers in 265/65 and they only rub when i make full turns. i just take turns a little wider cause i dont want to bend the pinch weld.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Didnt think spacers was a good idea because the 4.5" backspacing should be equivalent to a 1.5" spacer, RIGHT?? The whole idea was new wheels, no spacers. I talked to my mechanic again and said he will get it back in and find out exactly where it is rubbin. Just difficult to give him all the info from the forum when I am 7,000 miles from the US onboard this wonderful warship!!
In theory yes. Installing 1.5 inch wheel spacers would be equivalent to 4.5 inches of back spacing since the stock wheels have 6 inches of back spacing. However, our wheels are only 7.5 inches wide, not 9 inches wide like the wheels your trying to run. So thats a difference in 1.5 inches. Meaning the wheels that are 9 inches wide will sit out 1.5 inches further then the stock wheels with spacers.

If you want to run new wheels, 17x8's are the way to go. Especially if your running them with a 265mm wide tire.

BTW, good choice on tires. I think im the only one on the forum running them and absolutely love them. I'll definately be buying them again once these ones are bald.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I don't think spacers are a good idea anyway. They put unnessasary stress on the hub.
Wheel spacers don't put anymore stress on a hub then a 17x8 or 17x9 wheel would.

I'm not sure why everyone hates on wheel spacers. I've had mine on for a year now and wheel the piss out of my XK and haven't had one problem yet.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the wheels and tires as a package from 4wheelparts. I am sure my mechanic will find a way to make it work. He just needs to get it back in the shop he said.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the wheels and tires as a package from 4wheelparts. I am sure my mechanic will find a way to make it work. He just needs to get it back in the shop he said.
A big hammer can take care of any clearance problems!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts